Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shopping at regular supermarkets
Previous  1  2

Debbie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:08 am
ectomorph wrote:
I like to support kosher supermarkets.

I expect most of us like to support kosher supermarkets,but often people need to support their bank account and will buy the same products in a regular supermarket if it's cheaper.
There will always be items that are only available in kosher shops though.
The kosher shops get plenty of support from my family,and the general supermarkets don't do too badly either!

momX4

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:43 am
mig100 wrote:
I basically only shop at kosher supermarkets. I'm al ways afraid I'll come home with something not kosher if I do otherwise

I typed up a story that happened to me in a Jewish owned grocery store. Since this isn't anonymous, I can't post it. BH I am used to checking labels for everything, and saved my family and others from eating non kosher. My kids see me do it and follow by example. Don't ever assume anything.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:00 am
ectomorph wrote:
I like to support kosher supermarkets.

I have been enjoying the Jewish stores in Monsey of all types. I think that whenever possible we should shop in Shomer Shabbos stores. I don't think that ShopRite is necessarily cheaper. Apparently there is an inyon to buy Jewish unless there's a significant difference in price.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:08 am
RW wrote:
I can't really pin point what makes me so uncomfortable. I'm just so used to shopping at kosher supermarkets and with other Jews. I really don't see so many frum Jews at ShopRite. I guess not shopping with other frum Jews makes me very uncomfortable. I know that seems weird but I can't seem to shake that feeling when I'm in a regular supermarket. I guess I just feel more comfortable around other frum Jews. My husband thinks that it's really bad that I live in a bubble but I can't seem to help it. I also find it really uncomfortable having to look for hechshers and not be able to just grab anything off the shelves.

Let's leave aside the $$. I'll assume you go for loss leaders and that you're a savvy enough shopper that that's not an issue. And if you can afford it, kol hakavod.

I would just like to say that you can't just grab anything off the shelf. Without getting political, you might have some hashgacha preferences. And watch out around Pesach. You must check individual packaging, says every rav and mashgiach on the planet. One rav I know says that an official Pesach job should be to check every product you bought just to double check

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:08 am
southernbubby wrote:
I have been enjoying the Jewish stores in Monsey of all types. I think that whenever possible we should shop in Shomer Shabbos stores. I don't think that ShopRite is necessarily cheaper. Apparently there is an inyon to buy Jewish unless there's a significant difference in price.

Cereal and soda is way cheaper in chain supermarkets. Bc chains can buy pallets at a time and get a way lower cost and pass on that savings to the customer. Unless the Jewish stores have a secret warehouse... They don't have that sort of buying power.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:33 am
singleagain wrote:
Cereal and soda is way cheaper in chain supermarkets. Bc chains can buy pallets at a time and get a way lower cost and pass on that savings to the customer. Unless the Jewish stores have a secret warehouse... They don't have that sort of buying power.

The frum cereal brands are usually cheaper than national brands of cereal in frum stores. I do agree that the house brand of cereal at Family Dollar is the absolute cheapest cereal. I rarely buy soda for health reasons but DS has a Soda Stream and said that it is the cheapest way to drink seltzer.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:36 am
Shoprite is for sure significantly cheaper in most things especially when its store brand
I usually shop at kosher stores because there are many that are walkable to my house or work place. I'd have to take a good drive to get to regular supermarkets. I'd say I do that bimonthly and stock up. I understand the idea that in kosher market, you see leibers, Geffen, etc and just grab cuz u know it will have good hechsher. In trader Joe's every product has another hechsher and u need to check and then wonder what the interesting hechsher is and maybe text someone to make sure its ok. Or consult your app. While the lady behind you is staring at you staring at the can. I love when I get a chance to go to shoprite or trader joes or target tho. Its something I do on my vacation days

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:45 am
southernbubby wrote:
The frum cereal brands are usually cheaper than national brands of cereal in frum stores. I do agree that the house brand of cereal at Family Dollar is the absolute cheapest cereal. I rarely buy soda for health reasons but DS has a Soda Stream and said that it is the cheapest way to drink seltzer.

I wouldn’t put a frum cereal brand in my mouth if you paid me. I do not eat any “kosher” brands of cereal, soda, ketchup, mayonnaise, and many other things. All of these products are way cheaper in target, Walmart, shoprite, etc...

As to op being uncomfortable amongst non Jewish people. I guess to a certain extent it can be a good thing although it does seem extreme. I can’t relate. I have the opposite problem. I am more comfortable around non Jews.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:59 am
Moonlight wrote:
Shoprite is for sure significantly cheaper in most things especially when its store brand
I usually shop at kosher stores because there are many that are walkable to my house or work place. I'd have to take a good drive to get to regular supermarkets. I'd say I do that bimonthly and stock up. I understand the idea that in kosher market, you see leibers, Geffen, etc and just grab cuz u know it will have good hechsher. In trader Joe's every product has another hechsher and u need to check and then wonder what the interesting hechsher is and maybe text someone to make sure its ok. Or consult your app. While the lady behind you is staring at you staring at the can. I love when I get a chance to go to shoprite or trader joes or target tho. Its something I do on my vacation days

I have been following the ads in the Community Connections to see what the sales are and sometimes there are some good deals in kosher stores.
For me, not only is Walmart, ShopRite, and Target farther away but I tend to make more impulse purchases in stores with greater variety or lower prices so my actual check out total may be the same.
I do appreciate the fact that if I patronize Jewish stores, I help provide parnassa for Jews and am willing to do that unless it's way out of my price range.

anon for this

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 10:11 am
I find chain supermarkets like Shoprite to be much cheaper than kosher stores on packaged and canned foods and paper goods. Shoprite frequently runs sales and doubles manufacturer coupons under $1. These can be combined with store coupons. Sometimes there are supercoupons or catalina offers too. The local kosher groceries won't even accept a manufacturer's coupon on a sale item.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:56 am
I never shop in Jewish owned shops unless it is something only sold there.

Although I have found good deals on "regular" items like fruit or cereal in Jewish shops.

Things like cereal I try and only buy on sale although even then its more expensive then the store brand, but only a very few store brand cereals are kosher here.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:22 pm
I'm not Rothschild why would I pay everything more. I avoid Jewish shops as much as possible.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:43 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I wouldn’t put a frum cereal brand in my mouth if you paid me. I do not eat any “kosher” brands of cereal, soda, ketchup, mayonnaise, and many other things. All of these products are way cheaper in target, Walmart, shoprite, etc...

As to op being uncomfortable amongst non Jewish people. I guess to a certain extent it can be a good thing although it does seem extreme. I can’t relate. I have the opposite problem. I am more comfortable around non Jews.

That’s very sad.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:46 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s very sad.

What in her post is sad to you?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 2:03 pm
I was at Evergreen today and got their deals which are really good this week. I did find some good deals last week at ShopRite because I was in the neighborhood but don't be so quick to write off the frum stores this week.
The Pesach tent is up and I am eager to grab some deals next week. Parking is more of a challenge so best to get an early start.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics