Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Curious as to percentage of ppl here having been involved

Were you ever involved in a court or beis din case?
Yes, as a direct involved party  
 20%  [ 29 ]
Yes, as an indirect party ex. witness, intemediary  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Never been involved at all  
 67%  [ 98 ]
Settled before actually going to court/beis din  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Wanted to, but decided against it  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 145

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:20 pm
in court/beis din....Please do the poll to show if you were ever a party involved in beis din/court... ETA - I was directly involved, and I already voted as to that. Whole complicated situation...Hard!!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:21 pm
I would not share such personal information. Why do you want to know.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
in court/beis din....Please do the poll to show if you were ever a party involved in beis din/court... ETA - I was directly involved, and I already voted as to that. Whole complicated situation...Hard!!

Does divorce count?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:26 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I would not share such personal information. Why do you want to know.
You don't need to share. Only if you would like to/feel comfortable. I want to know because I am going through great difficulties in a beis din/court case that I am involved in now and I see how EASY it is for a case to come up and so just wondering if people are able to avoid ever being involved in a case or if most people have been involved...

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
Does divorce count?
Yes. Everything and anything

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:34 pm
I didn't vote because my dh and his business partner brought someone to beis din, so I wasn't actually involved. It was a very clear cut case with a written contract that the other party did not fulfill. I don't think they ever got all the money that the beis din said was owed to them.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:31 pm
I once testified as a key witness.
It was emotionally and mentally grueling, especially since I was still struggling with PTSD due to the crime I was talking about, and revisiting it was extremely triggering.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:19 am
amother wrote:
I once testified as a key witness.
It was emotionally and mentally grueling, especially since I was still struggling with PTSD due to the crime I was talking about, and revisiting it was extremely triggering.

Hug I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you got past it and feel better now.

Still waiting for the BD to get back to me about my get. Being an agunah sucks.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:23 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Hug I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you got past it and feel better now.

Still waiting for the BD to get back to me about my get. Being an agunah sucks.

Davening for you FF.
You deserve better. Wish I had a hug button.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:29 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Davening for you FF.
You deserve better. Wish I had a hug button.

Thank you. It's sad that the Jerusalem BD is so backlogged with cases that it can take months and months just to get someone to return an email.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:33 am
FF, do you know about this organisation?

https://mavoisatum.org/en/

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:42 am
amother wrote:
FF, do you know about this organisation?

https://mavoisatum.org/en/

Thanks, I just contacted them.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:33 am
Yay! I wish you all the success you need!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:39 am
OP, I have been involved in both- a court case AND a beis din issue. (separate stories) What can I tell you? Just that Adar is mesugal for a good result. Hatzlacha!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:56 am
I was subpoenaed as a witness in a hit and run case. At the courthouse just before I would have testified at the hearing, the attorney for the defendant asked me what I saw and told his client he couldn’t win if I testified. He changed his plea at the last minute from not guilty to no contest. I didn’t have to testify. B”H.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:40 pm
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to ask chocolate a question and didn't know how else to- you say that your husband didn't get all the money that the beis din said he should? how come? is there no way to inforce it? I would think you could then go to secular court? did he not want to? I ask because my dh is currently working on taking his business partner to beis din.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:40 am
I took my employer to BD. He withheld Pay for 6 months. BD made a settlement that he only had to give me the amount I would receive after taxes would be deducted. I lost out on 3500. I reported the income as a1099 even though I was an employee and till then had gotten paid on a W-2. He didn't send in the checks on time so I left him a message that I've filled out the forms and will mail to the us labor Dept as he's not keeping his side of the psak. I didn't inform the Rav as I knew there's nothing he can do to enforce the psak. Within an hour, checks were dropped off at the BD secretary. I didn't fight for the balance as I found out I was pregnant and didn't have the physical or emotional strength to go further.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:58 am
there's no way to enforce a beis din judgement? You can't bring it to court and say this was already agreed upon? you can't contact his shul's rabbi...nothing? so whats the point? if the person wasn't honest enough to pay up beforehand even though it was clear he had to, than what's the point of a beis din, just for when the case is unclear?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics