Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do your kids ever go to school without breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:14 pm
A string cheese and a fruit for days like that. They get cereal and milk in school, which I ideally don't like to rely on, but it makes me feel better about those hectic mornings.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:51 pm
Never. Mine always eats breakfast....I have only a 5 year old and baby.
I never ever used to leave without breakfast, now I eat a brunch because of my work hours

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:50 am
DD never eats breakfast. She can't even stand the idea of trying to digest food first thing in the morning. I always made sure she had extra snacks and fruit in her bag, and she ate them on first break, before lunch.

I'm the same way. I've never been a breakfast person. I get sick just thinking about food that early in the morning.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
Please spend a few minutes the night before if you can’t do it in the morning to prepare something for them to eat and drink on the bus.

Very, very sad that you send your kids without food.
Perhaps your not hungry at that time but they certainly do get hungry way before lunch .

You are fooling yourself into thinking that they don’t need food in the morning just because they ate supper the night before.

You can pack a water bottle or box drink for them to drink. You can send some cookies or crackers. Cereal in a bag.... I guarantee you that they will eat it and have a better day.

One of my kids just drinks a cup of hot cocoa. Another takes a pre packed danish... they need something... anything really to give them some energy in the morning.

Very very sad that u are serving ur kids unhealthy foods like kugels/cakes /cookies soda and processed foods etc...

Seriously?? Who are u to judge others as if u know better!!

You are fooling yourself into thinking that you know my kids better than me and that you know better than me how to parent.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you aren't entitled to judge my parenting unless you are perfect which nobody is. There are others here who say their kids dont eat breakfast but regardless I believe giving kids all the junk is worse than not eating breakfast and serving them at simchas is worse too.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:54 am
Chayalle wrote:
I hope you at least send some fruit or yogurt, something for breakfast. Do you seriously think that eating supper the night before should keep a child full until lunch?

I started typing what I think of this, but decided it's not nice. Please let this be a protest on behalf of your children. This is not fair!

Please!!! You seriously think you need to protest on behalf of my kids??? As if to say I'm a bad parent?? Why is your parenting better than mine?? Because you believe in eating breakfast as the determining factor as to if my kids are deprived?? Well, you should first worry about what you are serving your children like kugels, cakes, processed...and make sure nobody serves these harmful foods that are so processed (they can cause cancer) at simchas. I believe that's worse and you dont have the right to say my kids need a protest as if I'm depriving them when you know nothing except they dont eat breakfast.

I know people like you who think their opinion/way is better and if someone does things differently, then that person is bad /wrong... But, these same people are okay doing other things which are wrong. However, they dont let anyone judge their parenting because they think they know best. Unless you are perfect in parenting and do everything for your kids like I do, you are not entitled to judge my parenting so as to say my kids are deprived!!!

Let hashem be the judge!!! You are not a parenting expert.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:12 am
amother wrote:
How often does it happen that your child leaves to school without breakfast. What do you give them for breakfast when you are in a rush to get out of the house on time. At what age do they take breakfast themselves. What are some easy breakfast ideas for kids?
Any more tips? It's happening very often in my house. I'm looking for ideas of how to prevent this.

I've never not given my kids breakfast. Even so there is the rare situation where they didn't have time to eat it at home so they're planning to eat it in the car.... but they accidentally leave it in the house, or drop it in the driveway or on the floor of the car. In such a case a sibling will share or they just eat what they packed for snack (since they usually pack more snack then they really need anyhow).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:02 am
My daughter always has taken a bag of corn flakes with her on the bus (she leaves the house at 7:15 and would rather be able to sleep more than wake up and have to sit down and eat. But they also have aruchat eser at about 9 am so even if she doesnt eat anything, I know she will eat her sandwich or yogurt at about 9 am, so Im not worried that she is hungry.
And we have done the bag of cornflakes for as long as she has gone to school/gan and its always been fine.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:47 am
Sorry, I can't figure out how to post the link so I just copied the article. Breakfast does matter.

Benefits of Eating Breakfast for Students
Written by Lindsay Boyers; Updated November 21, 2018
Benefits of Eating Breakfast for Students
Related Articles
Is it Good to Eat Breakfast in the Morning?
Does Eating Breakfast Affect Children's Learning?
Is Eating a Healthy Breakfast a Great Way to Start the Day?
The Best Brain Food for Breakfast
You’ve probably heard the adage “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” a million times before; but it turns out that it may be true, especially when it comes to students. Eating a healthy breakfast before starting the school day is linked to improved concentration, better test scores, increased energy, a higher intake of vitamins and minerals, and even a healthier body weight. Breakfast is especially important for young students whose brains use up about half of the body’s energy.

Improved Concentration
Students who eat a healthy breakfast tend to have better concentration than students who skip breakfast altogether. When the day starts with breakfast, students can focus on the task at hand better and become less distracted by outside influences and other students. They’re also able to understand what’s being taught more easily and retain that new information better than students who are hungry because they’ve skipped breakfast.
Better Test Scores
Students who eat breakfast before starting their school day don’t just concentrate better, they tend to score better on academic tests in math, reading, and science. According to a study published in the Journal of Economics, students in schools that offered free breakfasts before class scored about 25 percent higher on math, reading and science tests. Researchers believe that this is because the breakfast provides the energy necessary to increase cognitive, or thinking, speed and problem-solving skills.
Increased Energy
When you sleep, you’re technically fasting, since you’re going without food. Because of this, your blood sugar starts to drop overnight. When you wake up and eat breakfast, it provides the glucose your body needs for energy to get through the day. When students wake up after an overnight fast and go to school without eating breakfast, they start the day with low blood sugar that just keeps getting lower. This can leave them feeling slow and sluggish and make it more difficult to get through the day, or at least their morning classes. On the other hand, eating a healthy breakfast before school raises blood sugar to a healthy level and provides the necessary energy that students need to perform well in class until lunchtime.
Beyond Academics
It’s not just about test scores and concentration, though. Eating breakfast can help students meet their daily nutrient needs more easily. According to a report published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, children who regularly eat breakfast take in approximately 20 to 60 percent more iron, B vitamins and vitamin D than children who skip breakfast. Breakfast eaters also tend to take in more daily fiber and lower total fat and dietary cholesterol.
Regularly eating breakfast is also associated with a healthier body mass index, or BMI, and a decreased likelihood of obesity. Research shows that students who regularly eat breakfast have an easier time maintaining a healthy body weight than students who are regular breakfast skippers.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:06 am
Powder blue. I dnot think anyone is arguing about the importance of breakfast. We all know that. And we do our best. But stuff happens. And B"H children are built to fall, get soaked in a snowball fight.....and even skip breakfast now and then and survive.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Powder blue. I dnot think anyone is arguing about the importance of breakfast. We all know that. And we do our best. But stuff happens. And B"H children are built to fall, get soaked in a snowball fight.....and even skip breakfast now and then and survive.

100%. This was mainly directed at the mother who thinks a big dinner is a substitute for feeding her children breakfast.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
100%. This was mainly directed at the mother who thinks a big dinner is a substitute for feeding her children breakfast.
Sorry...

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Please!!! You seriously think you need to protest on behalf of my kids??? As if to say I'm a bad parent?? Why is your parenting better than mine?? Because you believe in eating breakfast as the determining factor as to if my kids are deprived?? Well, you should first worry about what you are serving your children like kugels, cakes, processed...and make sure nobody serves these harmful foods that are so processed (they can cause cancer) at simchas. I believe that's worse and you dont have the right to say my kids need a protest as if I'm depriving them when you know nothing except they dont eat breakfast.

I know people like you who think their opinion/way is better and if someone does things differently, then that person is bad /wrong... But, these same people are okay doing other things which are wrong. However, they dont let anyone judge their parenting because they think they know best. Unless you are perfect in parenting and do everything for your kids like I do, you are not entitled to judge my parenting so as to say my kids are deprived!!!

Let hashem be the judge!!! You are not a parenting expert.

Soda? Kugel? I don’t give that!! Where did that come from??
But your kids are hungry in the morning (and you are worried that other people might be serving food that can cause cancer???)
At least offer your kids a glass of water before they leave!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:24 pm
Brunette, I feel so bad for your kids!
I am a very natural minded mom but since when does " 2 wrongs make a right" ? Just because other mothers serve processed foods that has nothing to do with the fact that you are skipping your kids breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and to not serve it is neglectful; sorry..!
Now before you start getting angry ; think about my words and sense that I'm trying to help and please serve your kids breakfast... some protein and a healthy carb.... and a fruit / veggie doesn't hurt either😉...
How can your children learn if they are hungry? And do well in school? Please at the very least pack them something light to take a long! Hatzlacha in your parenting journey!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
Brunette, I feel so bad for your kids!
I am a very natural minded mom but since when does " 2 wrongs make a right" ? Just because other mothers serve processed foods that has nothing to do with the fact that you are skipping your kids breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and to not serve it is neglectful; sorry..!
Now before you start getting angry ; think about my words and sense that I'm trying to help and please serve your kids breakfast... some protein and a healthy carb.... and a fruit / veggie doesn't hurt either😉...
How can your children learn if they are hungry? And do well in school? Please at the very least pack them something light to take a long! Hatzlacha in your parenting journey!!

This is a judgmental post. Not all children want breakfast. I have one older teen who nearly always leaves the house with no breakfast but then eats more at school or later in the day. That’s their choice. I also have an 11-year old who goes to school for morning davening and gets breakfast that way. When he misses davening from time to time for waking up later, he grabs a hot drink and leaves. I offer him things for the road but he is not interested. That doesn’t make me neglectful. If anything, my son learns the importance of self-organisation in the morning: if he is late, he doesn’t get breakfast at school. I agree breakfast is important and try to teach my children this. I don’t agree however, that forcing children to eat breakfast when they don’t want it serves any purpose. I am a breakfast person but not all people are.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
Now I feel like such a bad mom...
My kids either take some cereal in a bag, some crackers or wafers or string cheese... And then they drink some of my coffee : Can't Believe It % on the way to the bus stop

That is what this site does best. A bunch of judgmental mothers having a go at everyone else’s parenting/looks/marriage/personality.

*sigh*

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
After speaking to a nutritionist, the following qualify as breakfast in our house (and can be taken ‘to-go’)- preferably with a cold or hot cocoa or ‘coffee’ (to get in some milk/protein):
Granola bar
Pretzels or crackers
Trail mix
A bag of cereal

My kids have tried convincing me that cookies/danishes should also qualify and sometimes I give in.

Here in Europe a croissant or pastry is a normal breakfast

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:07 pm
Sometimes. If they have time they eat cereal or yogurt and if they don’t they just drink water. They get a full breakfast in school.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:26 pm
Zehava wrote:
Sometimes. If they have time they eat cereal or yogurt and if they don’t they just drink water. They get a full breakfast in school.

What do they get in school?

Metukah

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:06 pm
I myself cannot eat first thing on the morning (besides for when I'm pregnant /nursing), but I would not let my children leave home without breakfast. Its usually cereal with milk (a 'healthyish' cereal like cheerios, shreddies...) or a sandwich with cheese (bread/matzo), if I make a fresh bread they like to eat it plain and have a cup of milk.
My mother also wouldn't let us leave without at least drinking a cup of milk (and she wasn't overly concerned about our food/nutrition).

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
What do they get in school?

Bread, vegetables, and different proteins like eggs, cheese, etc.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics