Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are snoods back in style, or are pre-tieds still "in?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:17 pm
octopus wrote:
The chenille snoods have been around a long time. I wear them but can't stand them. It looks like a bathing cap. So unflattering.

Is peer pressure so strong that you absolutely must lose your personality, preference and individual taste in order to accommodate others?

I'm building a house now and I said "gai faf" to all those who dictate what my taste in design should be. Every room is a different, bold color, and everyone who walks in says, "Wow! You have guts... And it's stunning!" I'm happy with my taste, and people respect that. They also appreciate the beauty of a something that flatters MY home.

Do what flatters YOUR face and body, and most importantly, your personal taste.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:25 pm
Who decides what's in in the frum world? Is it one frum women decides X and everyone copies her? Or is it based on what non Jewish women wear. For example snoods/tichels specifically. I didn't even know that pretieds are not it anymore, but who makes the rules? I genuinely want to know.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 8:17 pm
I can add this to the list of things I learned from imamother - I never realized snoods have a style. All my friends wear wigs.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 8:26 pm
I wear the cable knit only even though I'm one of very few who don't wear the chenille. No offense to anyone here who wears them, but like others have said in this thread, chenilles make most people look plain ugly.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 8:28 pm
No idea what’s in style, but I love pre-tieds, so comfortable, easy and practical. My only issue is they get very stretched out at some point...

The chenille snoods look really nice -off my head! On me they look horrible. And I get way too hot. Oh well.

The Israeli style ones you tie yourself are my favorite in terms of looks, but I don’t find them so practical.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 8:31 pm
Whatever flatters your style and face best, go for it! Mimu Maxi came out with a really nice headscarf that's solid colors that has been very popular for the spring/summer! Subtle printed headscarves are very poplular now as well. Beanies that don't look so "Jewish" are popular now too. I work in retail and see people everyday! And knit berets are always a classic, imo.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 10:54 pm
I find chenille snoods terribly hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention that I look like a mushroom in them. I know that pre-tieds have kind of gone out of style, but I keep wearing them anyway because I find them most comfortable and they suit my face the best. Any time I try something else I end up regretting it. I don't feel like I have to go around feeling uncomfortable and ugly because whoever it is that makes up what is "in" (who probably has way fewer sensory issues than I do, and who probably looks good in any style) decided on a style that doesn't work for me.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 11:08 pm
Love you, Cobalt
Peace sign

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:52 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Love you, Cobalt
Peace sign

Wink

pesek zman

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:58 am
Isn’t this something you wear in the house? He does something you wear in the house have to be in style?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:09 am
ppl. wear them out also

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:11 am
pesek zman wrote:
Isn’t this something you wear in the house? He does something you wear in the house have to be in style?

No, pretty much everyone besides chabad wears head coverings other than wigs at some point outside the house too.

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
Is peer pressure so strong that you absolutely must lose your personality, preference and individual taste in order to accommodate others?

I'm building a house now and I said "gai faf" to all those who dictate what my taste in design should be. Every room is a different, bold color, and everyone who walks in says, "Wow! You have guts... And it's stunning!" I'm happy with my taste, and people respect that. They also appreciate the beauty of a something that flatters MY home.

Do what flatters YOUR face and body, and most importantly, your personal taste.

So happy you are busy building your dream house. Not a good analogy, though. You make it sound like I look better in pretieds but I choose to wear snoods because of peer pressure. I am not hiring a designer to make the perfect head covering for me. I wear snoods because thats what they sell. There are no better flattering choices. In fact, given that there are so many female entrepreneurs, you would think someone would have come up with more choices and more flattering head covering. Pretieds don't look better on me. And I think they look a little strange. Snoods used to look better. The mushroom ones have been around too long. The crocheted ones were beautiful but no one has sold those in a long time.

bunnyrabbit

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:21 am
I find the chenille snoods too hot for warm days, and because I try keep the top part of my ears covered (to cover most of the hair by my "peyos"), the elastic hurts, even when I make it loose. The pretieds with the velvet non-slip band work well for me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:59 am
octopus wrote:
So happy you are busy building your dream house. Not a good analogy, though. You make it sound like I look better in pretieds but I choose to wear snoods because of peer pressure. I am not hiring a designer to make the perfect head covering for me. I wear snoods because thats what they sell. There are no better flattering choices. In fact, given that there are so many female entrepreneurs, you would think someone would have come up with more choices and more flattering head covering. Pretieds don't look better on me. And I think they look a little strange. Snoods used to look better. The mushroom ones have been around too long. The crocheted ones were beautiful but no one has sold those in a long time.

Sorry, it didn't sound like that in your original posting. Take the best of the options available. Agreed. Just do the best you can.
I, personally, wear turbans. Most of the people around me have switched over to chenille snoods, but I just don't look or feel good in them, so I stick to a turban, which does look good on me. Thankfully, my community still sells them.

It must be hard to not like the way you are dressed and not be given many options.

Shuly

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 5:18 pm
Either chenille snoods or the pre-tied that have the extra long tails.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:24 pm
Ive never seen anyone look good in a turban.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:40 pm
I love the idea of frum female entrepreneurs inventing new comfortable ways to cover our hair!!!

You go, women!!!

I'll buy your products!!!

I mostly wear pretieds, but don't love the way I look in them. I think height helps, but that loses the casual aspect of it... and I don't want to look elegant with a tichel. If I want elegant, I wear a sheitel. I want a look that matches my comfy faded denim skirt for quick errands on hot days!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Ive never seen anyone look good in a turban.

Such is your opinion, which doesn't matter much to me. I appreciate the height of turban to elongate my face. I feel good and I'm happy with the way I look. That's all that matters.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:50 pm
Which one is the chenille snood, the one that was in ages ago and went out of style? Can anyone post a link?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics