Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Unibrow on boys

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:25 am
Teen DS has a noticeable unibrow. I have never said a word to him about it, or heard anyone else mentioning it to him.

He just brought it up to me and asked how he could get rid of it. I wasn’t sure what to say as I vaguely recall it’s a problem halachically for males to remove facial hair (although men in my community do shave so perhaps I’m confused)?

Does anyone know what the deal is in this situation? I’d love to help him get rid of it, as apparently he’s self conscious about it, just want to do it in the most preferred (halachically) manner.

In case this makes a difference... we’re yeshivish

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:28 am
This is a question for your Rabbi.

malki2

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:35 am
I know that it's done but I don't know specific sources. Ask your more open-minded LOR. It's classically assur for men to do "feminine style" grooming, but you can probably get a heter based on the current prevalence for males to remove this hair so it's no longer an exclusively "female" practice. Combined with the fact that it's on his face and therefore embarrassing.

malki2

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:35 am
Sorry, removed a double post.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:39 am
There is such a concept since a unibrow disqualifies a kohen, but can be rectified.
Ask a knowledgeable Rav.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:55 am
Iymnok wrote:
There is such a concept since a unibrow disqualifies a kohen, but can be rectified.

Surprised You learn something new every day!

I would consider it like trimming back nose hairs. It's basic grooming, not "pretty grooming". If he were shaping his eyebrows to have a more delicate arch, then I'd be worried.

I don't consider the stuff that grows in the middle to actually qualify as an eyebrow, because it isn't over the eyes. They should call it a "nose brow".

Anyway, ask your rabbi, but I'd do it if it really bothered DS.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:32 pm
My dh shaves between his eyebrows so that he can have two distinct brows. He asked his rav many years ago said tweezing or waxing them into shape would be a halachik problem, but running the shaver between them in order to have two brows instead of one is not an issue.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
My dh shaves between his eyebrows so that he can have two distinct brows. He asked his rav many years ago said tweezing or waxing them into shape would be a halachik problem, but running the shaver between them in order to have two brows instead of one is not an issue.

Please don’t pasken. Your rabbi answered your dh and every person has to get their own psak.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:25 pm
My son has one as well and our rabbi said it was fine to remove the hairs in between to make the eyebrows look distinct. My very frum relatives in Bnei Brak do as well. They just tweeze; my son has been going for electrolysis.

tzimip

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:33 pm
I have a relative who either did electrolysis out laser. Not sure what. Im pretty sure he asked a rav first
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions