Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dd age 14 doesn’t exercise
1  2  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:54 pm
It’s not healthy. I think I should buy a treadmill or eleptical. She said she used eleptical at a friend house and she liked it. Which one is better? Dh think she should use a jump rope but it’s not happening.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:00 pm
Whatever she likes is better. There are other options too. Walking outdoors, exercise videos, swimming, exercise classes etc. Make sure to give over the message that exercise is about health (you can give specific examples of areas in which it improves health), NOT about weight or burning calories.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:10 pm
Encourage her to play a sport, spend time outside, do physical things with friends, etc.

No need to push machines.

forgetit

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:16 pm
Can you find a teen aerobics class? These can be super fun and physically stimulating. Look for someone who includes a variety of mediums and had different 'tools' to spice things up. I think Kangoo in particular is hugely popular for teens, but I would (did) choose a class where this is just one of several methods so that things don't get boring.
I may be wrong, but from your tone it doesn't seem like she's super motivated on her own so I don't know if buying equipment will help matters. It may just turn into an expensive piece of clutter that causes you to nudge your daughter...

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:54 pm
I used to wake up early (6:15) with my high school daughter and do exercise dvds. I miss those days.
How about a zumba dance class?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:37 am
Doesn't she have gym class at school? Many 14 year olds are active just walking to school, playing with friends, doing chores, going to gym class.

Does she really need a structured regiment?

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:00 am
My friends and I bought a home "Dance Dance Revolution" set when we were teens, and we used to compete for fun. Definitely gets you moving.

Is there any kind of sport, dance, or horseback riding lessons in your area? Maybe a pool membership? Maybe she would use a bike if her best friend also has one - they could go riding together.

What does she love?

DVOM

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 3:19 am
I get the sense (could be totally wrong!!) that you want your daughter to be more active for aesthetic reasons. For my children, I find that physical activity increases focus and attention, improves mood, and increases emotion regulation in general. Here's how we make it happen:

My kids are active when were active together as a family. No need to push them to do it. We don't even call it exercise. It's just the family plan for the day. We hike, we bike, we garden, we have competitions on the trampoline. My husband (when he's around!) does daily morning exercises with the kids patterned off of Israeli basic training regimens (very appealing to my little boys!). At friends houses, my kids are also always attracted to treadmills and step machines. But I know that if we got one ourselves it would loose it's shine and they wouldn't end up using it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 4:28 am
If your DD really likes the elliptical, get her one. If you limit her screen time, set it up so that she can have an extra half hour of videos, but she has to be on the machine the whole time.

I think it's wonderful that she wants an elliptical. Most girls her age would prefer to sit and schmooze all day.

Having something in your house is great when the weather is horrible. I don't know where you live, or how convenient things are to you, but when you can't drive her to the gym, dance class, horse riding, the pool, etc. she'll have it right there, no excuses.

You might even like using it, yourself!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 4:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Doesn't she have gym class at school? Many 14 year olds are active just walking to school, playing with friends, doing chores, going to gym class.

This exactly. When I was 14 just walking 20 minutes to school each way ( and it was usually a brisk walk so that we wouldn't be late), running up and down stairs in school multiple times a day to switch classrooms between periods, going out a little with friends at recess and lunch time, etc., playing ball, gym class , kept me pretty active. I don't think I would have wanted the pressure of having to go to a class or use a machine.

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 4:59 am
DrMom wrote:

Many places don't have gym. Even when they do, it's not like I had as a girl. We had calisthenics twice a week before we had structured sport. And we had a complete survey of sports - gymnastics, basketball, field hockey, track, tennis, and dodgeball. This left me with a lifelong habit of exercise.

OP, do you model working out? Your daughter should see you. Will you be using the equipment? I suggest you let her see you using the machine or doing whatever exercise you choose.

I suggest the elliptical machine over the treadmill. The elliptical machine is low impact, and the treadmill is high impact.

One more reason for the elliptical machine that might appeal to a girl is that you can text while working out. I post and answer texts while while working out. The upper body is still.

OTOH, one of my teens loves the treadmill. DC listens to music and goes for a hard run.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:01 am
It's not healthy to be too much on top of a 14-year-old's exercise habits.

momX4

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:49 am
My DD runs on the treadmill when overwhelmed with school or just plain stressed. My ds does the same. I don't push it, I have it in the house. Excercize classes won't work for me because I don't have time to drive everyone all over town. In the long run a treadmill is cheaper. I also have a small trampoline.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 6:14 am
We live oot. Dd doesn’t have a phone or computer. We have a home computer. The problem there are no exercise classes just for girls and she won’t go to mixed classes. The school doesn’t have real gym class. She does homework and talk on the phone when she comes home. I think it’s not healthy not to exercise physically and mentally

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 6:16 am
What about some sort of sport or skill, like ice skating or gymnastics? My girls love those, and it's a great way to get them active and moving without an uber-focus on the exercise aspect.

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
We live oot. Dd doesn’t have a phone or computer. We have a home computer. The problem there are no exercise classes just for girls and she won’t go to mixed classes. The school doesn’t have real gym class. She does homework and talk on the phone when she comes home. I think it’s not healthy not to exercise physically and mentally

Do you model exercising for her?

Often the mixed classes don't have any men at least where I live.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 6:20 am
can she go walking with a friend?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:43 am
amother wrote:

What do YOU do to exercise?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:56 am
amother wrote:
What do YOU do to exercise?

I go to a class that geared towards women so there are basically not men there. Dd won’t go to any secular class like that. The school is very strict and she is very strict about that. I wish we live in Israel or New York. I think I can also use a treadmill or eleptical.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:23 am
I never liked it so I never did it unless mandatory. I was much slimmer still then
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children