Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shore Children's Dental (near Lakewood)
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:35 am
Does anyone have experience with this dental group? Are any of the dentists better than others? Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Jason? Is he good?

TIA!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this dental group? Are any of the dentists better than others? Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Jason? Is he good?

TIA!

Following Smile Tongue Out

mommy201

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:09 pm
Yes! Amazing Dentist practice. Very kid friendly. I especially like Dr. Jason. He is calm, nice and capable.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:11 pm
Is that the place that sedates kids to fill cavities?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:

My son had several cavities filled there. I didnt even hear an option about sedating him. They numbed his gum and filled the cavity

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:

Yes. They use laughing gas

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:45 pm
OP here. I took my daughter there this morning for some work and I am quite upset. They had told her at her checkup that if she did not wiggle out two baby teeth by the time she came back, they would take them out at this visit. She did wiggle them out, but they decided to pull two other baby teeth instead. One of them does not even have the permanent tooth visible yet underneath - there was no reason for them to pull that tooth except that they had decided to collect money for two extractions in advance. It is painful and bloody, and was totally unnecessary.

They had also scheduled her for sealants on three teeth. But they put sealants on SEVEN teeth, four of them the teeth adjacent to the canines - which were very smooth and no reason for sealants. Those sealants were unnecessary and are probably liable to do more harm than good. Again, probably so they can collect insurance for them.

See images. Image 1 is what they had planned. Image 2 is what they did - and I doubt teeth 5, 12, 28, & 29 should have gotten sealed.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:53 pm
That's not good at all. Wasn't a parent with your dd? How did all of this take place without consent? I definitely wouldn't continue using a practice after that experience.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:39 pm
I was with dd. We were coming in mainly to fill a cavity. Here's how the visit went:

Dd sat in the chair. The hygienist told me that they are going to take two x-rays. I said - huh? Why? I don't want her to have x-rays, we are here to fill a cavity. She said - would you rather speak to the dentist before we do it? I said yes.

Dr. Jason came in and said we need to do x-rays on both sides (she had a cavity on one side.) I asked why. He gave me the speech about not being able to see between the teeth. And that if there is a cavity in the tooth that is being filled, insurance won't cover a second cavity for a year after a filling. So we need to find out now if there is a cavity between the teeth (ok, not sure why they wanted to do x-rays on the other side). Mind you, at her checkup, I had asked not to do x-rays and the hygienist had told me no need for x-rays since there was space between her teeth. Anyway, I fought Dr. Jason for no x-rays. Turns out, he pulled the tooth next to the one with cavity, so he was PERFECTLY able to see the ENTIRE surface of that tooth - so there was CERTAINLY no need for an x-ray.

Then he told me that he's going to pull the teeth. I said - the teeth already fell out. So he said, well there's two more that he needs to pull. One was pretty shaky. I said OK for the shaky one, but I don't want you to pull the other one. He said he needs to because otherwise it will cause issues with her gum. I asked - is there a tooth already growing in underneath. He said yes. I said OK. But it was a lie - there is no tooth erupting yet where he pulled that tooth. There was absolutely no reason for that tooth to come out. I made a mistake for consenting to it and I feel terrible.

Then he said he needs to do sealants. I said OK. I did not dream he would do them on the teeth so close to the front, I thought he would only do them on the back molars. I did not ask him which teeth he plans to do them on since I have never had such an experience at a dentist before (we are new to this practice). My kids have gotten sealants before at other dentists - but only on teeth that actually needed them! I could not believe that he was putting sealants on such smooth teeth. Once I realized, though, it was too late. And besides, he already had gotten a hard look on his face and was not very receptive to what I had to say at that point.

I do not plan to continue using them. I plan to pay out of pocket and use a dentist that is not covered by our insurance.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
I was with dd. We were coming in mainly to fill a cavity. Here's how the visit went:

Dd sat in the chair. The hygienist told me that they are going to take two x-rays. I said - huh? Why? I don't want her to have x-rays, we are here to fill a cavity. She said - would you rather speak to the dentist before we do it? I said yes.

Dr. Jason came in and said we need to do x-rays on both sides (she had a cavity on one side.) I asked why. He gave me the speech about not being able to see between the teeth. And that if there is a cavity in the tooth that is being filled, insurance won't cover a second cavity for a year after a filling. So we need to find out now if there is a cavity between the teeth (ok, not sure why they wanted to do x-rays on the other side). Mind you, at her checkup, I had asked not to do x-rays and the hygienist had told me no need for x-rays since there was space between her teeth. Anyway, I fought Dr. Jason for no x-rays. Turns out, he pulled the tooth next to the one with cavity, so he was PERFECTLY able to see the ENTIRE surface of that tooth - so there was CERTAINLY no need for an x-ray.

Then he told me that he's going to pull the teeth. I said - the teeth already fell out. So he said, well there's two more that he needs to pull. One was pretty shaky. I said OK for the shaky one, but I don't want you to pull the other one. He said he needs to because otherwise it will cause issues with her gum. I asked - is there a tooth already growing in underneath. He said yes. I said OK. But it was a lie - there is no tooth erupting yet where he pulled that tooth. There was absolutely no reason for that tooth to come out. I made a mistake for consenting to it and I feel terrible.

Then he said he needs to do sealants. I said OK. I did not dream he would do them on the teeth so close to the front, I thought he would only do them on the back molars. I did not ask him which teeth he plans to do them on since I have never had such an experience at a dentist before (we are new to this practice). My kids have gotten sealants before at other dentists - but only on teeth that actually needed them! I could not believe that he was putting sealants on such smooth teeth. Once I realized, though, it was too late. And besides, he already had gotten a hard look on his face and was not very receptive to what I had to say at that point.

I do not plan to continue using them. I plan to pay out of pocket and use a dentist that is not covered by our insurance.

I went recently and felt the same way. they told me that my insurance pays very well and then proceeded to tell me all the work my daughter needs (14 cavities) after I had gone to another dentist the week before who told me 2... more to the story but im never going back there.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I went recently and felt the same way. they told me that my insurance pays very well and then proceeded to tell me all the work my daughter needs (14 cavities) after I had gone to another dentist the week before who told me 2... more to the story but im never going back there.

Wish you would've posted earlier... before I went....

At least my daughter's cavity was real - I did not make an appointment to fill it till I actually poked in a dentist tool and felt the cavity myself. I think I felt it, at least. I am not a dentist...

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:57 pm
That's horrible. I'm so glad you're publicizing it.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:02 am
amother wrote:
Wish you would've posted earlier... before I went....

At least my daughter's cavity was real - I did not make an appointment to fill it till I actually poked in a dentist tool and felt the cavity myself. I think I felt it, at least. I am not a dentist...

sorry this just recently happened and I wasnt sure it was my just my horror of hearing 14 cavities. also they wanted to put my child out to do the work but since I dont have jersey care my health insurance wont cover the general anesthesia for dental work....talking like 2k just to be put out!!!!

a bad taste in my mouth isnt even the word I would describe.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
sorry this just recently happened and I wasnt sure it was my just my horror of hearing 14 cavities. also they wanted to put my child out to do the work but since I dont have jersey care my health insurance wont cover the general anesthesia for dental work....talking like 2k just to be put out!!!!

a bad taste in my mouth isnt even the word I would describe.

I had a similar experience at tender smiles. Dd is a difficult patient and they only agreed to treat her for 2 cavities if they completely sedate her.

So where should we go with our young children? Who is trustworthy and patient?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:48 am
Is their a dental school in your area? I took my kids to a dentist (OOT) that took my insurance and had a very similar experience to you - they told me DD needs 8 CROWNS and should be fully sedated!!! I went to the dental school near me for a second opinion and they filled 6 small cavities instead. I find them very pleasant to work with and super honest. The dentists allowed to work on children are all fellows - so very far along in their schooling, and a real dentist is always there to first approve the treatment plan and then finalize everything went well before we leave

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:29 am
Hate them.
I have a special needs child with severe disabilities and they berated me for her teeth’s condition as if I even have the option of brushing them properly and then charged me way above the estimate for the sedation work . A hospital fee (?!) for 1500 wasn’t disclosed. I left them.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:42 am
purple - where do you take her now? I need to find another dentist.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:16 am
OP here. Oh, and I forgot to mention, when he said he was going to pull the tooth, I asked if it would need numbing. I figured if it does not need to be numbed then it's probably really loose. Dr. Jason said, no, it won't need to be numbed. Then he proceeded to do it, and said, it just needs a little jelly. I realized, too late, NUMBING JELLY. I never would have agreed to have him pull that tooth - he lied to me.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
purple - where do you take her now? I need to find another dentist.

Dr Semah. Love them

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Is their a dental school in your area? I took my kids to a dentist (OOT) that took my insurance and had a very similar experience to you - they told me DD needs 8 CROWNS and should be fully sedated!!! I went to the dental school near me for a second opinion and they filled 6 small cavities instead. I find them very pleasant to work with and super honest. The dentists allowed to work on children are all fellows - so very far along in their schooling, and a real dentist is always there to first approve the treatment plan and then finalize everything went well before we leave

Is there a dental school in Lakewood? Looking for a cheaper place. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics