Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does Pandas only exist in the US?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:45 pm
I've never heard of pandas here in EY. My son seems to have some of the symptoms but I don't think the diagnoses even exists here..am I wrong? It also seems like in America only one Dr. diagnoses it.

Strudel

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 5:36 pm
Never heard of it in the UK. We don't have Strep here either. Well, we have it, but it's not seen as s medical emergency.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 5:39 pm
It's certainly prevalent elsewhere, but if doctors aren't recognizing it, children get misdiagnosed and mistreated- usually with some kind of mental illness which lands up causing permanent damage in the child because of lack of proper care.

There are many doctors in the US who treat PANDAS. There is a very active PANDAS website that lists referrals for providers

ETA:. PANDAS Network

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:16 pm
Strudel wrote:
Never heard of it in the UK. We don't have Strep here either. Well, we have it, but it's not seen as s medical emergency.

As far as I know Brits tend not to use the full terminology and call strep throat "throat infection" or "sore throat".
Are you saying that nobody in your immediate or extended family was ever given antibiotics for a throat infection?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:04 pm
As a British immigrant to the US strep was a new thing to deal with. Growing up in England, very rarely if ever, was “throat-infections”/ “tonsillitis” treated with antibiotics. - Here the scare of strep made me run to the doctor with my kids so much more than I would have done back in england. I’m very confused about the whole thing. Do not like the constant antibiotics but also dont feel knowledgeable enough.

Personally, I have never had strep and I am in my 40s.

Anonymous for identifying details

Metukah

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
As far as I know Brits tend not to use the full terminology and call strep throat "throat infection" or "sore throat".
Are you saying that nobody in your immediate or extended family was ever given antibiotics for a throat infection?

We call it tonsillitis and off course it is treated seriously here. Only difference between UK and USA is tgat we don't get throat cultures done here. Docs will prescribe antibiotics based on visibility of infection (pus on tonsils) and fever.

renslet

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:26 pm
Strep and tonsillitis/sore pus throat is NOT the same thing.
Had tonsillitis as a child living in England many, many times.
When I moved to NY and got strep, it was a totally different experience, my Dr actually had told my mother (cuz she was getting nervous with all my sore throats) that strep is tested in the UK when it's necessary but he has never seen anyone with strep.
My cousin gets a strep rash and when he was in England, all the drs in the office wanted to see cuz they had never seen it before.
I still wonder, having moved away from the UK years ago, how come it is so rare there and so so prevalent in Brooklyn. ( I caught it 3 times in four years)

littleprincess

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:38 pm
I know someone in UK who was treated for pandas . I know the mother was in touch with Dr Schulman . Don't know any details how it was treated and who prescribed the anti biotics

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:11 am
what about in Eretz Yisrael?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:21 am
I grew up in the UK, and don't ever remember having such a bad sore throat as the one I caught when I first got to seminary - sem was in Israel, but I was mostly surrounded by Americans.
I remember crying from pain and rushing to pick up the antibiotics. I don't think I ever experienced such intense sore throat growing up.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:19 am
I don't know if they called it PANDAS or something else, but a relative of mine in Israel most definitely had it and was treated for it in Israel. Not sure if they called it PANDAS or if it was more like "here, we can treat your kid's sudden major behavioral reactivity with mega antibiotics" or something in between.

Angel

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:44 am
Actually my neighbors son has PANDAS (in EY)
It's quite scary. He was such a cute boy.
He could get quite aggressive and thats when even I am scarred of him.
She did tell me that only in the US they know how to treat it and she is always in touch with her US Dr. even thought she is not from there.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:04 am
Just because something is not known or recognized in a certain place, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Are there more Autistic people now than there used to be? No, diagnosing just got better. Children are no longer thrown into institutions at the drop of a hat, and hidden from society.

Are there children with Autism in other countries? Of course, but they may be considered to be possessed by demons, driven out of the village, or even looked on as holy wise men.

That doesn't prove that Autism doesn't exist in these places.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:19 am
I live in ramat beit shemesh and my son who is 10 has it.
our local pediatrician diagnosed him

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
I live in ramat beit shemesh and my son who is 10 has it.
our local pediatrician diagnosed him

RBS has some really great doctors, they seem quite up to date. Refuah Sheleimah to your son.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
I've never heard of pandas here in EY. My son seems to have some of the symptoms but I don't think the diagnoses even exists here..am I wrong? It also seems like in America only one Dr. diagnoses it.

Why only one Dr (Schulman)?
My pediatrician in Cleveland treated my son for pandas two years ago.
Why don't you bring out up with your Israeli pediatrician? When we lived in EY, we had a very nice pediatrician. He probably would look something up if asked.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:56 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Just because something is not known or recognized in a certain place, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Are there more Autistic people now than there used to be? No, diagnosing just got better. Children are no longer thrown into institutions at the drop of a hat, and hidden from society.

Are there children with Autism in other countries? Of course, but they may be considered to be possessed by demons, driven out of the village, or even looked on as holy wise men.

Obviously I meant the diagnoses, not the disease. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

How do you know this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics