Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/o do parents send MM to seminary daughters?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:33 am
Do they?
Is this the norm?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:35 am
Definitely not in my day.

But there were girls who sent M"M to their parents.

There was a girl in my seminary from Vienna who went home for Purim, and I sent M"M with her to my grandparents for the first time in my life! She delivered it for me on Purim morning, and they were so excited with the visitor and the M"M.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
Do they?
Is this the norm?

These ones don't!

syrima

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:16 am
We didn't, it's a major expense and we figured that by then DD had made friends and she would get MM from them. We did spring to send her a Chanukah gift basket to share with her roommates bc we figured that's a homesick kind of time, and it was definitely appreciated.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:22 am
Back in the day, my parents "smuggled" a small package of nonperishable items to my best friend and roommate to give to me on Purim. I was very touched, and also very impressed that she had managed to keep it a secret!

It's nice to send if you can but completely unnecessary. There is plenty to do and see on Purim and Shushan Purim in Israel to make it special without the need to send/order m"m from overseas.

rae

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:26 am
I sent MM to my son in Yeshiva last year. He said most boys did get from their parents too. I disagree. I think most seminary girls do get.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:47 am
I sent my son home made hamantashen in Israel and he got charged forty shekels DUTY!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:17 pm
No idea, but if you can manage it I think it's such a nice way to let your dd know you're thinking of her. I never got anything at camp or in seminary unless I specifically asked for it. It would have meant so much to me to get something just because my mother thought it would make me smile.

simba

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:23 pm
I don’t remember anyone getting MM from back home when I was in seminary. I hope by the time my daughter is old enough the whole seminary phenomenon will be abolished!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:25 pm
rae wrote:
I sent MM to my son in Yeshiva last year. He said most boys did get from their parents too. I disagree. I think most seminary girls do get.

Our son's yeshiva sent us a list of places we could buy MM to have delivered to him. We sent.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:27 pm
Yes Hi
In the MM business here

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:12 pm
A small percentage of girls get mishloach manos from their families. It’s definitely not mainstream.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:33 pm
op here. Thank you to all who responded so far. Seems kinda mixed. Just to be clear, I would rather not send. She will be getting and giving many to friends and teachers and it would be an expense that was not
In my budget this month. She’s my oldest, so I didn’t know what was expected.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 5:16 pm
I don't think people mail from the USA. Surprised There are many businesses that send mm to seminaries and yeshivos. I looked at one that delivered to my dd's seminary and it seemed expensive for a very pretty MM with not much in it. I figured my dd would prefer actual nosh. So I asked my niece who is in the same seminary if she could buy some stuff for her and give it to her on Purim. (and I will send her the money)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics