Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
So torn about going back to work post baby

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:17 am
I’m feeling such a lack of self awareness right now, I really don’t know what I want or need. I had my first child this year and he is six months old. I didn’t work since I became pregnant with him ( due to health issues during the pregnancy) but I had worked before then for a number of years and never found a career that I truly enjoyed. I was offered a part time flexible job (30 hours a week, some days can work from home ) and I’m torn about whether this is an amazing opportunity to get back into the workplace or if I am just setting myself up to have another job I don’t enjoy plus the additional stress of having to be away from my baby all day ( for him and me). The job itself doesn’t particularly excite me but it’s an interesting company with good people. It’s hard to tell if I’m not excited because I’m just so sleep deprived or because I never had a job I really enjoyed or if it’s not the best fit for me.

I do not need to work in terms of $, although it will certainly be helpful financially. I somewhat enjoy being home with my baby but I also find it lonely and there are very few SAHMs where I live so it’s hard to have adult interactions. I don’t love the dynamic in my marriage when I’m not working- I enjoy contributing financially and I don’t love feeling like I’m responsible for more domestic stuff since I’m home all day. I am also worried about being out of the workplace for so long and how hard it will be to get a job at some point. On the other hand, am I rushing into something that doesn’t really excite me just because I’m afraid of becoming a depressed SAHM???
Anyone can relate? Any thoughts, insights?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:41 am
If you are still in 'sleep deprived mode' and you don't need to go back to work right now - don't. Give it a bit more time.

And when you do go back, your baby, if cared for well will not be stressed, and neither will you be.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:24 am
I would suggest looking for something even more part time, given your situation. Maybe something closer to 20 hours/ weeks would work out better for you.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:17 am
Maybe work an hour or 2 a day. Itll get u up and out in the morning.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
Maybe work an hour or 2 a day. Itll get u up and out in the morning.

Where would anyone find a job for an hour or two a day, unless theyre a very highly valued therapist, etc?

Telemarketing?

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:52 pm
From other moms, I've heard that the magic number is working 2 days a week (school assistant, office, sales, whatever). It lets you meet people, use your brain, freshen up etc., while still allowing you all the benefits of home life.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:22 pm
Rappel wrote:
From other moms, I've heard that the magic number is working 2 days a week (school assistant, office, sales, whatever). It lets you meet people, use your brain, freshen up etc., while still allowing you all the benefits of home life.

Why would a school hire someone for 2 days a week and someone else for the balance of the week? So that if important papers arent located, they have to call the person at home where they left them?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:30 pm
When my oldest was a baby I worked in a law firm two to three days a week. It was a great way to transition from not working to working full time which I do now. My current office has a fantastic woman who works for us three days a week doing sales. Its not so out of the realm of normal.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:54 pm
Thank you everyone. This was helpful.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
Why would a school hire someone for 2 days a week and someone else for the balance of the week? So that if important papers arent located, they have to call the person at home where they left them?

I meant teaching assistant, though here in Israel, you're more often hired as a full teacher for 2-3 days a week. There's such a shortage of math and English teachers that many places don't require accreditation, if you're any good.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
I’m feeling such a lack of self awareness right now, I really don’t know what I want or need. I had my first child this year and he is six months old. I didn’t work since I became pregnant with him ( due to health issues during the pregnancy) but I had worked before then for a number of years and never found a career that I truly enjoyed. I was offered a part time flexible job (30 hours a week, some days can work from home ) and I’m torn about whether this is an amazing opportunity to get back into the workplace or if I am just setting myself up to have another job I don’t enjoy plus the additional stress of having to be away from my baby all day ( for him and me). The job itself doesn’t particularly excite me but it’s an interesting company with good people. It’s hard to tell if I’m not excited because I’m just so sleep deprived or because I never had a job I really enjoyed or if it’s not the best fit for me.

I do not need to work in terms of $, although it will certainly be helpful financially. I somewhat enjoy being home with my baby but I also find it lonely and there are very few SAHMs where I live so it’s hard to have adult interactions. I don’t love the dynamic in my marriage when I’m not working- I enjoy contributing financially and I don’t love feeling like I’m responsible for more domestic stuff since I’m home all day. I am also worried about being out of the workplace for so long and how hard it will be to get a job at some point. On the other hand, am I rushing into something that doesn’t really excite me just because I’m afraid of becoming a depressed SAHM???
Anyone can relate? Any thoughts, insights?

I would take the job. It's not a marriage. If you see after a month or two that this isn't working for you, you can quit. It's that easy. Amazing that you can work from home some days!

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:45 pm
I would take the job

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 6:25 pm
I wouldn't take it. From 0 hours to 30 hrs?????you are going to feel like you have no time for yourself. Who is watching baby? It's near impossible to do work and watch baby...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics