Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
3yr old cant hold in #2

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:37 pm
My 3.2 yr old is trained for #1 but for some reason really can’t figure out #2.
He just makes in his underwear. He can’t hold it in long enough to run to the toilet. I think he doesn’t realize that it’s coming.
He’s very motivated but can’t do it. The only time he ever made in the toilet was when I stayed glued to his side and when I saw him about to make I plunked him on the toilet
Is this a development thing that I just have to wait it out?
Is there anything I can do?
Btw his stool is perfectly healthy and normal. Not constipated or diarrhea.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:04 pm
He might not know to identify the feeling before it becomes urgent. Or he might just be too busy playing. If it's either of those, teaching him mindfulness - or to visit the toilet every so often (say, directly after every meal) and stay on it long enough to read two picture books - might do the trick.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:32 pm
Does he have any other behaviors that would indicate poor body awareness in general? Such as not noticing when he's hungry/ tired/ thirsty/ full? Bumping or falling excessively? Extra physically clingy?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
Does he have any other behaviors that would indicate poor body awareness in general? Such as not noticing when he's hungry/ tired/ thirsty/ full? Bumping or falling excessively? Extra physically clingy?
not really. why?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:54 pm
Was he just toilet trained?? Sometimes it takes afew accidents till it clicks in the mind.

nchr

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:59 pm
Can you get him in a regular pattern so he can sit on the potty for 15 minutes every morning while your read to him and go to the restroom during that time?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
not really. why?

Sometimes difficulty toilet training is related to the above. But it sounds like that's not the case for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training