Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My 6 yo developed a huge appetite

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:59 am
He went from eating the minimum to wanting a ton of food and devouring it. He won’t touch fruits or veggies it’s cake and snacks mainly but boy will he eat a lot of that. He always complains that he’s hungry. He eats protein at meals and sometimes soup as well.

I hold my breath but don’t want to be his food control authority. I keep on reminding him to tune into how he feels and if he still feels hungry but if he says yes I let him eat while biting my lips.

Is this ok? How do I go about it?

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:01 pm
Could be growth spurt

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:06 pm
Could be insulin resistance developing. More and more children every year are developing type 2 diabetes. He eats cake, his sugar rises, he makes insulin and gets hungry again. Cut the garbage out at home. All of it. Don’t be his ‘dealer.’ He will get some garbage outside. Serve whole, unprocessed food. He won’t starve.

Maybe you’ll save him the 44 years of eating disorder and obesity I developed when I was six.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
He went from eating the minimum to wanting a ton of food and devouring it. He won’t touch fruits or veggies it’s cake and snacks mainly but boy will he eat a lot of that. He always complains that he’s hungry. He eats protein at meals and sometimes soup as well.

I hold my breath but don’t want to be his food control authority. I keep on reminding him to tune into how he feels and if he still feels hungry but if he says yes I let him eat while biting my lips.

Is this ok? How do I go about it?

As dankbar suggested, this sounds like a growth spurt.

For the time being (unless it gets really out of control), can you focus on what food he is eating, as opposed to how much? His diet shouldn't be consisted of that much cake and snacks. He is a bit young, but would he be able to give you a list of the healthy food he likes and make those readily available for him?

If it's a growth spurt, it will settle with time. But all that sugar in his system will create a continuous addiction for more.

nnmom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 1:54 pm
I’m a parent of a 6 year old boy who would prefer to eat junk food but does eat very healthy because we don’t have junk food available during the week.
When he asks for treats- I just say we don’t have any. He will eat whole grain crackers as a crunchy treat.
He is eating more the last couple days because of a growth spurt. I put cut up vegetable in front of him and he ate a whole plate. And then two servings of chicken. And he was still hungry and he did get dessert at the shabbos table because he ate all of his main food.
If you are making sure he is first filling up on the right stuff then you have nothing to worry about.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 1:55 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Could be insulin resistance developing. More and more children every year are developing type 2 diabetes. He eats cake, his sugar rises, he makes insulin and gets hungry again. Cut the garbage out at home. All of it. Don’t be his ‘dealer.’ He will get some garbage outside. Serve whole, unprocessed food. He won’t starve.

Maybe you’ll save him the 44 years of eating disorder and obesity I developed when I was six.

This. My mother was a lonely, sad, only child. She was "cheered up" by cookies, cake, and candy by her grandmother and parents. They thought that "chubby was cute".

She died very young because of weight related problems, mainly fatty liver disease.

Your child may "want", but you are the adult. Let him have a fit, and keep feeding him healthy food. A six year old should not be in control of the menu. He needs you to keep him safe.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 1:59 pm
Ff you are scaring me. I was told already over 10 yrs ago that I have fatty liver

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:15 pm
dankbar wrote:
Ff you are scaring me. I was told already over 10 yrs ago that I have fatty liver

Are you seeing a nutritionist? There is a special diet that can help you control it, and even shrink the fat deposits.

My mother was so addicted to food that I think she just gave up and decided that she would rather die than "starve herself".

I think the worst part was watching my dad watch my mom go through this. He absolutely adored her, and her death nearly broke him to pieces.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:29 pm
What diet is meant for fatty liver?

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:31 pm
How much does your 6 yo weigh? Mine loves carb or junk food & is also gaining weight fast.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:34 pm
https://idmprogram.com/fatty-liver-t2d-25/

The answer in a child is eating whole, unprocessed foods.

In an adult, low carb fixes it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:35 pm
https://www.dietdoctor.com/fat.....-home

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:37 pm
https:https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PREVIEW_-Jason-Fung-Interview-Breckenridge-2017-2.pdf//www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PREVIEW_-Jason-Fung-Interview-Breckenridge-2017-2.pdf
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics