Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel, my vent
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:30 pm
Lesia wrote:
It doesn’t either necessarily mean that she’s an actual rebbetzin. Seems to be just an honorary title for an old woman.

They specify that her husband was rav whatever

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:17 pm
If you have 6 properties, that means that all your money is tied up in real estate. You can still be extremely "cash poor".

I felt that the families shown were pretty middle class for the area. All the kids had clean clothes that were in perfect condition, sparse but good sized apartments, and food on the table.

Life can be a struggle, but there is so much less emphasis on "having things". It's a whole different world than the US, and if you've never been there you can't really understand.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:34 pm
Mevater wrote:
If more are collecting than giving, who are the givers? Non Charedis?

They travel to chutz . Before pesach & In Elul we’re inundated with mishulachim . Most collecting to marry off kids.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:37 pm
If anything the economics of shtissel don’t make sense to me in the opposite direction. They seem to live a middle class life overall but shulem would presumably be wealthy if he is paying 6 mortgages. Which doesn’t make sense if he is a school rebbe. And I guess the other brothers wife works? Because I think he learns in kollel full time which doesn’t pay. But everyone seems very comfortable.

meyerlemon44

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:06 pm
It makes much more sense that Shulem is paying part of 6 mortgages than 6 mortgages total. Thanks for the explanations, all.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
I just began watching Shtisel and Im hooked.

But I think theyre misrepresenting the facts, certainly from a financial viewpoint.

They show many of the characters struggling financially, like Shulem, Gitty, Shulem's son who regrets not becoming a singer, etc. and I think the message is that with no secular education, youre doomed to struggling.

In reality, whether in the USA or Israel, who in either Charedi community, are the ones donating the multi millions to build the glorious Shuls?????????????????

Not the (usually more modern) lawyers and doctors, who killed themselves for their educations and their careers. Its ALL businessmen with no college degrees, donating the millions.

True, there arent that many multi- millionaire frum businessmen who are successful enough to donate millions.

But in most cases,

Even though lawyers and doctors generally get a paycheck, and dont have to travel to Argentina to support their families, unless the professionals are 2 paycheck families or have Yerusha money, they cant give down payments to children (either in the USA or Israel).

While its the businessmen like plumbers and electricians (more Charedi and less Charedi, it has no connection to how religious they are), not only the multi millionaires, and not the professionals, are more likely to earn enough and save enough, to have enough money to give kids down payments and live a higher lifestyle.

So portraying the Charedi uneducated masses as predominantly and more likely to be struggling financially, isnt that real.

The way I see it, is, that its the much less struggling businessmen vs the more struggling professionals who can afford to be more generous with their families.

Imho, the message Shtisel gives off, even though the Stisel writers are very positive about the Charedi lifestyle, is that its the (nebach) Charedi population struggling financially more than others, which I feel is inaccurate.

If you thought the shtisels were poor, perhaps you haven't seen poverty. To me, they seemed to have what they need. (I grew up poor. This was not it)
There are many Jewish philanthropist that donate millions to Jewish centers and day schools around the world. This is not exclusive to chassidim, and many are college educated. I think you have an agenda and are seeing things thru those glasses.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:43 am
Lol! Poor? Maybe by American standards...

As a native Bnei Brak-er I would class the Shtisel cast as 'upper middle class'.
I also find most scenes between Akiva and Elisheva very inappropriate. In my circles people don't behave like that. But I guess that's what happens when you have a secular Israeli cast playing dress up as Charedim.

etky

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:30 am
I think that the decrepitude of the very old apartments in Meah Shearim is perhaps creating the false impression of poverty.
I watched the series and did not get the impression at all that the Shtisels were exceptionally poor.
Regarding the rebbitzen, I think she just enjoyed being irreverent; saying and doing what she wanted. It's one of the privileges of old age.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
I didn’t get this impression from the show at all. They don’t look like they’re living in poverty.
Yes in Israel it is much more difficult to make a living , you sound like you are speaking about here in the Us where there is much more opportunity
I havent read any further than this post yet, so possibly someone remarked on this, but NO, it is not over all more difficult to make a living in Israel. It depends on one's circumstances. FULL stop, no matter where. There are many many israelis that do better than fine and many that live a fine middle class life.
Meah shearim are small apartments and old, thats all, but they are not all living in poverty either.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:42 am
I'm sorry if I'm slightly OT, but the chain smoking!!! Is that exaggerated or does this community really smoke that much? Is there any sort of education in Meah Shearim about the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke, especially around children and babies?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:52 am
amother wrote:

I also find most scenes between Akiva and Elisheva very inappropriate. In my circles people don't behave like that. But I guess that's what happens when you have a secular Israeli cast playing dress up as Charedim.

Most people don't behave like that, and it is inappropriate.

That doesn't mean it's not realistic. The actors are playing humans, who are tempted by love, longing, and yes, even lust. If there was no zexual tension in the story, it would be a lot more boring.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:58 am
amother wrote:

So portraying the Charedi uneducated masses as predominantly and more likely to be struggling financially, isnt that real.

The way I see it, is, that its the much less struggling businessmen vs the more struggling professionals who can afford to be more generous with their families.

Imho, the message Shtisel gives off, even though the Stisel writers are very positive about the Charedi lifestyle, is that its the (nebach) Charedi population struggling financially more than others, which I feel is inaccurate.

Are you serious? Or is this satire?
The charedi population is among the poorest in Israel. Maybe only the Bedouins and some Arab villages are poorer.
I don't have the statistics in front of me, but any quick search in Hebrew will show you that over 40% of charedi families live below the poverty line! Bnei Brak and Jerusalem are among the poorest cities in the country.
If anything, the characters in Shtisel are better offf than their real life counterparts.

gingertop

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm slightly OT, but the chain smoking!!! Is that exaggerated or does this community really smoke that much? Is there any sort of education in Meah Shearim about the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke, especially around children and babies?

Haha. yes. Heavy smoking is quite prevalent in Yerushalmi circles. I think it's a combination of historically having been a stand in for food when the yishuv was starving plus the Ministry of Health's recommendations probably not filtering down so well due to a certain antagonism they have for govt authority.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:02 am
gingertop wrote:
Haha. yes. Heavy smoking is quite prevalent in Yerushalmi circles. I think it's a combination of historically having been a stand in for food when the yishuv was starving plus the Ministry of Health's recommendations probably not filtering down so well due to a certain antagonism they have for govt authority.

Off topic:

Nicotine is a great appetite suppressant. It also lowers stress levels.

A lot of bochurim pick it up socially, as a way to be "cool". Fortunately the rabbis have come down on it, so you don't see it so much with the younger generations now. Instead you see non stop sunflower seed chewing, and find piles of shells on every street corner and bus stop.

Something I'm starting to notice more and more lately, is that men are vaping e-cigs more often. It's a vast improvement. You can stand right next to them and not smell a thing.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:55 am
sequoia wrote:
Shulem is paying for SIX apartments.

They are definitely not poor.

I'm still puzzled over the number and think the writers made a mistake.
Akiva doesn't have a mortgage.
Tzvi Aryeh doesn't because they're living for free in the bubby's apartment
Racheli was basically cut off for marrying a meshichist chabdanik

malki2

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 6:06 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I just began watching Shtisel and Im hooked.

But I think theyre misrepresenting the facts, certainly from a financial viewpoint.

They show many of the characters struggling financially, like Shulem, Gitty, Shulem's son who regrets not becoming a singer, etc. and I think the message is that with no secular education, youre doomed . . .

I saw the show and I don’t see where this impression is given. On the contrary, Shulem Shtissel was a Cheder Rebbi, and had the money to pay for all his kids’ weddings and I think their apartments. His brother was also well-to-do. And Aryeh was not shown as being financially unsuccessful. Just that he had never made it to get a shteller and that he didn’t follow his dreams to become a singer.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:20 pm
The dating scenes and engaged couples hanging around Is very off from the community. But loved it , best parts of the show.
Need more!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics