Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Trying to order a plastic pistol from Amazon but

crust

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:00 pm
It won't "ship to my address".
Is there a law against It? What can be the issue?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:02 pm
Under New York State law, toy guns must feature two orange stripes on the barrel as well as an orange cap. Does the pistol you're trying to order comply with those laws?

nycgal

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:06 pm
I think it has to do with what state you live in. There are federal, state and city laws regarding what type of toy guns are allowed to be sold.

meme6

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:47 pm
Yup there are laws against it I bought a water gun in Walmart and spray painted it but left some color showing cause it’s illegal otherwise

crust

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:07 am
It has an orange cap. Im going to look for one that complies. Thanks for enlightening me.
This boy claims he's not a real secret service without that gun. Gotta find one!

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:08 am
NYC laws are even stricter. I think it needs to be entirely brightly colored.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:48 am
Off topic, I understand the purpose of this law is to prevent unfortunate situations where someone gets attacked because they appear to be armed when it's just a toy. But how does that work when someone could really just take a real gun and paint it colors? Am I missing something basic here?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:33 am
seeker wrote:
Off topic, I understand the purpose of this law is to prevent unfortunate situations where someone gets attacked because they appear to be armed when it's just a toy. But how does that work when someone could really just take a real gun and paint it colors? Am I missing something basic here?

That people shouldn't be painting toy guns if it's against the law in their city?

I wonder if/how this is enforced, especially on Purim. I let my kids choose costumes but if they pick one that "requires" a gun they know they will need to do without.

meme6

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:36 am
youngishbear wrote:
That people shouldn't be painting toy guns if it's against the law in their city?

I wonder if/how this is enforced, especially on Purim. I let my kids choose costumes but if they pick one that "requires" a gun they know they will need to do without.

You can paint a gun black as long as there is color showing so I left very visible color showing orange tip and trigger it’s not against the law

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:38 am
I meant the opposite, that people could take a real gun and paint it like a toy so people will not know to defend themselves.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:43 am
Years ago I had this issue when looking for toy rifles when we dressed up as hunters. We were able to get them in the end but I think the laws became even stricter with new rules since.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:46 am
meme6 wrote:
You can paint a gun black as long as there is color showing so I left very visible color showing orange tip and trigger it’s not against the law

In NYC the laws are stricter than state law.

"g.

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sell, possess or use or attempt to use or give away, any toy or imitation firearm which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm unless:

(a) the entire exterior surface of such toy or imitation firearm is colored white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern; or
(b) such toy or imitation firearm is constructed entirely of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable observation of the imitation or toy firearm’s complete contents"

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:52 am
seeker wrote:
I meant the opposite, that people could take a real gun and paint it like a toy so people will not know to defend themselves.

With the invention of 3D printers, what's the point of any gun control law?

I was thinking that the colored toy guns are to protect kids/teens from being shot by police for suspicion of being armed and dangerous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics