Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD - bed wettting and bladder accidents

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:32 pm
Advice please, 6 year old kid who

wets bed at night and
has bladder accidents on his school bus ride Home from school year day

Nighttime we restrict drinks before bed and do wakes up to the bathroom, but all it takes is him sleeping 1 hour and he pees the bed.

bladder accidents on his way home using the school bus, he falls asleep and pees himself.
He also has ADHD so maybe that is contributing.

Normally he is fine, but when sleeps or naps he cannot hold his pee.

Advice needed, please help

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:34 pm
If it. Was only at night I'd say it's Extremely common in adhd families. He'll grow out of it. The school bus is a little different. Have you asked your doctor?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:41 pm
Both the ADHD and the bed wetting are very common symptoms of sleep disordered breathing. Does he have any other symptoms that go along with SDB? (Restless sleeping, waking up in the night, snoring, open mouth breathing, enlarged tonsils) there are more symptoms you can look up online. But may warrant a sleep study or at least a visit to an ENT that can assess.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:42 pm
Make sure to see a urologist to rule out issues. Daytime wetting is something a doctor should look at.

Also, get Dr Sagee's bedwetting alarm. He gives specific exercises for your kid to do in conjunction with the alarm.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
If it. Was only at night I'd say it's Extremely common in adhd families. He'll grow out of it. The school bus is a little different. Have you asked your doctor?

Completely disagree about growing out of it. Yes, the bed wetting will stop eventually but the body will find other ways to wake itself up during sleep to make sure enough oxygen is getting to the brain (bruxism/teeth grinding, snoring, sleep apnea). If you have a concern, don’t ignore it.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:50 pm
This may be helpful. This pediatric urologist claims that most accidents have to do with constipation. (Constipation isn't something you always spot, a child can poop daily and still be constipated.)
https://www.bedwettingandaccidents.com/

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 2:10 pm
The doctor's advice was to just give it time, no underlying medical issue.

He has sensory disorders too, so he doesn't always feel the urgency to go until he is about go burst and then he runs to the bathroom in the nick of time.

He has not had a successful dry night ever. He is a good sleeper.

When he is awake he is fine, but as soon as he sleeps he pees immediately, within an hour.

Is there hope?
Is there a special alarm clock or bed shaker or something?
Do kids outgrow this?

Other younger siblings, without issues, are fine with the night/day staying dry.
I feel bad its hurting his self-esteem.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:03 pm
My son with Adhd overcame bedwetting when we used the malen alarm when he was 9. It was covered by insurance too. It's hard, hatzlocha! Hang on there.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
The doctor's advice was to just give it time, no underlying medical issue.

He has sensory disorders too, so he doesn't always feel the urgency to go until he is about go burst and then he runs to the bathroom in the nick of time.

He has not had a successful dry night ever. He is a good sleeper.

When he is awake he is fine, but as soon as he sleeps he pees immediately, within an hour.

Is there hope?
Is there a special alarm clock or bed shaker or something?
Do kids outgrow this?

Other younger siblings, without issues, are fine with the night/day staying dry.
I feel bad its hurting his self-esteem.

How are his tonsils/adenoids? If they’re large they might be partially obstructing his airway during sleep. It might look like he’s sleeping fine but bed wetting and adhd are symptoms of sleep disordered breathing.

If not that, then it could be from constipation (it puts pressure on the bladder). How often does he have a BM? Does he spend a long time in the bathroom? (Shouldn’t take more than a minute to pass stool). Maybe try a probiotic.

Another thought- has he been checked for diabetes?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:24 pm
If he's 6 and falling asleep on the bus home, he's not sleeping enough at night so please follow the preceding advice. That is more problematic than wetting on the bus home. Daytime wetting still happens with kids this age especially the ones who are sensory, ADHD or for whatever reason not paying attention to their bodily signals.
Can a teacher make sure he goes to the bathroom during English recess? Doing it after dismissal may not work because he may miss the bus.
Those bedtime alarm on the pad things can be helpful for nighttime wetting. New Jersey Medicaid pays for it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:50 am
I struggled with this with my daughter. Call the Guttmann’s at www.handsonotrehab.com. They saved our family. Hatzlacha.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
Completely disagree about growing out of it. Yes, the bed wetting will stop eventually but the body will find other ways to wake itself up during sleep to make sure enough oxygen is getting to the brain (bruxism/teeth grinding, snoring, sleep apnea). If you have a concern, don’t ignore it.

Ectomorph may be correct. My children all have adhd and several had very late bedwetting (two in their teens). We gave medication prescribed by the doctor that helped.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:27 am
We just started with Dr. Sagee. I talked with him on the phone and was very impressed. I’m using it with 3 kids, 8 1/2, 7, and 5. His alarm has a shabbos setting that could only be used once on shabbos. He is Israeli but his system is available internationally. He is takes insurance. Ask about yours. Also ask about ADHD and whatever else may be related.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)