Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Not giving teachers shalach manos
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:33 pm
I never do nor get when I'm a teacher. NO school on purim

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:36 pm
Chayalle wrote:
How about letting each child give one teacher?

how will the other teacher feel when she finds out?

life is fun

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't call it rude at all. It's nice & important to show Hakaras Hatov, and one should definitely find occasions and ways to do so. But Hakaras Hatov is not the primary theme of a day, nor is it limited to this day. I think we've gone over the top with MM for teachers and Rebbes. Purim is a time to reach out to our family and friends, extend our hands to the poor and find time to celebrate together and be happy. All this becomes sidetracked when we create so many additional obligations for this one day.

Agree 100%.
Hakaros hatov to a teacher is important. I agree where does it say it need s to be done on purim? I send doughnuts in on channuka for the teachers with a note. Maybe a bunch of flowers or a plant for shavuos.
M.m. is for friends foremost I think.
Appreciation can be shown all year around and imo not essential at a stressful time of year if not possible.

Dh used to be a teacher. When your a teacher you feel purim bec one receives m.m. and when no longer a teacher then hardly any m.m. Bec every1 is so busy with teachers so friends a d neighbours get cancelled out.

Such a shame.

rd

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:31 pm
im in Israel, find it extremely overwhelming just to write notes to all the teachers! and that includes only מחנכות, not מורות מקצועיות. still, I stay up all night finishing up costumes, writing letters and tying ribbons on these small packages. more than the money, its the work, and in gan its a bunch of moras. Im so thankful when someone collects money and this year im not sending a token MM or even a note in that case. If nobody's collecting I feel that I must send something. but as everyone said, no teacher really wants u to send something expensive.
with Rebbeyim it is expected to send money but only whatever u can manage.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:03 pm
Why is it expected to give rebeim money on purim? I never heard of that.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:21 pm
I am a teacher. I do not expect MM. It is completely understandable that these little expenses quickly add up. I feel badly when parents that are struggling feel they need to give.

Librarian

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:44 pm
I am a Morah. Small and cheap with warm note.

sunflowershine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:57 pm
Yes it's the right thing. Teachers spend hours and hours for your child. They are definitely on top of the list!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:02 pm
What about assistants? I really have no idea if they work hard or not but if I send the teachers MM to school I have to send for the assistants also no? My preschool child has 2 asisstants. It just adds up so quick.
Other option is go to the main teacher on Purim and only give her.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:07 pm
sunflowershine wrote:
Yes it's the right thing. Teachers spend hours and hours for your child. They are definitely on top of the list!

Why does it have to be on Purim? Can't I extend my thanks to them at other times?

The spirit and mitzvahs of Purim don't revolve around showing appreciation to those who do a service for us. It revolves around creating goodwill and camaraderie between friends and family - and helping out the poor.

Family & friends are first and foremost. Extend that further only if you're able to, and without impacting the priorities.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics