Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kol Foods and Grow and Behold

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:05 am
Talking about this in IRL that's why anonymous.

I only saw old discussions on Imamother about this. So...I do buy grass fed beef locally in my oot store (but who knows what their definition of "grass fed" is!) Now I'm looking into buying pastured chicken. $$$Ahh!!! Only options seem Grow and Behold and Kol Foods online. Is there a difference? Kol Foods seemed to have higher standards from what I recall. Can anyone speak to that difference and anything else with your experience with either one or the other company. Or is there a third option? (Not only organic, but actually pastured chicken.)

Any way to keep costs down? Can you sign up as a wholesaler if you have a business or non profit tax ID number and order a large amount twice or 4 times a year with a few people?

Thanks imas!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:48 am
I used to order from KOL regularly for a couple of years. It got out of control money-wise and I stopped. I mean, eating a chicken that costs $42 plus shipping is really meant for someone with a much higher income bracket than mine.

I tried Grow and Behold more recently. Mostly happy with the products. (Minus the chicken wings that looked like they were sporting a winter coat). Somewhat lower than KOL prices, but their shipping seemed higher so maybe in the end it came out the same.

Yes, KOL is higher standard. G&B grass fed is still "grain finished" I believe.... meaning they fatten them up at the end of their life I guess. Not sure what the deal is with the poultry.

I've decided that I'm mostly going to just buy whatever grass-fed/ organic meats and poultry I can locally. What I will continue to buy, either from KOL or G&B, is bones for making broth. For that I really want best quality I can get and it's something I feel I can afford.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen