Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Gate checking a stroller and a carseat? any experience?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:21 pm
Hi I had a baby here in America but am now heading back home to e"y with a lot of new stuff! I want to know how it works bringing a stroller and a carseat with us. I would buy a new carseat in e'y but what will we put the baby in in the cab ride? does anyone have experience on a plane checking both a stroller and carseat? is it allowed or has anyone had this experience?

bsy

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:27 pm
You are allowed both

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:30 pm
Yes it's allowed. It's also a possibility that they will damage it l, and almost no airline will compensate you for it. So best is to put it in a protective case. Otherwise you can just hope for the best Very Happy

Smile1234

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:36 pm
Check with the airline you are flying. Some only let either a stroller or a car seat per baby.

You can also order a taxi to pick you up that has a car seat. They do exist... not so common though.

If you are flying during off peak season you might get lucky and get an extra seat on the plane. If you do then take the car seat on, don't check it.

MommyM

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:40 pm
Most airlines allow both. Some allow only one at gate, but the other can be checked in earlier. Airlines do compensate for broken strollers, but keep your receipts so you have proof of how much you paid.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:42 pm
We’re you the one who flew at 36 weeks to deliver in America?

westchestermom

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:58 pm
They are both allowed and free to check. They will get banged up and dirty even though they partly wrap it in plastic so I usually get a cheap umbrella stroller and the cheapest Wal-Mart carseat I can find and use it on the trip.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:47 pm
My expensive stroller got broken in the plane and I got no compensation. Be cautious.
Also please bring the carseat on the plane- do you really want to hold a baby for that many hours? (Never mind the safety concerns)

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:50 pm
studying_torah wrote:
My expensive stroller got broken in the plane and I got no compensation. Be cautious.
Also please bring the carseat on the plane- do you really want to hold a baby for that many hours? (Never mind the safety concerns)

Not everyone can afford to pay for the seat, in fact I don’t remember ever seeing a car seat on a flight to israel and I’ve seen many babies.

yksraya

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:08 pm
studying_torah wrote:

They provide baby with a caddy that connects to the wall.

They won't allow a car seat onto plane unless baby has a separate seat.

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:24 pm
If you can afford to, get the doona, it’s amazing for travel.
For a cheaper option get a car seat that connects to a stroller base, most car seat companies have that option. A graco click connect base is around 70$ last I checked.

monkeys

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:34 pm
When we flew el al we were compensated for damage to our stroller. When flying domestic we only bring a cheap travel stroller and put it in a protective bag.

clowny

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:43 pm
I recently flew domestic and we had luck that there was an empty seat right near us so they allowed the car seat/doona onto the plane. So I would say don’t check it in. You might have that luck too. Also, there is some sort of option of requesting a bassinet for international flights. I’m not sure exactly what it is but my friend had it and she told me about it, so please inquire. And I think you should also check with the airline beforehand about checking them both in at the gate.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:49 pm
Regarding a bassinet on the flight, there are usually one or two on board, first come first serve at check in, and they only allow babies in a certain age range. They also make you hold the baby any time the seatbelt sign is on, which can be frustrating when you finally get the baby sleeping comfortably in the bassinet. But definitely worth trying to get it if you don't have a seat for the baby.

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
Regarding a bassinet on the flight, there are usually one or two on board, first come first serve at check in, and they only allow babies in a certain age range. They also make you hold the baby any time the seatbelt sign is on, which can be frustrating when you finally get the baby sleeping comfortably in the bassinet. But definitely worth trying to get it if you don't have a seat for the baby.

Not to mention they take it away for takeoff and landing! And I never had a newborn or infant that was okay sleeping in an airplane bassinet. They are clunky and uncomfortable. Recently I just started purchasing seats so I can bring the doona onboard. Flights with a baby/toddler are a nightmare otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics