Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How does one become an occupational therapist?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
R u sure? Cuz I do Medicare billing for skilled nursing facilities and didn't hear Anything about that.

https://www.healthcarefinancen.....n-and

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 1:39 pm
aricelli wrote:
I was doing research in this and have heard that too- can you explain the differences?

In no specific order, and in very brief:

1. An OTA will always be working under someone in the same role. An OT has many more options in terms of her career path- clinical work, management, consultant, etc. An OT can work independently while an OTA can't.

2. Having the background knowledge that OT school provides. I'm sure there are driven OTAs who independently learn a lot, but I can't imagine doing this work well without every single one of the classes I took in OT school.

3. One of the most stimulating parts of the job for me personally is evaluating a child, figuring out underlying causes and patterns, and creating the treatment plan. This is all limited to OT only.

4. As mentioned, the salary.

That's all I can type up now.

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:06 pm
She can go into whatever field she wants. I am currently an ota and im not sure what your saying is a diffferent skill set but quite honsetly in most settings cota and ot do exactly the same things except for evaluations (which is the hard part and gives tonz more paperwork) cotas and ots treat go to meetings do documentation the same way ots do and it is the exact same field. Im saying this as someome who jas been in this field a while now and seen many different settings in the ot field geriatrics school peeds clinic etc.... in the long run makes more sense to b an ot of course however in ratio to the amount of money you put into schooling and the amount of time...in my personal opinion ota makes more sense. Especially as op sounds unsure and that ota may be an option for her.

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:08 pm
And yes as the poster above stated...those are the differences definitely but in terms of different skill set needed and that its a different job or role...not really.

aricelli

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
In no specific order, and in very brief:

1. An OTA will always be working under someone in the same role. An OT has many more options in terms of her career path- clinical work, management, consultant, etc. An OT can work independently while an OTA can't.

2. Having the background knowledge that OT school provides. I'm sure there are driven OTAs who independently learn a lot, but I can't imagine doing this work well without every single one of the classes I took in OT school.

3. One of the most stimulating parts of the job for me personally is evaluating a child, figuring out underlying causes and patterns, and creating the treatment plan. This is all limited to OT only.

4. As mentioned, the salary.

That's all I can type up now.

Seagreen ir newlywed: when you have time:
My brother whos an OT also said that he doesnt think an OTA has opportunities in a school or center setting but rather would work in a clinic- would you think that is so?

Last edited by aricelli on Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:15 pm
Otas can work in schools clinics hospitals rehabs and home care in many states. I know nj does not allow otas to do early intervention but that is about the only restriction in terms of setting that I know.

aricelli

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:22 pm
I know they can- I was just wondering how common it was and if centers were hiring OTA’s because I have only heard of OT’s in sensory gyms and school settings- but I could be wrong

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:31 pm
Schools definitely have opputunities around ny nj....not sure what you mean by centers...rehab centers? Rehabs and geriatric long term care facilities are very quick to hire otas too as they can pay em less for the same work Smile)

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:40 pm
newlywed613 wrote:
And yes as the poster above stated...those are the differences definitely but in terms of different skill set needed and that its a different job or role...not really.

Obviously there are areas of overlap, such as actual treatment sessions. It's in the areas of differences that I see a very different skill set needed, and yes, different roles: the evaluation process, managerial roles, consulting, etc. I would not have been happy working as an OTA. Most OTAs would not be happy working as OTs.

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 4:41 pm
Right, I definitely hear that.

aricelli

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:45 pm
newlywed613 wrote:
Schools definitely have opputunities around ny nj....not sure what you mean by centers...rehab centers? Rehabs and geriatric long term care facilities are very quick to hire otas too as they can pay em less for the same work Smile)

Oh - I wasnt clear: I meant pediatric sensory gyms- are there OTA’s working in those?

newlywed613

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:57 pm
Oh Smile yeah, tonz! At least in nj I know alot of cotas emplayed in sensory gyms but cud b it depends where you go
Also there needs to b an ot emplyed there too id assume to technically suprrvise here n there dependong on how many yrs experience u have

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 2:32 pm
What is the pay for an OTA in NYC in an outpatient rehab place versus a brooklyn outpatient rehab place? And I'm wondering if you get very good medical insurance and how much off from your paycheck? Right now I get $24 gross an hour in the medical filed but a position that does not require any degree. I have no degree. I pay 400!!!! per month for a low quality insurance. Plus they are third party administrator insurance and I get a lot of bills. Im thinking if its worth going for OTA. Im almost 50 but I will need to continue being in the workforce for a very long time if I continue healthy . I dont have money for down payment yet and have a very high monthly budget due to some nissoyon Hashem sent my way. And for sure its for my benefit.

P.S. BH .The only 2 "investments" I have is a plan for home attendant for if Im permanently sick. Also we have term life policies. Because I work all on the books I hope to have some money from goverment if I get cholila disabled.

newlywed613

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 2:43 pm
In ny in general otas get paid more...cud be upwards of 40 to 45 an hour. If you are interested in early intervention alot of places pay 40 or 45 for a half hour session so that is really nice money! About benefits...it qould depend on where you work. But do keep in mind bieng an ot or ota requires constant on your feet and physical work wether in geriatrics or pediatrics. In simple terms...ots not a sitting job Smile good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics