Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Style advice for a simcha

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:10 am
I am looking for a dress to wear to my son's barmitzvah and need advice please on what's in style! I need to find something that will look flattering - I am not overweight but I carry lots of surplus weight around my middle which doesn't seem to be disappearing so fast Smile Thank you to all the fashion gurus out there! PS I live in Israel so can't really shop online but ideas are helpful.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:37 pm
I would go with something classy that never is in style and never is out of style. Simple-no fussy details, looks classier and more flattering. Dresses are more in style than outfits.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking for a dress to wear to my son's barmitzvah and need advice please on what's in style! I need to find something that will look flattering - I am not overweight but I carry lots of surplus weightaround my middle which doesn't seem to be disappearing so fast Smile Thank you to all the fashion gurus out there! PS I live in Israel so can't really shop online but ideas are helpful.
Can't Believe It

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Can't Believe It

That's rude. Plenty of people have weight in the normal range and still have excess fat or skin in some areas.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:41 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I would go with something classy that never is in style and never is out of style. Simple-no fussy details, looks classier and more flattering. Dresses are more in style than outfits.

A two piece outfit might be more flattering for ops body type.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:48 pm
An empire waist dress. Maybe a sheath dress with a jacket/blazer on top.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:47 am
OP here ,thanks for the replies
For the amother with the weird emoji - assuming that wasn't sympathy but was actually rude - I am post birth, within healthy bmi and dieting and exercising. I was asking for fashion advice, not for someone to anonymously make me feel bad.
For everyone else, thanks for the advice

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 6:02 am
OP I feel for you. I had twins 3 months ago and am still carrying some extra weight around my mid section but am otherwise quite thin. Very rude of anyone who would post negative emojis. I second Cobalt's suggestions.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 7:32 am
Mazel Tov on the bar mitzvah!

Where do you live? Perhaps we can recommend a store with knowledgeable saleswomen to help you. I also have excess weight in my stomach and have found spanx plus a fitted waistline to ironically look best. But I save spanx for very special, rare occasions.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
Can't Believe It

That is so mean.

Not to mention shallow.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
That's rude. Plenty of people have weight in the normal range and still have excess fat or skin in some areas.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just found this confusing.
I thought the definition of overweight was carrying lots of surplus of fat. I guess I was mistaken.

Anyway, carry on.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:02 am
Thanks all
I am going to be shopping in Jerusalem and will be happy to hear about any stores that have helpful salespeople or good selection. So far I have been advised to go to one of a kind - anywhere else in Geula? Or elsewhere?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:20 am
One of a kind is a great place!
Hatzlocha with finding a dress you love
I'm being in Geula today, so I might bump into you there Wink

dats me

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:45 am
Esti's on rechov alshich has beautiful American/euro style clothing. Definitely worth checking out.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just found this confusing.
I thought the definition of overweight was carrying lots of surplus of fat. I guess I was mistaken.

Anyway, carry on.

You could be in a normal BMI
And flabby in the middle
Or what you are use to

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:53 am
OP, no fashion advice but you possibly have diastasis rectii. Not sure if I am spelling that right but its stomach muscles that separate during pregnancy. You can fix it with exercise. Google it.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:38 pm
Like everyone else said: don't pick an outfit which has a line cut across your waist.

If you're picking a dress, have the waistline be higher than your actual wait, like an empire cut.

If you're wearing an outfit, be sure your top/jacket is either longer, or shorter, (like those crop jackets that come to chest height) than your middle.

Diagonal lines are a great way to keep the eye moving across your body, instead of landing on any one feature.

A bright color around your face and neck, or heavy jewelry there, will draw people's attention up and to you.

Enjoy your little squish, and mazal tov on the bar mitzvah!

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:27 pm
When I was a few months postpartum and heavy by the middle, I found a simple black aline dress, with detailing on the sleeves. The waist line on the dress was sewn on a diagonal, starting on one side by my waist and continueing downward till about upper thigh. Was a very flattering look, I wore that dress so many times,

I don’t live in yerushalayim so cant help you with stores but simple black a-line might work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics