Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unclaimed funds- your money might just be sitting there
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:10 am
Recently I looked up my maiden name in the unclaimed funds directory for NYS (I think every state has their own) and found out I had unclaimed funds. It ended up totaling over $4,000.

I looked at some other states I have lived in under my maiden and married name and found out my MIL, sister and uncle all had unclaimed funds. I also posted it on facebook and a few friends said they also checked for themselves and their family and they found unclaimed funds.

The web site for NYS is http://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/ . There is no fee for using it, and the money comes in a week or 2. it may be from forgotten bank accounts, split stocks, etc. It is totally legitimate.

If the company that owes you money cant find you (due to a name change, move, or other reason) they give the money to NYS, who holds onto it (and probably uses it as well as an interest free loan, is my guess) until someone claims it.

myself

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:23 am
Isn't Unclaimed Funds a scam?!?

sourstix

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:27 am
trust me they will find you if they really wanted. I dont trust these things. nothing is free. so be aware. cautious.

vet techy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:46 am
I found an unclaimed fund under my mothers name after she past away. I was able to enter all info on line and I think I had to send in a form that was notarized then within a few weeks I got a check.
The sites that say they could do it for you for a fee is a scam you could do it on your own. But going on the states unclaimed funds site is not a scam.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:53 am
To posters #2 and #3 - it is not a scam. It is a legitimate government program run, in NYS, by the Office of the State Comptroller. Since the state gets use the money interest free until you claim it, they are in no rush to track you down. I know many people who have gotten money back from this, myself included.

While there are people out there who use these valid programs as basis's for their scams, when you go to the state itself, it is not a scam.

Here is an article that may help you understand the difference between the real government programs and the scams.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business.....93877

A new scam has surfaced that uses the promise of finding unclaimed money to lure people in. I feel just the tiniest smidgen responsible, because our "Good Morning America" series "Show Me the Money" has awakened people to all of the different kinds of unclaimed funds that are out there and the very real possibility that money could be waiting for YOU. However, this cynical swindle is over-the-top and that's the first tip-off.

The scam arrives in email form, with a message telling people they have "millions of dollars" in unclaimed property waiting, according to West Virginia state treasurer John Perdue. The fraudulent message purports to come from Jeff Smith of the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators, but it's a fraud. NAUPA is a real organization of unclaimed property chiefs from around the country, but it does not have control over any actual money --much less the authority to dole it out to people.

"My office has worked diligently over the years to return unclaimed funds to rightful owners. It is very disturbing to know scam artists are trying to exploit our hard work and take advantage of those people who trust the state to return their money," said Perdue.
Nevada, Maryland, Louisiana and Ohio have also heard from citizens who received the false email. The crooks make their money by tricking people into calling an overseas toll telephone number to retrieve their supposed funds, then using various schemes to keep them on the line as long as possible.

Mary Pitman, a staunch advocate of searching for missing money on your own and author of "The Little Book of Missing Money," offers these five sure signs that somebody contacting you about unclaimed money is illegitimate:

1. It comes as an email. State unclaimed property offices do not use email to contact you. They simply don't have that information. It's too hard to verify that the email is truly yours.

2. It claims to be from the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. NAUPA is an organization that unclaimed property administrators belong to. NAUPA does not do anything with reuniting people with their missing money.

3. You get referred to someone else. State treasurers and comptrollers normally oversee unclaimed money and property. The work is never outsourced.

4. You're asked for your bank account information. You may have to supply personal information such as your social security number to make a legitimate unclaimed money claim, but you will NEVER be asked your bank account information.

5. There is a fee to file the claim. State governments do not charge money for searching their database of unclaimed accounts or for making a claim.

So how DO you search for REAL unclaimed money that may be waiting out there for you? Click here to read the GMA Unclaimed Money guide we have compiled and stay tuned as we uncover more repositories of unclaimed funds and share them with you on Good Morning America in the coming weeks.

be good

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 2:12 pm
found funds!
thank you!!

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 3:44 am
Definitely not a scam. A few years ago I found my grandmother's name (she had passed away LONG before). It took my Mom a bit of work since she needed estate papers, etc., but she was able to get the money. My mother in law found some money as well.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:02 am
I found a little bit - $42, just now. Under my (deceased) mithers name I found less than $10. Oh well.

tothepoint

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:43 pm
Interesting, I was going to compose a new thread about this topic...so I did a quick search and found this thread from 2015.

Kind of bumping it so new members can check if they have any unclaimed funds.

No- it’s NOT a fraud. I myself found lost funds for countless family members.

Here’s the site for NY
https://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/

May

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:53 pm
I did a search for my name and it came up with something, but no where could I find the amount. I when claimed it, gor an email confirmation, and still no amount listed anywhere.

tothepoint

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:58 pm
May wrote:
I did a search for my name and it came up with something, but no where could I find the amount. I when claimed it, gor an email confirmation, and still no amount listed anywhere.

That’s how they work. You’ll get a surprise check in the mail. Anything ranging from $1-$1M

Keep us posted!

May

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:44 pm
Ok thanks! Mine was probably around $1. I have no clue why they owe me money but it can't be a lot!

Last edited by May on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:56 pm
Anyone else did this and got back money?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:03 pm
I got a letter from a man in Toronto saying that he came across unclaimed funds belonging to me under my old address. Purely as a chessed. I put all the info in and got a confirmation email but no amount anywhere. It says money was found but I'm still waiting for the money.

ETA I just checked and it says "Claim has been approved and is pending payment processing. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive payment."

tothepoint

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:17 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I got a letter from a man in Toronto saying that he came across unclaimed funds belonging to me under my old address. Purely as a chessed. I put all the info in and got a confirmation email but no amount anywhere. It says money was found but I'm still waiting for the money.

ETA I just checked and it says "Claim has been approved and is pending payment processing. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive payment."

It could take up to 4 months until they gather all necessary paperwork to authorize, but you'll get it iy'h. Make sure to follow up your claim by searching your claim # to see if they need any paperwork from you. Very often you will need to mail in a notarized form to confirm your identity

queene

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 2:58 am
This is amazing!
I put in dozens of names of ppl that I know and found many who have unclaimed funds!
Now comes the fun part of letting everyone know...!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:18 am
My name wasn't on there, but my daughters was. The money is actually mine because it was when she was a minor and through insurance, but since she's not a minor anymore, I told her to do it. It will be much easier. After we see how much it is, we'll see who will keep it Smile .
I also might have seen my uncles name, but he's not alive. I'll have to ask my father. And I sent the link to my sister because her husband is on there a few times with different addresses and so is at least two of her sils.

merrygold

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:09 pm
I found money for a relative- who's no longer alive. Any idea what to do?

STMommy

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:13 pm
merrygold wrote:
I found money for a relative- who's no longer alive. Any idea what to do?

any next of kin?

merrygold

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:22 pm
Good idea. I'll let them know.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics