Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When should I worry about a child's weight?

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:59 pm
DS is 2 and 3/4, and he is definitely chubby.

He's active, and happily runs or climbs. We walk to and from his playgroup. He eats healthy food, and in good quantities.

However, he's still very fat around his face. His body is proportionate on the linebacker side of things, but he still has a double chin.

I'm not worried now, since he's living life normally, and is even on the athletic side of things, but it does seem very strange to me that his face is so fatty, given his lifestyle. And before we ascribe it to age: None of his peers have fatty faces.

What is going on? Should I worry?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:02 pm
Sometimes kids who are low tone have droopy cheeks.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:05 pm
I just want to emphasize: although he eats freely, he stops when he is full, and he eats mostly healthy foods. I don't think it's a calorie in-calorie out issue, since he really is active, and junk food is very infrequent. So I don't think he needs a diet change.

I guess I'm worried that there may be a hormonal imbalance, or something medical which I'm not aware of. It just seems so strange - his face doesn't match his lifestyle. If that's normal, then that's fine. But I don't know what to check to make sure it is.

Last edited by Rappel on Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:06 pm
If you have any concerns, why not discuss it with his pediatrician?

If your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't either.

I happen to love fat little boys (my current favorite, with all due respect to your son, is my pudgy little 20 month old nephew...). I love those cheeks....yum...

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes kids who are low tone have droopy cheeks.

Can you explain that? Do you mean speech? He does have some funny letter interchanges, but I chalked that up to being a toddler.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
If you have any concerns, why not discuss it with his pediatrician?

If your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't either.

I happen to love fat little boys (my current favorite, with all due respect to your son, is my pudgy little 20 month old nephew...). I love those cheeks....yum...

She isn't concerned, but she's chilled out in general, and I don't trust her to be proactive.

In our old yishuv, I LOVED our pediatrician, but he doesn't work out in this area anymore. I might schedule an appointment with him anyway, but distance makes follow-up difficult.

There the funny thing. His body isn't especially pudgy anymore. He's definitely muscular, broad, and tall, and he has an I-ate-a-lot-recently belly, but he isn't fat... Except for his face, which very much is.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:18 pm
Rappel wrote:
She isn't concerned, but she's chilled out in general, and I don't trust her to be proactive.

In our old yishuv, I LOVED our pediatrician, but he doesn't work out in this area anymore. I might schedule an appointment with him anyway, but distance makes follow-up difficult.

There the funny thing. His body isn't especially pudgy anymore. He's definitely muscular, broad, and tall, and he has an I-ate-a-lot-recently belly, but he isn't fat... Except for his face, which very much is.

You need a pediatrician that you trust. You don't have to shelp out all the time, but if you have a specific concern about your child, it would be worth it.

It's hard for those of us on imamother to really know what your concern is. I think if you're worried, you should take him to a doctor you trust.

It's likely normal. I'm just saying the above as a general way I feel about checking out any concerns I have regarding my child's health.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:09 pm
I think at that age they can still have some baby fat & chubby cute face.

Low tone she means muscular, nothing with speech

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:13 pm
My old pediatrician told me my 2 1/2 was to fat. I should walk with her and only give healthy fat because if not she will grow up to be obese. The joke is on her because my daughter is 5' 7" and a little over 100 pounds.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:43 pm
I think you're overreacting! Here an example:

My sister was very fat as a baby and toddler. My mother was embarrassed because all of the neighbours kids were skinny. So when I came along I was put on a diet (she mixed water in the milk(!??!?!)), She continued to do so for my 2 brothers aswell. We were skinny babies and toddlers. Fast forward 27 years.... My older sister has had 4 kids, she's super skinny even though she doesn't really eat healthy and never works out and me and my brothers are all chubby!!!
Also my best friend had a baby who was really chubby. She stayed chubby until she was 5 then suddenly grew it out. She's super skinny now and my friend didn't change her diet or anything. I think as long as the child eats normally and runs and play normally it's all fine!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 7:03 pm
dankbar wrote:
I think at that age they can still have some baby fat & chubby cute face.

Low tone she means muscular, nothing with speech

Children with poor oral muscle tone often are affected in their speech production. Not saying that's the case here, just clarifying.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:49 pm
I'm glad to hear that I am overreacting!

Again, his body is normal, and his face is super-fat. I haven't seen any other child around with that disposition, and it worried me. But if you all say it's fine, with perhaps a speech challenge, then I'll look at it from that angle. Thank you!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:07 pm
My son was ENORMOUS. Think 30 pounds by his 1st birthday. Huge kid, tall, barrel chest, massive cheeks, the works. He's now a super-skinny teen and everyone who sees him now after not seeing him for a long time can't believe it's the same kid (he once asked why everyone asks when he got so skinny LOL )

I have another fatso baby now b"H and I just love it. I would not be concerned at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics