Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Your reaction when you knew

Beyla

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 6:40 pm
I’m just curious, what was your reaction when you knew you were having twins? How did you find out? Did you have a feeling it was not just one baby? Very Happy

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:17 pm
USG at 6 weeks to confirm pgcy. Disappointed when dr. said he saw a heartbeat, blurted our “just one? Are you sure?” and felt so stupid for saying that. He looked again and found the second. Thrilled to pieces. Hashem’s greatest gift. They still are. But I won’t lie. When they were small, it was very, very hard. Had to remind myself to be glad they weren’t triplets.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:28 pm
I went to the dr to hear the baby's heartbeat. Late DH couldn't come as he was so busy. I went to his office, and he stood up and he asked me if it was beautiful. I said the babies heartbeats were indeed beautiful. He said, "babies, how many?" I said 3 and he collapsed in his chair.

We did this same schtick to his mother later that night.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:51 pm
https://twistedsifter.com/vide.....lets/

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:00 pm
I was lying down when the sonographer said to me .----" you are having twins ".
I said " oh you are just kidding"!!!
then she showed me the screen (the sonogram ) and I saw my "twins"
I jumped off the table in shock and yelled AM I on CANDID CAMERA ??????
(thats an old tv show where they play tricks on people)
next I asked if one of the ( the twins ) was a girl ??since I already had a son 10 months earlier , she said yes -
I had healthy identical twin girls .
my husband who is a twin was with me and I jockingly started to hit him and said it is you"re
fault we are having twins because you are a twin .

I saw a site today that might be useful to new moms
mothers of crown heights.com

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:19 pm
We have no twins in the family. My sister went for her first sonogram and the sonographer said, "well, they both look good." And my sister said blankly, "both ovaries?"

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:21 pm
I found out after the first was born. It was awesome! What an amazing surprise! (I was not thrilled to hear that labor WASN'T over yet, as I had assumed...)

Big babies sleep much better, so it was tough to deal with little 7-lbers. We survived though.

I keep wishing to have another set!

happinessseeker

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
I found out after the first was born. It was awesome! What an amazing surprise! (I was not thrilled to hear that labor WASN'T over yet, as I had assumed...)

Big babies sleep much better, so it was tough to deal with little 7-lbers. We survived though.

Omg!! How long ago was this? And how big were your other babies that 7 lbs was considered small LOL Surprised

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:

Did you just say "little 7 lbers"??? My twins were 4lbs. (and slept fine)
And none of my kids were more than 6 and change. I have small babies (they sleep fine, though)

I was sort of expecting that it's going to be twins, because we transferred two embryos (IVF) but it was still super exciting, just not shocking.

ETA: Wow! You didn't know your whole pregnancy! You didn't have a much harder pregnancy? Didn't show earlier, and grow much bigger? I'm guessing you're chabad - that you didn't have sonograms? I can't imagine finding out when the babies are born!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:32 pm
My coworker had triplets after multiple children. I asked her what it was like when she found out. She said, it's as if you're standing in the kitchen and you turn around, and there is a real live elephant! It's so not on your radar, so not a "thing" that you don't even absorb the reality right away.

My sister has twins (not her first child). She came in for her 20 week sono, at about 25 weeks, settles herself comfortably and says jokingly, "There's only one in there, right?" The sonographer said, "Umm, well, actually, there are two..." My sister burst out crying.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:15 pm
When I found out at 6 weeks I couldn't stop laughing because I thought it was hilarious that me of all ppl.... I barely had my life together with one child. I was laughing to myself all the way home
But after that I was just plain terrified and upset about it. But now I can't imagine life without them. Altho its HARD.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:53 pm
It was under 10 years ago, and yes I'm Chabad Smile

My other kids were all closer to 9+ lb, so 7 did feel small! My 10lb baby slept almost 8 hours straight as a newborn, the 9lb ones like 6 hours at a stretch at night, and these babies literally woke up every 3-4 hours. So it was an adjustment!

My pregnancy was not dramatically different so although I can say I should have known, there was nothing definitive.

Twins was always a dream of mine, so lucky to live it every day B"H!

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:46 am
I went for my 8 week ultrasound and, after having 2 babies (who were then 9 months old and 2 years old) I felt it was fairly routine and scheduled it for Friday morning. I noticed it was taking the doctor a long time to say anything and I panicked and asked "Have you found a heartbeat??" and without saying anything she just held up two fingers. I was in total shock. My reaction was "NOOOOO! Are you sure you didn't make a mistake??" and when she reassured me that she didn't make a mistake, I said "Well. I guess I'm not going back to my studies..." (I had one year left in my university degree).

I know it's not nice to say, but I was in total shock and quite upset that I was having twins. Came home and broke the news to DH, and I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to faint (the walk home from the doctor felt almost like a dream). DH was delighted, even had tears of joy in his eyes. I informed him that he needed to buy catering because there was no way I could cook for shabbat in this state.

They're 3 months old now and I still struggle with the idea that I am a mom to twins. I'm still in shock tbh. Haven't had time to process it, just in survival mode with so many little kids. But love them greatly and am looking forward to purim costumes this year!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:58 am
My sil has twins .... she was in shock and crying and when she called my brother at work to tell him the news he thought she was joking... it took her time to convince him that it was not a joke... they r 9 years old and so far still her youngest ... as for myself I always ask r u sure it’s only one ?? ( I have a fear of having twins)

Beyla

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:21 pm
So nice!!! Thanks for your answers!!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:27 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
I went for my 8 week ultrasound and, after having 2 babies (who were then 9 months old and 2 years old) I felt it was fairly routine and scheduled it for Friday morning. I noticed it was taking the doctor a long time to say anything and I panicked and asked "Have you found a heartbeat??" and without saying anything she just held up two fingers. I was in total shock. My reaction was "NOOOOO! Are you sure you didn't make a mistake??" and when she reassured me that she didn't make a mistake, I said "Well. I guess I'm not going back to my studies..." (I had one year left in my university degree).

I know it's not nice to say, but I was in total shock and quite upset that I was having twins. Came home and broke the news to DH, and I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to faint (the walk home from the doctor felt almost like a dream). DH was delighted, even had tears of joy in his eyes. I informed him that he needed to buy catering because there was no way I could cook for shabbat in this state.

They're 3 months old now and I still struggle with the idea that I am a mom to twins. I'm still in shock tbh. Haven't had time to process it, just in survival mode with so many little kids. But love them greatly and am looking forward to purim costumes this year!!

Every time I see one of your posts I want to come over and take your kids out for you to sleep and send you supper. You sound like an incredible strong woman and your children are so lucky to have you. But alas, I live in Brooklyn so can't exactly walk over and help you out Sad

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Every time I see one of your posts I want to come over and take your kids out for you to sleep and send you supper. You sound like an incredible strong woman and your children are so lucky to have you. But alas, I live in Brooklyn so can't exactly walk over and help you out Sad

Me too.
In my dreams I win the lottery and send Israeli_C some help (because everything you said I don't live in Israel either and I want to give her a break.

melbee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:36 pm
I suspected it was twins early on and they run in my family, so I asked the OB at a routine exam to check for 2 heartbeats. She searched around with the doppler and assured me it was just the one and "a lot of women are larger with their third". At my 23-week US, DH told the sonographer to let him know if there were any others in there, and she said "let you know? You can see for yourself. One, two!" It was apparently the first time in her 6 years on the job that she found surprise twins. His jaw hit the floor but I just felt validated LOL

We then found out gender (we never did before but we felt this was enough surprises for us) and by the time we left the US, DH knew how he would announce the birth but that's a different story Wink

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:01 pm
Many thanks Bronze and Firebrick, hugs to both of you for being so sweet! Thankfully things are slowly improving. Nights are a game of 'musical beds' because all the kids are waking up and we're moving from room to room but BH they're all healthy and so sweet- I forgive them in the mornings!! Tongue Out

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:09 pm
B"H for ultrasounds. My mother A"H had a good friend who found out she was having twins on the delivery table. The first one came out, and labor didn't stop! Doctor said, oh boy, there's another one coming!

She had identical twin sons. Their kids used to mix them up sometimes!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more