Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Purim- Financial Situation
Previous  1  2

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
I know it's a given and expected to give Money on Purim to sons Rebbi's, Magid Shiurim and Menahalim along with the MM.
We are struggling financially. My DH sais that we don't have the means to give so he just won't give any money. I feel that it's only appropriate and we'll have to figure something out. Even just a small amount but DH refuses.
What's the right thing to do in our situation?

Use Maaser money, which you have to give anyway...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 7:02 pm
Cheiny wrote:

This is not true.
Maaser is not an obligation these days the same way it used to be. Ask your Rav if you should be giving maaser if you are in a tight financial situation.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:45 pm
Cheiny wrote:

It doesn't always qualify for maser. Sometimes the Rebbes are wealthier than some parents. Especially with all these tax free gifts multiple times a year. 30 kids in a class and even if they get $20 (and many give more)- that is $600 multiple times a year! I have heard on imamother to give Channukah, Purim, pesach. Some add in tu beshvat, RH and Shavuous. Some do every Rosh Chodesh...
And I want to echo a point made above- teachers should not expect or even accept financial or expensive gifts. In many fields it is unethical to accept such gifts due to issues of bias, favoritism, or other ethical considerations. Teachers in public school often have these rules. Yeshivos should have them as well. No teacher can honestly say they won't favor, give extra attention, call that parent first, make exceptions for that child etc if given an expensive gift/check. It is a natural human reaction.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics