Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to save data to a CD without burning it

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 3:04 pm
I have large CAD files that I want to save to a CD, but if I burn it, each one takes over 1 hour to complete. How can I save the stuff on the CD without burning it?
Thanks

srbmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 3:30 pm
Saving to a CD is burning. No other way to do it

Why don't you save to an external hard drive?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 3:44 pm
srbmom wrote:
Saving to a CD is burning. No other way to do it

Why don't you save to an external hard drive?

I need to submit them to a team of 50 workers. I remember other professionals have sent me CDs that were not burned but had dragged and dropped files in them, but if I do that the data isn't saved. Hmmm. So can you no longer just drag and drop without burning?

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
I need to submit them to a team of 50 workers. I remember other professionals have sent me CDs that were not burned but had dragged and dropped files in them, but if I do that the data isn't saved. Hmmm. So can you no longer just drag and drop without burning?

CDs work differently than USB thumbdrives and SD cards. All information gets burned onto it, permanently, unless it's a rewritable CD. Even those need to be burned but can then be overwritten.

What makes you think the CDs you've received in the past were created by dragging and dropping?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:47 pm
youngishbear wrote:
CDs work differently than USB thumbdrives and SD cards. All information gets burned onto it, permanently, unless it's a rewritable CD. Even those need to be burned but can then be overwritten.

What makes you think the CDs you've received in the past were created by dragging and dropping?

Because I was able to remove the files from the CD and edit the ones that were on the CD....

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
Because I was able to remove the files from the CD and edit the ones that were on the CD....

Remove and edit on the CD? Or copy and save it on your drive?

I saw something online about multisession discs, which allow you to continue adding files to a CD. There's also the option of a rewritable CD as I mentioned.

I'm really curious. I stopped using CDs a long time ago for this reason. I would love to find out that technology has advanced meanwhile.

ETA: Can you ask one of the people who had sent you such a CD in the past?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:58 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Remove and edit on the CD? Or copy and save it on your drive?

I saw something online about multisession discs, which allow you to continue adding files to a CD. There's also the option of a rewritable CD as I mentioned.

I'm really curious. I stopped using CDs a long time ago for this reason. I would love to find out that technology has advanced meanwhile.

ETA: Can you ask one of the people who had sent you such a CD in the past?

I was able to do the following (just like a USB):
1. Copy and Save it to my drive
2. Remove it (delete it) from a CD
3. Open it and edit it while still on the CD

I suppose I could call them but they are not open until Monday and wanted to get this finished by Sunday.

On another note, is there any way to burn CDs faster? I don't care of it they are not "locked."

srbmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 6:40 pm
Burning CDs shouldn't take an hour. They don't usually have enough storage capability to take that long, unless it was a DVD. Maybe try a different burning program. Or is it possible that it's estimating it will take an hour and then the process starts and goes much faster than that?

I haven't used CDs in years so I guess things could have changed since then...

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 12:54 pm
Any reason you can't just use a thumb drive?

Or share it with your colleagues via Dropbox or WeTransfer or Google Drive?

youngishbear

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
I was able to do the following (just like a USB):
1. Copy and Save it to my drive
2. Remove it (delete it) from a CD
3. Open it and edit it while still on the CD

I suppose I could call them but they are not open until Monday and wanted to get this finished by Sunday.

On another note, is there any way to burn CDs faster? I don't care of it they are not "locked."

Interesting. Look into multisession discs because that's the only thing I found that allowed editing.

If you figure this out, please share.

ggdm

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:43 am
CDs (and DVDs) work by burning. No other way. The laser recognizes the "valleys" that are burned into the surface of the disk and translates it into data.

There are multisession CDs that allow you to burn several times. Maybe that was done in a way so integrated into your file explorer that you didn't notice. Or maybe it was not actually changed on the CD, but on your computer and you didn't notice that. But sorry, saving on CD without burning doesn't exist.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:07 pm
Just wanted to update everyone. I bought re-writable DVDs and was able to use them "drag and drop" style like a USB...

srbmom

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:09 pm
Good to know! Thanks for the update

ggdm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Just wanted to update everyone. I bought re-writable DVDs and was able to use them "drag and drop" style like a USB...
That's what I meant. You burn the CD each time, that is just how writing to a CD works. It is a multisession CD, where it is possible to burn several times. The process of burning is so integrated in your operating system that you do not notice that that is what you are doing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:40 am
ggdm wrote:
That's what I meant. You burn the CD each time, that is just how writing to a CD works. It is a multisession CD, where it is possible to burn several times. The process of burning is so integrated in your operating system that you do not notice that that is what you are doing.

No. I never need to burn it. Just drag and drop and eject like a USB. When inserted the DVD-wr my computer asked me if I wanted to use it like a USB.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
No. I never need to burn it. Just drag and drop and eject like a USB. When inserted the DVD-wr my computer asked me if I wanted to use it like a USB.

Writing files to a DVD/CD is referred to as 'burning'.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
Writing files to a DVD/CD is referred to as 'burning'.

I did not need to click write to disc or burn to disc. They do not need to be unwritten. I don't know how to explain it but it worked just like a USB, which many posters here had said could not be done.

ggdm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I did not need to click write to disc or burn to disc. They do not need to be unwritten. I don't know how to explain it but it worked just like a USB, which many posters here had said could not be done.

When you eject the CD, what is happening in the background is that the operating system (Windows, Apple, whatever) burns the data to the disk.

Burning a CD = using a laser to make markings in the writable layer of the CD that later that same laser can read (via light reflection which is different for the places that have markings and those without). That's how a CD works.

Nice to hear that today it is as easy to use a CD as a USB drive.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 5:47 pm
ggdm wrote:
When you eject the CD, what is happening in the background is that the operating system (Windows, Apple, whatever) burns the data to the disk.

Burning a CD = using a laser to make markings in the writable layer of the CD that later that same laser can read (via light reflection which is different for the places that have markings and those without). That's how a CD works.

Nice to hear that today it is as easy to use a CD as a USB drive.

Got it, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics