Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Purim gift for teachers

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:10 pm
My 3 year old is in nursery. I know it’s customary to give money for Chanukah and I gave but is it also customary to give for Purim. They are asking for $25 per kid. I gave that amount for Chanukah but it seems like a lot for Purim.....after all how much does a group shalach monos cost (it’s 2 teachers)

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:25 pm
This teacher gelt thing has gotten totally out of hand. The are trying to make up for low salarys with your extra “gifts”. They want you to feel badly because its almost pesach.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:53 pm
A $25 tip for a teacher twice a year is not alot. It's nice to show appreciation.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:11 pm
Im just trying to figure out if this is normal in other schools. Growing up my parents gave money for Chanukah and whoever wanted gave the teacher shalach monos.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:14 pm
As a kindergarten teacher I used to get a gift certificate or giftcard from entire class together, for Chanuka. Purim everyone did their own thing. Most of students gave tip or gift together with shalach manos. Some kept the food really minimal like a small bar of Choco & a check.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:30 pm
Usually Purim people do their own thing. I give mm and a little moola inside.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:37 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Usually Purim people do their own thing. I give mm and a little moola inside.

We always do school mishloach manot, where each teacher receives a basket and a tip.

$25 for 2 teachers doesn't seem out of line. (Are you sure its just 2 teachers; our schools usually include administration and staff -- principal, secretaries, cleaning crew, etc.) But if you don't have it, just tell the organizers that its not in the budget, you can give $10. Or whatever.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:40 pm
I never do other than tuition

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:56 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I never do other than tuition

But is is the norm in your schools and your community to give mishloach manot, individually or from the class, or to otherwise tip?

There's a big difference between "we don't do that here" and "everyone else gives, but I choose not to." Although, obviously, its your choice.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:47 pm
Interesting....I would definitely give mm...didn’t know plus money was the norm

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
A $25 tip for a teacher twice a year is not alot. It's nice to show appreciation.

Zek: (in an annoyed voice) "What are you doing here Quark!?"
Quark: (nervously) Oh, I just came to pay my respects.
Zek: (pointing to a small recepticle next to Quark) "So PAY THEM!"

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:33 pm
I find it interesting that my son's school never asks for Chanukah tips or Purim gifts and the rebbeim are so willing to return phone calls, discuss my child's needs, adjust class material for him or allow him leeway as need be. So available and giving.

And my daughters' school has classmothers to nudge parents to demand gift money for Chanukah and sends notices about Purim and asks for school donations and the teachers barely return a call and anything you ask about is oh well for that the teacher can do extra paid tutoring. And then at a recent event, the school founder said I don't know why our school has such a hard time getting support from parents. Gee, you wonder.

Like it or not, being a teacher doesn't come with a mandatory 18% tip included like at a restaurant.

If you want and you can, great. But the "es kumt mir" attitude, I don't like that.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:15 pm
I'm a teacher at a preschool. The parents (who want to) contribute money toward gift cards for us for chanukah and the end of the year (not all of them do, and no I don't look through the list trying to figure out who didn't- I'm a teacher living on a low salary and I understand $ being tight). We do NOT get money on Purim. I think it's such a weird concept (I guess because it's not done at my school). I get mishloach monot from some of the children, but not nearly half of the class.

I purchased mishloach monot for my child's teachers this year. I spent around $8 on each and think they turned out pretty cute.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
My 3 year old is in nursery. I know it’s customary to give money for Chanukah and I gave but is it also customary to give for Purim. They are asking for $25 per kid. I gave that amount for Chanukah but it seems like a lot for Purim.....after all how much does a group shalach monos cost (it’s 2 teachers)

An appropriate tip where I live is $20-$25 per teacher. Most don't just give an envelope, so add the costs of a chocolate bar or full MM. I have two preschool kids with 5 teachers/assistants between them. There's also the bus driver and the bus assistants, one for the morning route and one in the afternoon.

I'm just letting OP know that it could be worse...

happy mommy6

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:53 am
Seems alot to me! Where I live its not the norm.
I made a list of my kids principals, teachers, and aides and it came to close to 50!! This year just giving rabbeim.... wish I could do more....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics