Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Clothing for the summer
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:43 pm
I'm embarrassed to be posting this even though it's under amother but I really want to know what people do in my current situation.
We are struggling financially in a way that we've never struggled before. I recently gave birth to my third child bh. With the summer season coming up I really don't know how I am buying my children clothing. My daughter outgrew her shoes and she's currently wearing off brand Crocs that I bought for five dollars. We are a "regular" family and I don't want us to look like shmattas... I've been browsing on AliExpress to see if I can find some cheap options but honestly it all adds up even there and I just don't know where to turn.
I daven every day (all day...) that Hashem send us parnassa but we have some extra costs right now (medical) and we can literally barely afford groceries.
I never in a million years thought I'd end up in this situation but here I am.
Any chizzuk or advice would mean a lot. Please be gentle in your responses - I'm embarrassed and extremely sensitive about this...

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:48 pm
Ali clothes are totally accepted in lakewood, especially in the summer. I know families with plenty of income that wear ali.
Also I hear that Serendipity shopping is worthwhile.

Many hugs, and remember that the one above can do anything. Stay strong!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
I'm embarrassed to be posting this even though it's under amother but I really want to know what people do in my current situation.
We are struggling financially in a way that we've never struggled before. I recently gave birth to my third child bh. With the summer season coming up I really don't know how I am buying my children clothing. My daughter outgrew her shoes and she's currently wearing off brand Crocs that I bought for five dollars. We are a "regular" family and I don't want us to look like shmattas... I've been browsing on AliExpress to see if I can find some cheap options but honestly it all adds up even there and I just don't know where to turn.
I daven every day (all day...) that Hashem send us parnassa but we have some extra costs right now (medical) and we can literally barely afford groceries.
I never in a million years thought I'd end up in this situation but here I am.
Any chizzuk or advice would mean a lot. Please be gentle in your responses - I'm embarrassed and extremely sensitive about this...

I am a regular family. Hand-me-downs aren't shmattas.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Life has ups and downs.

Enjoy your new baby :-) and Refuah Sheliemah.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:55 pm
Where are you located? Maybe someone can give you recommendations of nice, 2nd hand places or gemachim in your area. In Brooklyn there's Bobby's place that gives a new Shabbos outfit per child for Pesach, and after Y"T they have used items that you can take more of. In Lakewood there's Serendipity as amother brown mentioned. There are probably many other places you can get good clothes for your children in your situation, or people that may have from their kids from last year.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:55 pm
Where do you live? I'm sure someone here can help you find where to get clothes free. Seriously. It's a perfectly legitimate path for someone who is stuck in hard times. You didn't choose this situation and there are people who want to help.

flippingout18!

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:58 pm
Please PM me!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:00 am
Are you open to hand me downs in good condition? If you're not dealing with teens/preteens or special occasions that might work well. Especially as this is hopefully a short term issue. Not that hand me downs aren't ok long term but it can be stressful to find proper size, fit, condition, sort through stuff, etc.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
Ali clothes are totally accepted in lakewood, especially in the summer. I know families with plenty of income that wear ali.
Also I hear that Serendipity shopping is worthwhile.

Many hugs, and remember that the one above can do anything. Stay strong!

I'm all for Ali! It's just that when I put everything in my cart it added up to a relatively large sum... It wasn't as cheap as I hoped it would be...
Thank you, I'm hoping Hashem will send us a hug in the form of money....

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
I am a regular family. Hand-me-downs aren't shmattas.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Life has ups and downs.

Enjoy your new baby :-) and Refuah Sheliemah.

I'd be THRILLED with hand me downs!! I just don't have anyone handing them down to me... Lol

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:03 am
I'm in Monsey.
(and I really don't want to go to the metziahs place - as kids we went there for our purim costumes...)

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:24 am
Post sizes/genders. We have many members here from Monsey and maybe you can match with good hand-me-downs.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:34 am
amother wrote:
I'd be THRILLED with hand me downs!! I just don't have anyone handing them down to me... Lol

Ask around.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:19 am
seeker wrote:
Post sizes/genders. We have many members here from Monsey and maybe you can match with good hand-me-downs.

My son is in size 3T for the summer and my daughter is 2T or 24 months...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:26 am
Tell me the sizes and genders of all three of your children. I have a clothing store. I will send you a summer wardrobe for all three of them.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:28 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Tell me the sizes and genders of all three of your children. I have a clothing store. I will send you a summer wardrobe for all three of them.

That's really sweet of you!

mig100

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:29 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Wow!!! Me keamcha yisroel!!

Maybe we can start a group for children's clothing gemach. There are so many imas looking for handmedown and even more looking to give away

esther36

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:40 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

As usual mommy3b2c to the rescue!!!
Kol hakovod! U never ceases to amaze me with the chesed u do!!

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

OMG! You’re seriously one of a kind! I just adore you! Very Happy

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:53 am
Coffee Addict wrote:
OMG! You’re seriously one of a kind! I just adore you! Very Happy

I adore you as well😀 we’ve discussed that already. We really must meet up one of these days.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
I'm in Monsey.
(and I really don't want to go to the metziahs place - as kids we went there for our purim costumes...)

I think you should reconsider this. I often donate clothes there, and while im there I browse the aisles. I have found great things! Im not embarassed in the slightest-I BH can afford to buy my kids clothes, but it annoys me to pay such crazy prices if I dont need to. The store is not at all like it used to be-its now very organized, by size and type...a friend of mine just told me she literally filled a garbage bag full of high end clothing for her toddler and payed about $5.

You can also reach out to Adins Closet, here in monsey. They outfit children from high quality donations.

Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics