Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Fellow physicians, please help me pick a specialty
Previous  1  2  3  Next

1ofbillions

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
Lol
This is the most clueless post I’ve read in a long time.... Op said she likes minor surgical procedures and want “normal” hours.
Thanks for the 😆

Rude!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
You’re not going to find a lot of fellow doctors on this site.

SDN.net would be a better forum for this discussion.

Good luck! (husband is a surgical resident, it is hell!)

SDN is like going down a rabbit hole with no exit! There's got to be a sprinkling of docs here, or so I thought.

nchr

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
SDN is like going down a rabbit hole with no exit! There's got to be a sprinkling of docs here, or so I thought.

Refer to this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....56014
Looks like there are less than 6 who participated in the poll.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:16 pm
Whoever said podiatry...that's not a residency. Podiatrists have their own school. They dont go to medical school so that wouldn't work for OP.
Like other posters said, radiology and dermatology are good choices. I would add orthopedics. You can do some procedures and I know they are in demand as I can never get an appointment! Anesthesia is good too but malpractice insurance is sky high and the work can be stressful.
My husband is an ENT but the hours are crazy. He loves it but there are always emergencies. I would not recommend it for what you are describing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:16 pm
My father is a rheumatologist, and one of the main reasons he chose the specialty was for the work life balance. He doesn't perform any procedures; but has no call hours, works less than 40 hours a week, and is very in demand bH due to the lack of rheumatologist in the area.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:21 pm
First of all, kudos to you for making it this far. As the mother of a child who just matched, I hear your concerns. Derm (assuming you'd like it) is great, but as you know highly competitive. You likely would need to take a year off to do research, and really rock your Step 2. Psychiatry is becoming increasingly competitive, because of the lifestyle issues you stated, but definitely doable. Regardless of what you decide, really focus on doing well on Step 2 to give you the mist options. Anesthesia can be great for a mother (once you're an attending), because of part time opportunities, but getting a residency has become very competitive, and the day starts at 6am. A shomer shabbos residency in anesthesia (in the NY area) is almost impossible to find. You're almost there. The best advice, is to make yourself the best candidate you can to negotiate the best residency, in any field.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:27 pm
Endocrinologist,? I would personally hi more the eye doctor route. Skin can be really really gross 😷. And boring. Fasciitis is as exciting as it gets and uggh.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:35 pm
How about gynecology? NOT obstetrics. I recently switched to a gyno who no longer does ob... she was tired of the crazy ob hours... and I know a lot of women who would prefer a gynecologist who doesn’t leave you in the waiting room for hours while someone is having a baby. Has some procedures, not that many emergencies.

mig100

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
How about gynecology? NOT obstetrics. I recently switched to a gyno who no longer does ob... she was tired of the crazy ob hours... and I know a lot of women who would prefer a gynecologist who doesn’t leave you in the waiting room for hours while someone is having a baby. Has some procedures, not that many emergencies.

Yeah that's what I meant also. definitely heard from others that theres a need

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
First of all, kudos to you for making it this far. As the mother of a child who just matched, I hear your concerns. Derm (assuming you'd like it) is great, but as you know highly competitive. You likely would need to take a year off to do research, and really rock your Step 2. Psychiatry is becoming increasingly competitive, because of the lifestyle issues you stated, but definitely doable. Regardless of what you decide, really focus on doing well on Step 2 to give you the mist options. Anesthesia can be great for a mother (once you're an attending), because of part time opportunities, but getting a residency has become very competitive, and the day starts at 6am. A shomer shabbos residency in anesthesia (in the NY area) is almost impossible to find. You're almost there. The best advice, is to make yourself the best candidate you can to negotiate the best residency, in any field.

Anesthesia is competitive, but still mid-level. You can look at the match data and see that most US graduates match. It is nowhere near derm. As far as the day starting at 6 am, is that as a resident or as an attending. I HATE mornings, and while this is not something I can control as a resident, as an attending, I do not want to be scrambling to get to work before my kids are in school.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 6:41 pm
A relative of mine was a dermatologist in private practice. He had an emergency once ever few years. Other than that, 8-4 job.

I remember hearing over a decade ago that it was a hard specialty to get into. I'd imagine even more so now.

But the dermatologist loved what he did!

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:

There are a lot of Facebook groups for doctors, female doctors, female doctor moms, look for one.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 8:45 pm
Derm is very competitive, but if you have the scores, research, connections it's a great option. They don't work 40 hours a week. As an anesthesiologist you will always have an early start unless you end up in an outpatient facility, and even those start pretty early. OB GYN is not a good lifestyle. Although we need them, you will work very very hard. IM subspecialties that don't have too many emergencies would be a good choice. Others have mentioned rheumatology- almost no emergencies, even endo, allergy. GI is a hands on procedural specialty but a little more work than the others I mentioned. PMR seems like a good fit but it does involve neuro and msk a bit and you mentioned you didn't like neuro. It was pretty easy to get into but I heard it's getting a little more competitive. You can do IM without subspecialty. Financially, it may make sense because you're done in 3 years and some IM subspecialties don't make much more than IM without subspecialty. Psych has a better lifestyle because you can set your own hours, but it depends on whether you would enjoy it. Pathology and Radiology have more normal hours but they are very broad, you spend a lot of time studying, and they're becoming more competitive. Radiology has some procedures. Ophthalmology is also a good lifestyle choice but competitive too. If you like working with your hands surgery seems like an obvious choice but it's a horrible lifestyle.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 9:41 pm
Aside from what has already been mentioned, Emergency Medicine is an option. It can range from mind numbing boredom to life saving and everything in between including procedures. All in a days work. And the work is finite. 12 hour shifts 3 times per week. And scribes doing a lot of the charting.

dankbar

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 9:50 pm
Ob has to be ready to drop everything in a moment at oddest times

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 9:52 pm
Another one I just thought of - Urology. Not the most pleasant of specialties, but not too stressful from what I've heard

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 10:11 pm
I'm not a doctor but I work in a hospital. Here are some options -
Endoscopist (GI subspecialty)
Radiation oncologist
Residency in anything and work for an insurance company

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 10:12 pm
Gerontology is a booming field, though pay is close to what a GP makes.
Hem-onc seems to be very popular among the female med students I know.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 10:20 pm
You asked for the voice of a female, frum physician? Here goes (note that I'm a neurologist, so not your area of interest, although I love, love, love what I do but work like a dog). Also note that work in Canada, but there are still similarities.

Best suited for frum family life? Hands down family / general medicine (for part-time then transition to full time later when kids are older).

Derm is very competitive, and actually involves a lot of internal medicine and practice will depend if you want to be hospital-affiliated or not.

My best advice to you is to think about what what you like the most? What excites you?

How supportive is your husband? How do you manage shabbos now in med-school? Chaggim?
There are times when I see patients well pas licht-bentchen, because I'm thrombolysing a patient or doing a lumbar puncture that the ER docs were unable to do for a meningitis or encephalitis. My husband is very supportive, and my kids are very independent. I have help at home (was full time when my kids were much smaller).

All this to say, choose what you like. Better yet, choose what you love and sparks you. The rest will fall into place.

If you'd like to bounce ideas around more, consider joining the women in science group (I may not have the right name.... Jawscience was the mod once upon a time). Hug

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Mar 16 2019, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Gerontology is a booming field, though pay is close to what a GP makes.
Hem-onc seems to be very popular among the female med students I know.

Amonther amber is right. If you like internal medicine and the elderly, and have a lot of patience, then Gerontology is a good suggestion.

But remember to be true to yourself. You will be working in your chosen field for an anticipated 25-45 years, depending on your current age, health, and life circumstances, so better to choose the speciality you love, than the one you think is most convenient.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics