Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! My teen with reflux suddenly can't swallow!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:30 pm
Thank you again. The doctor recommended liquid antacid because he thought that it would coat her throat and give her some soothing relief. I really hope that DD is not going to need such a plethora of tests to figure out what's wrong. Any tips on how to decrease her anxiety about all of this? It is definitely not helping. I'm sure that is part of the sleep difficulty, too. DH and I are exhausted!

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you again. The doctor recommended liquid antacid because he thought that it would coat her throat and give her some soothing relief. I really hope that DD is not going to need such a plethora of tests to figure out what's wrong. Any tips on how to decrease her anxiety about all of this? It is definitely not helping. I'm sure that is part of the sleep difficulty, too. DH and I are exhausted!

Do you know the name of this antacid she's taking?

You haven't elaborated on the swallowing issue. What exactly can't she swallow? Solids, liquids, etc....?

No, I don't know how you can help make her less anxious other than by minimizing the bothersome symptoms.... Then she will feel calmer....

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:12 pm
It's a generic drugstore liquid that says antacid/antigas. Probably comparable to Maalox max or something like that.
When she says she can't swallow it's that her throat is getting too tight to swallow saliva. She has to strain to swallow. She's not eating or drinking at the time.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
It's a generic drugstore liquid that says antacid/antigas. Probably comparable to Maalox max or something like that.
When she says she can't swallow it's that her throat is getting too tight to swallow saliva. She has to strain to swallow. She's not eating or drinking at the time.

That's what I suspected, which is why I kept asking. Why treat severe reflux symptoms with something intended for mild symptoms? Maalox won't help what she's dealing with. That's like putting a band aid on a broken ankle. She needs either Pepcid/Zantac, which can be gotten over the counter or a PPI medication, which is prescription only. The liquid antacid won't do much for her.

OK, so about the swallowing- too tight to swallow her own saliva? It's important to find out if it's just that her throat is sore and irritated and makes swallowing a little uncomfortable, or if she actually is experiencing a very narrowed esophagus and has difficulty swallowing her own saliva. With dysphagia (aka difficulty swallowing), all is considered okay medically except when someone begins to have difficulty swallowing her own saliva. You need to call a doctor immediately, or head to the nearest emergency room, if that's the case.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:23 am
gold21 wrote:
That's what I suspected, which is why I kept asking. Why treat severe reflux symptoms with something intended for mild symptoms? Maalox won't help what she's dealing with. That's like putting a band aid on a broken ankle. She needs either Pepcid/Zantac, which can be gotten over the counter or a PPI medication, which is prescription only. The liquid antacid won't do much for her.

OK, so about the swallowing- too tight to swallow her own saliva? It's important to find out if it's just that her throat is sore and irritated and makes swallowing a little uncomfortable, or if she actually is experiencing a very narrowed esophagus and has difficulty swallowing her own saliva. With dysphagia (aka difficulty swallowing), all is considered okay medically except when someone begins to have difficulty swallowing her own saliva. You need to call a doctor immediately, or head to the nearest emergency room, if that's the case.

Prevacid is a PPI, which is OTC.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:31 am
I agree the child should be seen by a doctor immediately. The swallowing thing is very concerning.

With regard to reflux, I had it from when I was 5. I had it so bad I went to Er during university one time.

By the time I was 40 I was taking 2-40 mg nexium a day to keep it at bay. Now, since stopping eating sugars, grains and starches, I don’t get reflux. Rarely any nexium ( unless taking meds that need stomach protection.) I wish I’d known all those years.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics