Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to prevent my son from becoming a statistic?!?!?!?!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:22 am
Sorry about the caps su7kids My shift key was stuck.

bigmomma

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:24 am
How about Darchei Menachem? I believe they now have mesivta classes. This is a real outstanding school.

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 4:04 pm
This is not a recommendation because I know nothing about it. Just sharing information. There's a yeshiva called "MyYeshiva" which advertises:

Are you struggling with Gemara?
Do you have questions you need to ask without being judged?

it's in Minnesota

www.MyYeshiva.org

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 4:44 pm
Quote:
This Rebbe just ignores my son, the last interaction they had was when a small group of boys were reviewing and one of them was trying to explain a point to my son and the Rebbe said "don't bother he'll (pointing to my son) never get it anyways".
What an insensitive thing to say! Sad How disheartening that can be! Did you speak to the Rebbe about that?

Quote:
agree about the alternative schools. probably not being the best place for OP's son , I don't know if Hamesivta. is for mainstream boys either. It might be billed as such, but how serious the kids are that go there, I'm not sure. (it's on Ocean Parkway).
I've had a chance since I wrote this post to ask a little more around. I still don't have a clear picture, but there are some extremely capable and devoted teachers, "teiyere" Chassidishe yungeleit, teaching there. The student body is smallish, so there is a good ratio enabling lots of attention. I can try to find out more, about the students themselves.

The wife of one teacher there told me that the kids are all serious, they don't accept, (or keep) anyone who "fools around". They may come from more "American" type of homes, but they are good boys who want to learn. So my previous impression was a bit off.

And I hear wonderful things about Darchei Menachem too.

debs123

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 5:07 pm
We have heard excellent things about Yeshiva Gedola Lubavitch of South Africa. It's run by Rabbi Wagner and he really cares about each bochur. It's a small yeshiva and bochurim are like his kids... The standard of learning may be a bit higher than what you're looking for - but maybe give it a try.

ffbmom

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 9:19 pm
The fallacy in the frum school system is that anyone can be a good teacher. This may be true for a "regular" child, but our classrooms are filled less and less with "regular" children, so it is a skill one really has to study for.

You mention writing difficulties. Some of these writing difficulties may be having to do with short term memory. For a child to string a paragraph together, he needs to know many things simultaneously. I've found some fabulous sites that can help. First of all, try [http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/comic/index.html
This site helps the child take writing into steps and write a letter or a comic strip. Also, you could download a programme called Kidspiration for free for 30 days. It's also a great programme to organize information in writing. Please teach him to do wordprocessing instead of writing- will be very helpful. I can't help much with choice of schools or gemarra, but if you want anything else in English you can pm me.

Hatzlacha Rabba

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 11:05 pm
there is a wonderful shcool in Monsey for 'regular' kids. there are kids of many hashkofos there (litvish, yeshivish, chassidish and lubavitch) although who is in what year varies. Classes are small, learning is completely personalized and there are numerous activities to bolster confidance and welf-worth. Please pm me for more info, I know the school very very well.

Also, there is a good lub. school here is Montreal (there is quite a large community here), I don't know much about the schools they run but can get more info if you are interested.

Hatzlacha

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:17 am
ffbmom wrote:
our classrooms are filled less and less with "regular" children

why is that?

Chani

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:00 pm
My pet theory, Motek? B/c our society has a tendency to medicalize what used to be considered normal behavior. The range of what is perceived to be normal has become much more narrow over time. Personally I think it is a pity, and causes more problems than it solves.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:10 pm
I don't know... while kids are said to become more and more chutzpadik, difficult and in younger and younger classes, I attended a public school with 38 to 42 children per class, much noise, kids with "problems" (health, divorce parents...) and still most of them managed to graduate hs...

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:44 pm
In terms of being Lubavitch, I have no idea if these would be suitable. But that aside, I have two suggestions for you:
One is called Sha'arei Arazim and is in or near Queens, NY.

PM me if you are interested in the other.

~Debbie

PS. I also have a son finishing 8th!

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:07 pm
5boysMom wrote:
In terms of being Lubavitch, I have no idea if these would be suitable. But that aside, I have two suggestions for you:
One is called Sha'arei Arazim and is in or near Queens, NY.

It's in Monsey. And definitely not Lubavitch.

ganizzy

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 4:04 pm
I dont know much about it but theres a lubavitch school in buffalo

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 4:57 pm
Chani wrote:
My pet theory, Motek? B/c our society has a tendency to medicalize what used to be considered normal behavior. The range of what is perceived to be normal has become much more narrow over time. Personally I think it is a pity, and causes more problems than it solves.

I'm inclined to think it's because we didn't know there were reasons behind certain behaviors in the past, and therefore couldn't treat them appropriately. So children with learning disabilities or attention deficit disorders were labeled stupid and lazy and beaten. I like the way we do it today better.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:16 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I'm inclined to think it's because we didn't know there were reasons behind certain behaviors in the past, and therefore couldn't treat them appropriately. So children with learning disabilities or attention deficit disorders were labeled stupid and lazy and beaten. I like the way we do it today better.

This thread is 11 years old. I wonder where OP sent her son and how he's doing but I doubt she's still here.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:02 pm
Working memory is what you use to do math in your head or learn gemara-keeping several thoughts in your head at the same time.

hotzenplotz

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:06 pm
There is Rabbi Shaul Klein who can figure out what is going on and how to teach him.

In boro park, at 1360 44th street.

718 633 8890

Worth a trip from anywhere.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:26 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:
There is Rabbi Shaul Klein who can figure out what is going on and how to teach him.

In boro park, at 1360 44th street.

718 633 8890

Worth a trip from anywhere.

The kid is already and adult

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:06 am
Zehava wrote:
The kid is already and adult

but at what age did he start feeling like one?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics