Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If tzedaka was a tax withheld would it work?
Previous  1  2  3

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 10:48 am
Not everyone sends to the same schools. also why would someone want to give to schools if they don't have kids or not school age kids ?
And many people with many young kids are already using maaser to pay tuition. I can't see anyone who would agree.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:55 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Not everyone sends to the same schools. also why would someone want to give to schools if they don't have kids or not school age kids ?
And many people with many young kids are already using maaser to pay tuition. I can't see anyone who would agree.

People really use maaser to pay tuition? I heard that you're not allowed to do that.

Personally, I think that a 5% tax to yeshivos WOULD be a good idea, for exactly this reason. The only caveat would be that there should be extreme transparency with someone very trusted overseeing this, and would give all schools in that town equally. And yes, I think that even people who don't have school age kids should give part of their maaser to the yeshivos. After all, where better?

But of course, this can never happen as there is no way to force anyone to give a penny. We don't have our own government or any way to actually enforce a tax...

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:57 pm
we don't use our maaser money to pay tuition but I know people who were told by their rabbi that that's what they should do.
These people aren't exactly going on luxurious cruises... I would imaging that if you could afford both thats ideal. Some schools charge full paying parents more then the cost to educate so the difference can probably be counted as maaser even for wealthier people but I'm not only referring to that.

giving all schools equally is complicated, does it go by school or by student count, likew will the bigger school get more money? Lets say one school doesn't teach secular subjects, not everyone would want to subsidize that, what about a coed school where the girls learn gemara... there are different hashkafas...

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
we don't use our maaser money to pay tuition but I know people who were told by their rabbi that that's what they should do.

I heard that too. A person is allowed to use maaser to pay their tuition and to support their children in Kollel, and to pay their grandchildren's tuitions.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that too. A person is allowed to use maaser to pay their tuition and to support their children in Kollel, and to pay their grandchildren's tuitions.

We are very tight. We were told we can’t use maaser for tuition, or any Mitzva /thing we are obligated /need to do (like buy an esrog).
My husband also did a lot of research into this as well and saw the same conclusions. Not ch”v judging anyone, and if someone got a psak it’s obviously totally okay, just saying that it’s not so clear cut & u do need to ask.

Kollel & grand-children may be different because those are both not something one must do, but honestly didn’t look into either since we are very far from that stage.

If everyone gave a percentage of maaser to an organization which then distributed it to schools -I’d actually be very happy to contribute my maaser that way. Considering though that it’s halachically okay, AND that the schools would be honest & lower tuition accordingly.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:05 pm
also after one is 'done" paying tuitions there is paying for chassunahs (hopefully!) helping marrieds, grandchildren, and the like. Sometimes older people can be in reduced financial circumstances and need to also plan of retirement. Sometimes there are healthcare financial issues associated with aging R"L.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
We are very tight. We were told we can’t use maaser for tuition, or any Mitzva /thing we are obligated /need to do (like buy an esrog).
My husband also did a lot of research into this as well and saw the same conclusions. Not ch”v judging anyone, and if someone got a psak it’s obviously totally okay, just saying that it’s not so clear cut & u do need to ask.

Kollel & grand-children may be different because those are both not something one must do, but honestly didn’t look into either since we are very far from that stage.

If everyone gave a percentage of maaser to an organization which then distributed it to schools -I’d actually be very happy to contribute my maaser that way. Considering though that it’s halachically okay, AND that the schools would be honest & lower tuition accordingly.

That's what I was wondering, because I never heard that masser money can be used for tuition for your own child. And we asked. I'm curious where this heter comes from.

Tuition for grandchildren and supporting children in kollel is a different story and you can use maaser money for both. Again, we asked.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics