Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Are either of these safe?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:19 pm
Being upstairs while oven or stove is on downstairs (after checking that there are no food spills etc)?

Answering door for a meshukach after dark when no one else other than little kids are home?

lfab

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:22 pm
First one I do all the time. Second one I personally think is extremely unsafe and I won't ever do it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:31 pm
lfab wrote:
First one I do all the time. Second one I personally think is extremely unsafe and I won't ever do it.

This.
But put a timer on your phone to remind yourself to turn off the food.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:37 pm
Its safe to leave a stove on if you're upstairs.
I never open the door at night. Even if DH is home.

abaker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:45 pm
Yes to #1.
No to opening the door at night. I don't answer the door unless it's someone I know, even during the day time.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 8:50 pm
I think both are unsafe

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:20 pm
lfab wrote:
Me too, on both scores. I don't let strangers in when I am alone with kids.

pause

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:23 pm
I leave things on the fire or in the stove, but like ra_mom, after forgetting too many times to shut the flame in time, I turn on a timer - even if I'm in the kitchen!

I don't open the door in the evening or night if DH isn't home. If it's someone I know, they know my phone number to call me and tell me they're outside and I should open up.

Optione

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 9:34 pm
I'd only go upstairs if 1. I just need to get something, use the restroom, etc. OR 2. I set the timer on the oven.

I don't open my door at night. If my husband's there, he usually does.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 10:23 pm
If you’re baking a cake, you’re going to hang out downstairs for 1.5 hours until it’s ready?? Most people won’t do that!

Most people also don’t open the door when they don’t know who it is.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:03 pm
Am I that crazy that I'll put chicken in the oven (covered) for 1.5 hours and take my toddler to the park for a little?

I don't answer the door if my husbands not home. (Truthfully, I run to my room and daven that they leave lol). But growing up we always answered the door when my father wasn't home, maybe it's an age/stage thing? Friends from the block were always coming and we lived in a safe oot community. It took some getting used to to not answer the door here.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 11:10 pm
Wow, I have never lived in a home with more than one floor, it never occurred to me that one might need to chain themselves to one floor while something is cooking!

And another vote for definitely do not open the door please.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:32 am
Am I the only one who puts my chicken into the oven then goes shopping and comes home 2 hours later to a delicious smelling dinner?

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
Am I that crazy that I'll put chicken in the oven (covered) for 1.5 hours and take my toddler to the park for a little?

No. You’re not crazy. Everyone I know does this. There’s no other way to make dinner! Smile

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:23 am
Today's ovens shut off after timed baking if you set it. With stovetop cooking at night & you go upstairs to your bed...you might fall asleep & burn the food or worse

rowo

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:15 am
I do both

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:23 am
You have to know how reliable your oven is, and judge for yourself. If it has an automatic shut off, gas or electric, old wiring at the outlet, so many variables.

My ADD brain needs a kitchen timer or I will burn everything. Crock pots are my friend. Needless to say, but I'm saying it anyway - WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CHECKED YOUR SMOKE AND CO DETECTORS???

I'm a single woman, and I always check the peep hole before I open the door, day or night. I never open to a collector after dark. Even during the day, when I open the door it's just a few inches, and keep my foot placed so that it won't open further. Tzedaka money is kept right next to the door, so I don't have to step away.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 7:42 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Being upstairs while oven or stove is on downstairs (after checking that there are no food spills etc)?

Answering door for a meshukach after dark when no one else other than little kids are home?

No to both. No second floor here. But I do have a basement and occasionally need to take something out of the dryer. So I take my phone with me for emergencies....(like if I would trip on the bottom step, for example c"v) But not to answer and have l=o=n=g conversations with a friend.

And I would never open the door when I'm home alone or with little ones even during daytime hours.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:27 am
I also don't open the door unless DH is here, and we have cameras.

What the fear of leaving stuff in the oven? I leave the house even.

clowny

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who puts my chicken into the oven then goes shopping and comes home 2 hours later to a delicious smelling dinner?

You’re absolutely not the only one. Most people I know do this very often including myself. It’s the only way to have dinner ready on time when you’re out all day. It’s just as safe as a lot of other things we do like leaving a crockpot on for 24 hours.

I live in a neighborhood that becomes very quite after the rush hour of busses and I don’t feel comfortable opening the door unless I know who it is. At night I open the door only if Dh is home. If Dh and I are not home I don’t allow my kids to open the door at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics