Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Comment on report card
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:42 am
It's not a bad comment, but it is unusual that she wrote something that you are well aware of - which is obvious if he's already receiving a lot of help.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:48 am
The school probably has rules about omitting certain grades, ie she could not leave anything blank even if she had originally intended to. As for the grades themselves, it's not totally subjective. He would have to meet certain criteria to receive a different grade (S?). It's not personal, and it doesn't reflect badly on him or you. It's simply a reflection of his ability to perform the work that his class is doing.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:48 am
flmommy wrote:
Email her and ask for clarification.

Please don't. What will OP say? "You hurt my feelings with x's report card. I wish you would have worded out differently."
What would that accomplish?

OP, as a mother, KNOWS that her son needs continued help and support educationally, and is "NI" in every area.
This report card is telling the truth, which it is meant to do.

I was once speaking to a mother who was all upset that students are given grades lower than As and Bs. Really? And she was upset that a teacher wrote in a progress report that her daughter needs to work on controlling her talking and giggling in class.
Should the mother have been contacted first? Yes. But it's still find for a teacher to communicate and report in a report card.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:51 am
Simple1 wrote:
It's not a bad comment, but it is unusual that she wrote something that you are well aware of - which is obvious if he's already receiving a lot of help.

I don't think so. Report cards are a form of documentation.

In the same vein, why write that Shprintzy is a baalas middos and excelling academically, which parents already know?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:02 am
The worst part of report cards is that my principal makes us write a comment about about every below average grade. I can have a student who is excelling in all other areas, but I'll have to include a comment about his below average decoding.
Like another poster stated, it's mostly about the iep and services. The student can lose services if the comment doesn't reflect his difficulties.

If the teacher told you she wouldn't grade certain areas, feel free to call her to ask about it. It's possible that she forgot and can change the grade now.

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
I don't think so. Report cards are a form of documentation.

In the same vein, why write that Shprintzy is a baalas middos and excelling academically, which parents already know?

I guess I'm not used to it. My experience was that when a school needs to communicate anything practical, they do it with a phone call or meeting. Report card comments usually tend to balance the truth with an over positive feeling.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:25 pm
I think she meant to say, that the school is doing the best they can with all the supplemental stuff, and any additional help that he can get would only be from home and not from the school, since they are maxed out in time.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:56 pm
Like some of the other posters, I think she meant is to be encouraging as she stated that it was possible for him to learn at grade level with more support. She opened it with acknowledging his strong points - that he is a lovely human being albeit one who currently needs academic help.

I am not sure how closely you communicate with this teacher and others. Instead of feeling defensive, could you perhaps use it as an opportunity to seek some specific help from this teacher (or others). Are there specific things you can be doing with him that might be more helpful than what you are currently doing - it's no shame to seek pedagogic insight from experts.

STMommy

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:56 pm
I disagree with a lot of posters - my sensitivity, I guess - I would interpret the comment as a dig against my parenting.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:11 pm
STMommy wrote:
I disagree with a lot of posters - my sensitivity, I guess - I would interpret the comment as a dig against my parenting.

Report Card is about the child, not the parents.

Would be interesting if the teachers did issue report cards about the parents.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:

I see her point. The comment said he could be on grade level with additional supports at home. OP could easily interpret that as suggesting that if she were only willing to put in some time and help her child, he'd be doing better.

I don't think that's what was meant, but I see the point.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:16 pm
Quote:
His English teacher, whom he is barely in class for but he loves her, wrote a comment that I was very taken aback with, especially since she just made him student of the month for the third time this year already....I am not super upset over it but having second thoughts about the nice mishloach Manos I was going to give her

If you think his teacher prepares her lessons every day, makes student of the month boards, puts all her energy into your child's well-being, because she wants a nice mishloach manos from you, then you need to adjust your attitude.

Teachers care about your children. If they were just looking to make money, they would have chosen a different career. They should be treated with a lot of respect, not like your employees.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:39 pm
When I write ieps I have to be honest about the negatives so the student will get the services they need. And you admitted that ds gets help in every subject which means he is behind even if it hurts to read. But I would call the teacher and ask what she means about support at home. Is there something specific she wants you to do at home?

Laiya

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Please don't. What will OP say? "You hurt my feelings with x's report card. I wish you would have worded out differently."
What would that accomplish?

Maybe not email, but calling is fine, to ask for clarification. Rather than speculate about what the teacher really meant, OP can just ask.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:

Would also be interesting if schools allowed parents to rate teachers, as in colleges and universities, and took feedback seriously.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 2:14 pm
Regarding the "support at home", I would approach the teacher like this:

"We're already doing so much to help DS. Can you think of anything we should be doing that is more effective? What can we do to fill in the gaps with your curriculum?"

In other words, if someone offers a criticism, they need to be held accountable by offering a solution. Come at it with an attitude of teamwork with the teacher, instead of feeling confrontational and defensive.

Get over your ego, and ask yourself "What is the best way to handle this, so my kid gets the maximum benefit?"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics