Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
My Liquor Woes

happy to be me

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:55 am
Every year I make chocolate liqueur and coffee liqueur for Purim. My recipes got misplaced during a recent move. If anyone has a good recipe that she can post, I would greatly appreciate it! Hoping some imamothers can come to the rescue here! Smile
As an aside, which is the correct spelling, liqueur or liquor?

Last edited by happy to be me on Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 10:54 am
I'm sorry you misplaced your recipe. I can only offer help with your side question. I learned something new today.

"Generally speaking, liquor is not sweet, while liqueurs are. However, many liquors are available in flavored forms, which just adds to the confusion. Liquors are the basis of a drink while liqueurs are mainly used as flavoring agents in mixed drinks (but many can also be enjoyed on their own)."

It gets quite technical. Read the rest here:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....07030

mammale

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:41 am
This one is good
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....ueur/

happy to be me

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:56 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I'm sorry you misplaced your recipe. I can only offer help with your side question. I learned something new today.

"Generally speaking, liquor is not sweet, while liqueurs are. However, many liquors are available in flavored forms, which just adds to the confusion. Liquors are the basis of a drink while liqueurs are mainly used as flavoring agents in mixed drinks (but many can also be enjoyed on their own)."

It gets quite technical. Read the rest here:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....07030

Thanks youngishbear!

happy to be me

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:01 pm
mammale wrote:
This one is good

Thank you. I think I'll give it a shot. Pun not intended Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:20 pm
mammale wrote:
This one is good

I made this one year and it completely crystalized (at room temperature - it wasn't like I even refrigerated it). I couldn't even get it out of the beautiful glass I had poured it into. Needless to say, I had to come up with new MM for the 3 special people I had made that for.

happy to be me

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I made this one year and it completely crystalized (at room temperature - it wasn't like I even refrigerated it). I couldn't even get it out of the beautiful glass I had poured it into. Needless to say, I had to come up with new MM for the 3 special people I had made that for.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have another recipe that works?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:28 pm
I wish I did.

Dairy Queen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:04 pm
Been making this for years
Chocolate liquer
1) 2 cups sugar
2) 2 1/2 T. cocoa
3) 2 1/2 T. prepared coffee
4) 1/2 t. vanilla extract
5) 1 1/2 cups water
6) 3/4 cup alcohol
7) 4 egg yolks
1) Blend sugar, cocoa, coffee, vanilla and water for 5 mins.
2) Add alcohol and blend for 2 mins.
3) Add egg yolks and blend for 1 min.
It’s even better to boil the water with the sugar first so that the sugar totally dissolves and doesn’t crystalise.

Dairy Queen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 9:05 pm
Btw-
upper case T - tablespoon
Lower case t - teaspoon

mammale

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 10:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Interesting. I made it just last week, and it came out beautifully. I halved the recipe, and used french vanilla coffee ( cuz that's what I had...dh said it had too strong a vanilla flavour but still good). Otherwise I followed the recipe. I don't know much about liquors, and this was a one off for me, so I'm not really in a position to analyze why it worked for me but not for you!

happy to be me

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 4:01 pm
Dairy Queen wrote:
Been making this for years
Chocolate liquer
1) 2 cups sugar
2) 2 1/2 T. cocoa
3) 2 1/2 T. prepared coffee
4) 1/2 t. vanilla extract
5) 1 1/2 cups water
6) 3/4 cup alcohol
7) 4 egg yolks
1) Blend sugar, cocoa, coffee, vanilla and water for 5 mins.
2) Add alcohol and blend for 2 mins.
3) Add egg yolks and blend for 1 min.
It’s even better to boil the water with the sugar first so that the sugar totally dissolves and doesn’t crystalise.

Thank you so much!

happy to be me

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 4:03 pm
mammale wrote:
Interesting. I made it just last week, and it came out beautifully. I halved the recipe, and used french vanilla coffee ( cuz that's what I had...dh said it had too strong a vanilla flavour but still good). Otherwise I followed the recipe. I don't know much about liquors, and this was a one off for me, so I'm not really in a position to analyze why it worked for me but not for you!

I've had that at times . I've been making the same liquor the same way for years and although it is usually delicious, I've had a few instances where it turned into one thick puddingy mess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics