Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Raise your kids without raising your voice

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:39 pm
This book it’s from Sarah chana Radcliffe , I love her posts on Instagram , so I guess the book it’s good too .
Has anyone read it?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:46 pm
No I never read it id like to. I love the title.

If I accomplish nothing else except that my entire life- I'd consider myself a successful person

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:53 pm
I got it from library and had to return it very fast such that I didnt have time to really read it. I read bits here and there and it basically says "be positive be positive be positive and then u can "slip" some constructive criticism in". She also goes over basics like u must be consistent and must have proper consequences for.....

Its a great book so far and I would love to read it but im too busy now to read before it was due.

My only thing is I wish id known about her rules about always being positive positive positive.....before I had kids/before I got married....because I didnt see anyone in my life do this so I have no role models which is why im not good at "hiding" the criticism in positives especially with challenging kids.

I feel like its an impossible task for me and while I do know of a few ppl(who I rarely saw) who are good at hiding negative in the positives, I never saw anyone do it successfully on a regular basis with challenging kids/relationships. She does include examples in her book(although a lot of the book is general). But, the examples are not specific enough for my challenges/life such that I dont know how to apply it to my kids.

momtra

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:15 pm
I find it to be very helpful and practical.
Definitely recommend!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:40 pm
The title seems like something I need and would appreciate. What's her name on instagram?

giselle

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
I got it from library and had to return it very fast such that I didnt have time to really read it. I read bits here and there and it basically says "be positive be positive be positive and then u can "slip" some constructive criticism in". She also goes over basics like u must be consistent and must have proper consequences for.....

Its a great book so far and I would love to read it but im too busy now to read before it was due.

My only thing is I wish id known about her rules about always being positive positive positive.....before I had kids/before I got married....because I didnt see anyone in my life do this so I have no role models which is why im not good at "hiding" the criticism in positives especially with challenging kids.

I feel like its an impossible task for me and while I do know of a few ppl(who I rarely saw) who are good at hiding negative in the positives, I never saw anyone do it successfully on a regular basis with challenging kids/relationships. She does include examples in her book(although a lot of the book is general). But, the examples are not specific enough for my challenges/life such that I dont know how to apply it to my kids.

Something I’ve found helpful is when I’m about to criticize one of my children, I instead say something positive. Even when I feel like I’m about to nag them about something they should have done on their own - for ex. put away their shoes - instead I’ll let them know how much I appreciate that they hung up their backpacks. Sometimes the criticism still needs to be said after the positive statement, but so many times it’s really not necessary. Which you’ll realize after you say something positive. I’ve seen an immediate change in attitude and behavior based on how positive I am with them. Which is so encouraging.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:50 pm
giselle wrote:
Something I’ve found helpful is when I’m about to criticize one of my children, I instead say something positive. Even when I feel like I’m about to nag them about something they should have done on their own - for ex. put away their shoes - instead I’ll let them know how much I appreciate that they hung up their backpacks. Sometimes the criticism still needs to be said after the positive statement, but so many times it’s really not necessary. Which you’ll realize after you say something positive. I’ve seen an immediate change in attitude and behavior based on how positive I am with them. Which is so encouraging.

It's true. I've seen the same instant change in their attitude and behavior when I changed mine.

Question: how do you remember in the heat of the moment to switch gears? That's what trips me up with all parenting techniques I've ever seen.

giselle

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
It's true. I've seen the same instant change in their attitude and behavior when I changed mine.

Question: how do you remember in the heat of the moment to switch gears? That's what trips me up with all parenting techniques I've ever seen.

I don’t always. But it creates a calm atmosphere which in turn keeps you calmer as a mom overall. And practice makes (almost) perfect.

smss

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:36 pm
It's a great book. I gained a lot from it.

Are you signed up for her daily parenting emails, OP?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
The title seems like something I need and would appreciate. What's her name on instagram?

@sarahchanaradcliffe

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:48 am
Thanks for your responses! I do receive her emails and I like a lot her advice
I’m just tired of all those parenting books that just tell you everything you are doing is wrong and then don’t tell you how to fix it or the do tell you but it doesn’t work
Bc I see that her advice on Instagram it’s very practical I wanted to know if the book it’s too ...
I think I buying and will let you know

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 7:28 am
I read it a long time ago but I remember thinking it was a good overall basic practical parenting book. If someone is interested in following a full approach and wants one parenting book on their shelf, this would be a good pick. Not super philosophical, more down to earth.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:01 am
seeker wrote:
I read it a long time ago but I remember thinking it was a good overall basic practical parenting book. If someone is interested in following a full approach and wants one parenting book on their shelf, this would be a good pick. Not super philosophical, more down to earth.

Agreed. I like her stuff.

I tend to do better with systematic books but her writing on facebook is very practical.

I like books that give me the words to say. I wish she included more practice conversations. She does include some. That's why I prefer the empowered wife and how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk. They give a lot of the words I need.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:08 am
giselle wrote:

Great advice. Thanks.

BlueMarker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 9:12 am
One of the best parenting book I read! Loved it

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:35 am
BlueMarker wrote:
One of the best parenting book I read! Loved it

Good to know!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 10:56 am
I was underwhelmed. I much prefer delicate balance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room