Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
DINI WIGS HYPE
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
My issue with spending a lot is that the styles change so quick! I paid a lot a few years ago for a gorgeous layered cut- since then the styles have changed to longer layers and different fronts so although the hair is still beautiful I dont enjoy it.
I guess if your spending a lot dont cut too much- you can always do that later

That is a real issue!

But for about $800 Dini can replace the whole top/front hair of a wig, enabling a change in style. My friend just did that at Dini and feels like she got a new wig!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:09 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I'll be a voice of dissent here.

I'm married 21 years, have purchased many sheitels in a variety of price ranges. They ALL looked horrid after one year, with the exception of my 2 year old Dini and a different brand that I paid $2,750 for 8 years ago.

Every wig that I paid $2,200 or less did not look good after a year. Some started feeling rough after just 4-6 months. They started looking ratty and only looked pretty for that first 24 hours after being washed and blown.

Maybe I'm more picky than some of you, yet I do want to have silky, pretty hair on my wig.

To me, it's cheaper to buy a $3,500+ wig and be happy with it for 6-8 years than to buy a $1,500 wig and be unhappy with it after a year. Divide the price by the years. Do the math.

Additionally, Dini fixed the hairline of my wig and removed the ear pieces at no charge during the first year. When you pay less, you will pay a lot for repairs, assuming you want the hairline to fit in a specific way.

My 8 year old wig just died, so now I'm saving for another Dini. I'd rather spend an "obscene" amount of money for a wig whose hair looks beautiful for several years, and has great customer service, than half of that amount on a wig that will feel like a rat's tail next year.

Your posts read like a paid endorsement, so I went to Dini Wig's Instagram and sure enough there is a photo of you wearing a Dini wig.
Every honest sheitel macher will tell you that a wig worn on a daily basis will not last more than a few years. I have yet to hear a sheitel macher claiming that a more expensive one will last longer. Even if the hair looks great after a few years, it will most likely be oxidized and no longer look nice.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,
Are Dini wigs worth the hype?
Are all their skintops really natural?
Is it worth the money?

Yes. I love my dini wig. very natural and great hair quality

aricelli

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
Your posts read like a paid endorsement, so I went to Dini Wig's Instagram and sure enough there is a photo of you wearing a Dini wig.
Every honest sheitel macher will tell you that a wig worn on a daily basis will not last more than a few years. I have yet to hear a sheitel macher claiming that a more expensive one will last longer. Even if the hair looks great after a few years, it will most likely be oxidized and no longer look nice.

My expensive wigs definately stayed nice for longer- even if I needed to dye them the hair is still beautiful longer

ahuva06

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:

All that means is that she agreed to have her photo put on her page. Tranquilityandpeace is one of the most authentic people I know on Instagram. I wouldn't be so quick to accuse her of advertising something that she doesn't believe to be true.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:25 pm
I'm not doubting anyone's personal experience, but BH I'm happy to say that I've never paid for than $1500 for a wig and I've been very happy with what I got. One lasted 8 years beautifully, and I'm still wearing it 3 years later even though it's ready to retire. Another one I have for five years and it looks great, and a third is looking brand new after a year and a half.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:28 pm
Dini puts pictures on her instagram at random of anyone who buys a wig from her. A picture on her page doesn’t mean anything except that you happen to buy a wig from her and it looked good enough to post.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:35 pm
aricelli wrote:
My expensive wigs definately stayed nice for longer- even if I needed to dye them the hair is still beautiful longer

Yet we have a poster claiming that her cheaper wig lasted 8 years. I think we can chalk these experiences up to mazel, and not price tags.
I purchased a Claire wig years ago when it was equivalent to a Dini and I wasn’t happy with it.
It also did not last for more than a few years.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
Yet we have a poster claiming that her cheaper wig lasted 8 years. I think we can chalk these experiences up to mazel, and not price tags.
I purchased a Claire wig years ago when it was equivalent to a Dini and I wasn’t happy with it.
It also did not last for more than a few years.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes it's mazal. It's always worth doing research, because some cheaper brands really are inferior quality and most buyers will corroborate that. Anyway, this is why I wrote that no wig is worth the hype.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:

No, I am not paid by Dini. They seem to have a great marketing team without me. They have a selfie contest, and I gave them permission to use my photo, but I did not win their hair accessory kit!

I'm not a daily wig wearer at all.

I'm a newborn photographer, and wear a tichel while working. Prior to that, I had an online business at home.

Recently, I did some errands on Thursday, and put on my wig and couldn't find my pocketbook. Finally, I found it in my closet, where I put it away for Shabbos, and I realized that I hadn't left my house since the prior week! So... I wear a wig for Shabbos meals, date night, and a few other meetings/errands each week.

I actually have a post on here from about 8 years ago when I tried a really cheap wig and advertised it here for the seller, with full disclosure. It looked good for just a few months, and then was useless.

A sheitel macher friend of mine told me that many companies put some kind of conditioner/oil on the hair to make it silky, and after a few washes, the rough texture is evident. I'd guess that's what happened to most of my wigs, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure.

I also recently photographed a sheitel macher, and when she was choosing her photos, she told me, "I wish that I'd worn my Dini rather than this XYZ wig, you see how the ends of the wig are not laying directly on my back, but sticking back in the air?" Thankfully, I was able to Photoshop down the strands of her wig, but she told me that she finds Dini hair to be in a class of its own.

I have no skin in this game, just sharing the mathematical value that has become apparent to me, based on my experience.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:45 pm
ahuva06 wrote:
All that means is that she agreed to have her photo put on her page. Tranquilityandpeace is one of the most authentic people I know on Instagram. I wouldn't be so quick to accuse her of advertising something that she doesn't believe to be true.

Aww, thank you Heart

Do I know you on Insta?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:47 pm
One more thought: If I counted correctly, I purchased 14 wigs since I got engaged in 1997. At all different price points. I'm simply sharing my experience; however, it's not sufficient data for a scientific paper!!!

ahuva06

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 6:52 pm
Aww, thank you Heart

Do I know you on Insta?

I slide into your dm's every so often Wink I'm a big fan of yours!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 7:23 pm
SNIP

A sheitel macher friend of mine told me that many companies put some kind of conditioner/oil on the hair to make it silky, and after a few washes, the rough texture is evident. I'd guess that's what happened to most of my wigs, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure.

SNIP

What is this magical product that turns damaged hair silky? Those of us who received lemons would love to "retreat" the hair to at least look like what it did when we received it. Twisted Evil

Shuly

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:24 am
Biosilk

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 1:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What is this magical product that turns damaged hair silky? Those of us who received lemons would love to "retreat" the hair to at least look like what it did when we received it. Twisted Evil

The shaitel machers know about it!
I keep getting offered a "conditioning" for my lemons but don't want to put more $$ into them.

ahuva06

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 1:53 pm
Shuly wrote:
Biosilk

This. And Moroccan oil also works well. Apply a very little bit to your hands and massage it into the wig hair.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 2:11 pm
One more thought: If I counted correctly, I purchased 14 wigs since I got engaged in 1997. At all different price points. I'm simply sharing my experience; however, it's not sufficient data for a scientific paper!!!

I got married in 1996, so I’ve also purchased quite a few sheitels since then.
When I bought my first one for $1000 (cut wasn’t included, so very expensive back then), custom wigs were pretty new to the market.
When I bought it to a sheitel macher for a cut, she showed me that it was full of nits.
It was disgusting.
There was no way the wig manufacturer was unaware of the nits infestation,
I can’t say that any of the brand name expensive wigs are worth their money.
There is a reason that many wig brands that used to be popular are no longer well-known or in business.
The hype doesn’t last too long. You can’t fool people forever.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 3:37 pm
A bit off topic, but I just found an ad in Mishpacha for a “teeny Dini” doll with a real human hair wig Surprised LOL It’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen! Plus it starts at $170! Omg talk about hype!

Anon cuz I’ve been posting it on all my chats Tongue Out

doctorima

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 9:24 pm
Great news - no need to pay an exorbitant amount like $170, when you can get a Teeny Dini on Amazon for only $149! Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics