Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Fellow physicians, please help me pick a specialty
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:05 am
Anesthesiology provides great work life balance, there are many possibilities for part time work etc but you’ll likely never make it past the early morning hours if that’s a dealbreaker. It’s shift work so once you’re done you’re done. It includes a nice variety of hands on procedures - IVs, intubations, regional nerve block injections, even TEE for open heart surgery if that’s your game. That being said, there’s definitely personality types that are more and less suited to it (it REALLY helps if you’re a natural introvert), do your rotation and see if you like it. Many people find it dead boring.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:24 am
I'm a hospitalist and I love it. I work 24s, which sounds awful til you think what I can then NOT work. 3 24s in 2 weeks = full time.
Similar shift work schedules exist in ER and hospital anesthesia. Shift work can be the best way to bang out a lot of hours without leaving the kids a lot of times...

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:38 am
Re anesthesia - the start time for residents is usually 6am, for attendings usually 7am. If you work full time there can also be 24 hour call (although you're off the next day). It's nice, because once you're done for the day, you're done. The bad part is you don't know when your day ends - depends on what's going on in the OR.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:48 pm
Look into radiology more- there are tons of remote (work from home) radiology reading companies. And if u want more hands on procedural (and big $$$) u can always go for interventional radiology when u r ready for more challenge/longer hours.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:57 am
What did you decide to go into?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 1:47 am
Pediatric dermatologist. No emergencies.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:03 am
Deleted.
Never mind-didn't realize it was old.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:37 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Deleted.
Never mind-didn't realize it was old.

bumped to see which specialty she chose.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics