Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Fellow physicians, please help me pick a specialty
1  2  3  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:01 am
Fellow physicians,

Please help me pick a medical specialty. I'm nearing the end of my third year in medical school. Have two small children and am utterly exhausted. I do not regret for a moment going to medical school, but I am tired and want something that post-residency, will allow me to make a good living working a normal 40-hour work week or less. I like procedures and hands on. Don't like the endless rounding and discussion that happens on medicine. Don't like peds and don't like neuro. If you like/dislike your specialty, please explain WHY.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:05 am
My cousin is an Opthamolgist and loves the work life balance. He has 9-5 hours but also gets to do procedures a few days a week. Now that he is older, he even is able to take a week day off for personal time.

I have an uncle who is a urologist who choose the specialty for the same reason. He works standard business hours, gets to do some minor surgical procedures and due to the size of his practice is only on call one weekend a month.

I once read an article that rheumatologists have the best work/life balance and that there are not enough of them so you will always have enough patients to see.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:09 am
Anesthesiology
Dermatology
Physiatry

All have great work life balance and excellent pay.

mig100

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
Fellow physicians,

Please help me pick a medical specialty. I'm nearing the end of my third year in medical school. Have two small children and am utterly exhausted. I do not regret for a moment going to medical school, but I am tired and want something that post-residency, will allow me to make a good living working a normal 40-hour work week or less. I like procedures and hands on. Don't like the endless rounding and discussion that happens on medicine. Don't like peds and don't like neuro. If you like/dislike your specialty, please explain WHY.

Im not a physician so I don't know if I qualify to answer.

I also don't know how practical this is and how much it interest u.

I just think there's always strong need for female obgyn. Just my personal opinion.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:25 am
I second the poster who wrote
Anaesthesiology and Dermatology
I happen to be in Telemedicine, this after being a GP ( and still part time working as one) and I love it
Nothing hands on, but very varied cases and extremely regular hours
Concerning the poster who wrote Ob/Gyn. There is not much work life balance in that speciality although it is thrilling

amother
White

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:27 am
What about Radiology?

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:29 am
My neighbor is a radiologist and he works the night shift from home. I wonder how many others can get the same kind of job though....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:39 am
Any fellow anesthesiologists here who can chime in? Particularly about work/life balance and pay?

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:42 am
mha3484 wrote:
My cousin is an Opthamolgist and loves the work life balance. He has 9-5 hours but also gets to do procedures a few days a week. Now that he is older, he even is able to take a week day off for personal time.

I have an uncle who is a urologist who choose the specialty for the same reason. He works standard business hours, gets to do some minor surgical procedures and due to the size of his practice is only on call one weekend a month.

I once read an article that rheumatologists have the best work/life balance and that there are not enough of them so you will always have enough patients to see.

I have a relative whos an opthamologist. She picked it for the life/work balance. She did not work full time while her children were young.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:42 am
Something to be aware of, the specialties with the best work/life balance are also the hardest residencies to get into. Definitely come up with at least three to consider.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:48 am
I'm not a doctor but have lots of family in the health field... I believe anesthesiologists are among the highest paid speciality, but with that comes lots of pressure and the highest suicide rates among doctors. Something to keep in mind

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:57 am
mig100 wrote:
Im not a physician so I don't know if I qualify to answer.

I also don't know how practical this is and how much it interest u.

I just think there's always strong need for female obgyn. Just my personal opinion.

Lol
This is the most clueless post I’ve read in a long time.... Op said she likes minor surgical procedures and want “normal” hours.
Thanks for the 😆

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:02 pm
Op, I think dermatology would suit u. It’s hands on and not a 100000 discussions....
I’m a radiologist. Not crazy hours, but a lot to talk about Smile

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Fellow physicians,

If you don't want to work outside of 9 to 5, consider dermatology or podiatry.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:08 pm
I appreciate all the input...but fellow physicians, can you chime in please? I need to hear things firsthand.

nchr

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:14 pm
Not a physician, but I know many and Derm sounds like it may be an appropriate match for you.

mig100

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Lol
This is the most clueless post I’ve read in a long time.... Op said she likes minor surgical procedures and want “normal” hours.
Thanks for the 😆

Im glad I gave u a good laugh I didn't think it offers best hours.. which is part of reason theres a need

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:22 pm
Derm is very competitive. Not that I can't try for it. But I need to expand options in case I decide it's not worth the effort. Fellow docs?

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:30 pm
I’m not a doctor but almost all my relatives are

What about an allergist?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
Derm is very competitive. Not that I can't try for it. But I need to expand options in case I decide it's not worth the effort. Fellow docs?

You’re not going to find a lot of fellow doctors on this site.

SDN.net would be a better forum for this discussion.

Good luck! (husband is a surgical resident, it is hell!)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics