Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
I’ve been throwing out dips that are older than 2 weeks old
Previous  1  2

smile12345

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:36 am
thanks wrote:
I keep mayonnaise in my fridge for a really long time. Never understood why people don't keep dips.

Vegetables are more perishable than mayonnaise. Most dips include that.

And some dips are basically like a veg stir fry, just in tiny pieces or blended, so it really can't last for long. But these types often freeze well.

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:00 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Olive Dip

In a 16 oz disposable container, fill half the container with olives that are pitted and have pimentos in them. Add mayonaisse , drop lemon juice, squirt sriracha sauce (adds a kick) , drop of water .
Blend with immersion blender. Cover and refrigerate.

Jalapeño Dip

3 jalapeño peppers with insides and seeds removed cut into small pieces
2 frozen crushed garlic
Mayonaisse
1 Tbsp lemon juice
A few Tbsp water but not too much
Salt to taste
Put all ingredients into 16 oz plastic disposable container, blend with immersion blender. Cover . Refrigerate .

Thanks. I think Ill try the Olive Dip recipe (it seems easy), but Ill substitute broccoli and spinach, etc

As far as the Jalapeno Dip, I thought its the seeds that make it spicy? Are all the seeds removed?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:04 am
Mevater wrote:
Thanks. I think Ill try the Olive Dip recipe (it seems easy), but Ill substitute broccoli and spinach, etc

As far as the Jalapeno Dip, I thought its the seeds that make it spicy? Are all the seeds removed?

It comes out like the Golden Taste Mild Jalapeño Dip. I find the smaller the pepper the more spicy it is. So if you have slightly larger peppers you can add some seeds if you need it hot.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:33 am
Mevater wrote:
Can you all tell me how you make a variety of homemade dips (and which dips, with recipes, please) weekly, without spending all your time before Shabbos, making dips?

Like others said, I freeze them. I also freeze the mayo based ones. I freeze it without the mayonnaise. Right now I have absolutely no room in my freezer, but we had techina and mayo free babganush in the fridge from the previous week so last week I hoped for the best. The techina was starting to get funky, but that's because it was more than a week old and the babganush was perfect.

emmes

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:50 am
I keep my dips for 2 Shabbosim, about 10 days. Store bought and homemade. I always add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to the homemade dips, to be on the safe side.

happyone

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:04 am
We make every second week. unfortunately my 'household members' have large appetites and theres no need to toss.

simba

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:09 am
I find that keeping dips in a glass container give them a longer shelf life.

Ridethewaves

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:43 pm
We make these: only takes a few minutes before Shabbos, yummier, healthier, cheaper...

Roasted garlic: prepeeled garlic (Costco or bingo), light olive oil to cover garlic, salt, pepper. Place in ramekin, cover in foil. Cook at whatever temp my oven is on and adjust time accordingly (about 35min@350)

Spicy mayo: mix schug and mayo

Crunchy dill dip: chop tiny dill pickles, mayo, pickle juice, dried dill

Buy chummus/techina. Sprinkle zaater.

Ridethewaves

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:44 pm
Make just enough for Shabbos so I don’t have to worry about leftovers. If there are any I throw out. (But usually all eaten;)

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:55 pm
Mevater wrote:
Can you all tell me how you make a variety of homemade dips (and which dips, with recipes, please) weekly, without spending all your time before Shabbos, making dips?

Olive dip: blend olives and mayo with hand blender
Tomoto dip: Blend tomatoes oil and spices with hand blender
Dill dip: mix mayo, dried dill, a drop of lemon juice, water and spices
Total takes 10 minutes

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 1:28 am
Is there anything healthier than mayo, that could be substituted for the mayo, in dip recipes (that doesnt go bad quickly)?

And how do Homemade Avocado dips not get yucky looking (I read about putting Saran Wrap tightly against the top of the dip, or leaving the pit in)? I assume the store bought Avocado dips are full of chemicals and preservatives.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains