Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
What's your go-to easy shabbos cake?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

serenity8843

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:27 am
This may not be the easiest, but it is so yummy that it's worth the extra effort/bit of time. In Susie Fischbein's cookbook, The Kosher Palate II, there is a heavenly chocolate babka recipe. I've made it so many times. It's always a winner-- And it really does not feel like such a potchka.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 7:49 am
Amaretto cake!

BA

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 5:05 pm
etky wrote:
This too.
I make a nearly identical recipe all the time (using regular flour + baking powder) and it needs to bake at least 50 min.

I just made this cake also with regular flour and of course it flopped! How much baking powder do you use? any way someone could fix the original post with the recipe so more people don't mess it up or at least stress that it needs to be self rising flour?

noosheen

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:07 am
crust wrote:
Chocolate chip cake

3/4 box brown sugar (dark or light)
3 eggs
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
2 table vanilla
1 cup oil
3 cups flour
1 pk chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients with a fork
Pour mixture into a flat cookie sheet
Bake for 22 minutes on 350

flowerpower is this the cake you posted about on page 1?

How is this cake baked on a flat cookie sheet? Are they bars? Or is it a cake?

I tried the 6 minute eggless chocolate cake in this thread and was Delish.
Made them into cupcakes with the glaze. Really easy and decadent!!

batya315

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:54 am
I usually make a Bundt cake using the food processor when it's anyhow out for kugel/dips. No extra bowls to wash - and no mixer.

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:00 am
For blondies I love the one pan no mixer Pesach blondies from betweencsrpools.com
Since it’s Pesach it’s gluten free. Also you can use sugar substitute and it still tastes great. 👍

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:03 am
noosheen wrote:

I tried the 6 minute eggless chocolate cake in this thread and was Delish.
Made them into cupcakes with the glaze. Really easy and decadent!!

I also made the 6 minute cake this Shabbat and it. Is. Ammaaazing!!! Can't believe such a simple recipe can yield such a moist delicious Shabbat treat !

Waves

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:21 am
etky wrote:
This too.
I make a nearly identical recipe all the time (using regular flour + baking powder) and it needs to bake at least 50 min.

Last edited by Waves on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:31 am
hodeez wrote:
I also made the 6 minute cake this Shabbat and it. Is. Ammaaazing!!! Can't believe such a simple recipe can yield such a moist delicious Shabbat treat !

In our house this cake is called Wacky Cake. My mother used to make it back in the seventies. I rediscovered it through Allrecipes a number of years ago. I make it often as part of my shabbat dessert rotation.
The recipe I use is half the one written here.
I bake it in a smallish round pan. When the cake is completely cool (I often bake it a day before) I split it in half width-wise to make two layers. I put parve whip cream (with a couple of Tblsp of vanilla pudding powder to stabilize it) between the layers and I pour a chocolate ganache (made with coconut cream + bittersweet chocolate) over the top. I serve it chilled.
It is delicious. When I make it this way we call it Devil Dog Cake and that is exactly what it tastes like.
Sometimes I will make it into individual cupcakes. When I do this I stick a square or two of bittersweet chocolate into the batter of each cupcake before baking. Then I sprinkle choc. chips on top while they are still warm from the oven and smear them on top to create a glaze once they melt. I serve this version warm and people eat it with a spoon.
Also yummy Smile

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:37 am
Orange Cake:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup orange juice
1 pack instant vanilla pudding
1 heaping TBSP vanilla sugar
3 tsp baking powder

Mix. Pour into Bundt pan. Bake at 350. The person I got it from bakes it for 50 min. For my oven, I perfected it at 1 hour 18 min. So I would say check it at about an hour and see if it needs more time

So easy to make and it's delicious. Also good for those who want something other than a chocolate cake.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:47 am
BKIND wrote:
Can u share your recipe please? Looking for a simple marble cake. Thanks!

It's exactly the same as the one posted except that I add 2 Tablespoons of vanilla together with the liquid ingredients.
With the dry ingredients, I add 1 Tablespoon of baking powder (very important or else the cake will not rise).
I find that using real OJ makes a big difference to the taste of the cake. I also like to beat the eggs very well with the sugar before adding the liquids.
After I add the dry ingredients I mix it minimally to prevent a tough cake.

Waves

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:24 pm
Yum

Last edited by Waves on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:26 pm
etky wrote:
It's exactly the same as the one posted except that I add 2 Tablespoons of vanilla together with the liquid ingredients.
With the dry ingredients, I add 1 Tablespoon of baking powder (very important or else the cake will not rise).
I find that using real OJ makes a big difference to the taste of the cake. I also like to beat the eggs very well with the sugar before adding the liquids.
After I add the dry ingredients I mix it minimally to prevent a tough cake.

2 tablespoons vanilla sugar or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract?

BKIND, OJ is orange juice.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:32 pm
BKIND wrote:
What’s OJ?
And how long do u bake & what temp? Thanks!!

Orange Juice.
I bake it at 350.
If in a 9 x 13 or Bundt then for an hour.
More often I divide the recipe between 3 smallish loaf pans in which case I will bake them for 45-50 minutes.
When I make 3 loaf cakes I only make one marble. The others I will add other things to: chocolate chips + orange or lemon peel; maple extract + chopped pecans; cinnamon + a chopped up apple; crumb topping; coconut, etc. m
That way I get three different cakes from one plain vanilla batter.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract?

BKIND, OJ is orange juice.

Extract

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:44 pm
etky wrote:
Extract

Wow that's a lot. That's equivalent to 6 Tbsp vanilla sugar.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wow that's a lot. That's equivalent to 6 Tbsp vanilla sugar.

Yup. It is a lot. I think the cake benefits from it, but you can always add less to taste.
Miind you, I use the imitation Israeli stuff.
My supermarket doesn't even stock the real thing and if it did I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:52 pm
etky wrote:
Yup. It is a lot. I think the cake benefits from it, but you can always add less to taste.
Miind you, I use the imitation Israeli stuff.
My supermarket doesn't even stock the real thing and if it did I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

I use pure vanilla and usually use 2 teaspoons. Maybe I'll up it to 4 teaspoons (6 teaspoons would be your two tablespoons) and see now it goes.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins