Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you feed your 8-9 month old?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:48 pm
My baby loves real food and not formula. He’s still at an age when you can’t give everything so I’m having a hard time figuring out what he can eat. It needs to be easy to feed so there are no choking hazards. We are a more dairy than meat family so please give ideas for both.

Also, what are signs that your child is allergic? Sometimes I’ll give him something and he’ll break out a drop but it goes away really quickly. Do I need to stop feeding those foods ?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:28 pm
Why can’t you give everything (other than honey, nuts, popcorn)? Who told you that?

simba

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:30 pm
Puréed chicken soup, yogurt, baby jars, baby cereal or oatmeal.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:38 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why can’t you give everything (other than honey, nuts, popcorn)? Who told you that?

His doctor told me no fish, dairy, eggs, nuts until a year. I don't listen because my baby would starve. I've introduced foods slowly and he seems fine for the most part except for slight breakouts here and there that go away really quickly.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:39 pm
simba wrote:
Puréed chicken soup, yogurt, baby jars, baby cereal or oatmeal.

I give all those but I feel like it's not enough since he barely takes bottles anymore. He needs filling and nutritious. I also never know how much and how often to feed.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:40 pm
You need to see an allergist if by break out you mean hives. That's totally not normal.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:42 pm
Thick soups are very filling. Oatmeal, jars, pureed veggies and chicken from soup, potato kugel mixed with applesauce. I puree lots of things for my babies, like ziti, rice & chicken, potatoes and chicken....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
You need to see an allergist if by break out you mean hives. That's totally not normal.

It's not hives. It's like one or two tiny red blotches that clear up within an hour usually. I can't imagine a real allergy would present like that.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
His doctor told me no fish, dairy, eggs, nuts until a year. I don't listen because my baby would starve. I've introduced foods slowly and he seems fine for the most part except for slight breakouts here and there that go away really quickly.

What? Really? Yogurt was one of my babies first foods! I guess all peds advise different things

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Thick soups are very filling. Oatmeal, jars, pureed veggies and chicken from soup, potato kugel mixed with applesauce. I puree lots of things for my babies, like ziti, rice & chicken, potatoes and chicken....

At what age do you stop pureeing and feed small bites? I haven't really been pureeing much. He really wants real food. Every time I eat he gets excited and wants so I try to give him tiny pieces but again, I never know how much he needs and how often. I feel like baby jars just can't be filling enough.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:46 pm
pesek zman wrote:
What? Really? Yogurt was one of my babies first foods! I guess all peds advise different things

That's right which is why I was comfortable feeding him anyway. I saw other peds lists stating that I can start yogurts already so I did and he loved it. But is a yogurt considered a meal? Like how much do they need to eat to be full? And how often should I be feeding?

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:46 pm
Your baby can have basically anything except whole nuts, honey, and popcorn, as long as it’s cut appropriately. You were right to give those things your doctor said to wait on; he gave you outdated information. Look into baby led weaning for tips on how to serve and cut different foods. Red splotches are pretty normal I think, or at least my baby gets them from some foods and it clears up quickly.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:47 pm
I stop pureeing at about 10-11 months, depends on the child. By one of my kids I pureed till over a year, she didn't know how to chew well.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:50 pm
My daughter just turned 8 months and she's starting to enjoy pieces of food. She loves :
Challah
Whole wheat bread
Pita
Avocado
I gave her cottage cheese but she wasn't a big fan
Pieces of banana
Applesauce mixed with baby cereal oatmeal And some hot water with a dash of cinnamon
Baked sweetpotaties cut into small bites or mashed
Mashed potatoes
She ate chicken cutlets diced very small, orzo and pea soup the other day
Butternut squash baked and cut into small pieces
I didn't start her on yogurt yet, but I plan on doing that next
I also purée chicken with veggies from the chicken soup and she likes that too

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe they meant no plain milk or eggs. But if mixed in other foods then ok.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
That's right which is why I was comfortable feeding him anyway. I saw other peds lists stating that I can start yogurts already so I did and he loved it. But is a yogurt considered a meal? Like how much do they need to eat to be full? And how often should I be feeding?

That totally depends on your but baby and how fast he picks up on solids and how much he tolerates. My baby wasn’t a big eater but many babies are and can eat more

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:09 pm
Baby led weaning - he can eat anything
Most recent studies say giving allergen foods in the first year prevents allergies from developing
When to feed - whenever you are eating, offer to baby and him sit with you near the table. After every bottle or nursing session offer solids after. So basically same hours of his regular nursing schedule while adding the social component of family meals

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:41 pm
Sometimes the blotches you see is just a sensitive skin reaction, unrelated to an actual food allergy. Especially acidic foods. I had no problem giving my kids whatever healthy food I was serving my family at that age, excluding any obvious choking hazards (foods that don't soften).

abcde2

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:48 pm
You can offer everything that goes by your supper table. Soups, chicken pieces, pasta, rice, cubed sweet potato, cooked soft veggies. Your baby will show you when he feels full.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:05 pm
Sweet potatoes, acorn squash. bake it for real and squash down with fork. So much more texture than the baby jars. If too dry add a little soup or water . Plain Rice. It doesn't need to be chopped into tiny pieces. Baby can eat small spoonful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics