Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Seder menu ideas
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:22 pm
dankbar wrote:
I do fish, chicken soup, coated fried cutlets or chicken/veggie patties, potato kugel, apple kugel, compote. Salads we have homemade mayo, homemade chrein, homemade cucumber salad, beet salad, coleslaw made from kohlrabi.

Mayo and chrein are salads?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:56 pm
Our Seder meal starts with a hard boiled egg for those who want it, followed by chicken soup, then stovetop mushroom chicken, corned beef, a green salad and potatoes in some form (maybe sweet potatoes). Ices for dessert.

The next day for lunch, serve cold sliced corned beef with potato salad made from leftover karpas, cabbage salad and roast zucchini or cauliflower "rice" with carrots. I have people who don't eat red meat, so I will have to come up with some kind of chicken for them.

pause

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:02 pm
We always have hardboiled eggs in saltwater
fish with chrein
chicken soup with veggies, lukshen, and chremslach
chicken from the soup and flanken cooked for a long time and then added to the chicken soup
sides of: potato kugel, cucumber salad, beet salad, and carrot salad
applesauce compote

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:08 pm
I was a guest for many, many years and I was so grateful for being hosted and happy to eat whatever was served. But all the talk about how everyone's so full, and for sure no one will eat, made it very hard to actually reach out and take the food that was served, even though it was on the table.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:22 pm
Everyone always complains about too much food but then they eat it...

What I served at the seders:
Meatballs for kids
Stuffed cabbage
Brisket in wine sauce
Chicken in wine sauce
Ribs

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:24 pm
We have no problem eating at the seder. All gets polished off.

I think no one needs fancy because it's late at night, but many are happy to have some good, hearty food ESPECIALLY after all the dry matzah.

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:35 pm
watergirl wrote:

Sorry chatasi, salads/dips these we serve by every meal. We do minimal ingredients & everything from scratch/ no storebought

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:39 pm
We also only use vegetables that can be peeled so have very limited ing that I can work with

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:41 pm
watergirl wrote:

Maybe salad dressing ingredients?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
I was a guest for many, many years and I was so grateful for being hosted and happy to eat whatever was served. But all the talk about how everyone's so full, and for sure no one will eat, made it very hard to actually reach out and take the food that was served, even though it was on the table.

I understand it’s uncomfortable to be the only one who seems to want to eat, but it would probably delight any hostess to feel she didn’t work so hard for nothing and at least someone was enjoying and appreciating.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:46 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Everyone always complains about too much food but then they eat it...

What I served at the seders:
Meatballs for kids
Stuffed cabbage
Brisket in wine sauce
Chicken in wine sauce
Ribs

Yumm I’ll eat any and all of that anytime!

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:47 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Maybe salad dressing ingredients?

Yes once I have homemade mayo ( don't use storebought) then I can make other things with it as well like coleslaw, eggplant babaganush, avocado salad....
I serve mayo to fish at every meal so yes its sort of like part of dip course.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
Yumm I’ll eat any and all of that anytime!

(Confession: I use the frozen meal Mart stuffed cabbage. It's actually delicious and tastes homemade.)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
Did u check with a rabbi if u can make that meat that way? It could be considered roasting

My husband is B"H sufficiently learned in this area....and he says if meat is cooked with sufficient liquid - and the kugel is quite liquidy - it is not roasting. I also cover it, so that it does not get roasted.

I basically make my potato kugel recipe. I use a pocket veal, but I remove the bones. I put the veal in a large roaster, and pour the kugel all around the meat. I cover it tightly with foil, and bake for 2-3 hours.

When it's done, I take the meat off and slice it, and then serve the sliced meat with the kugel stuffing.

It's a favorite meal with my family.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics