Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Is it me? Or are they never truly comfortable?
1  2  Next

IMO

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:11 am
For the first time ever, I am getting a custom made wig.
It was ready today and I tried it on.
I was so excited!
But, Crying there’s either a problem with the fit or a problem with me.
The cap is definitely not too small, there’s even too much space that she said she should take in.
But I feel tightness just above my hairline and temples. When I took my wig grip off and kept the wig on, I no longer felt the tightness but I always wear a wig grip so removing it is not an option.
It feels like the wig is giving me a little face lift.
The sheitelmacher thinks I’m just sensitive but wants to work with me.

Do you ever feel this sensation I’m describing with your wigs?
Like the weight of the wig is pulling your face up and feels like eventually it will slide backwards..
(When I tried on a similar net alone without hair, it felt fine)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:19 am
I have the same problem with wig grips. They are like bras. Comfortable at first, but over time they turn into torture devices.

When I come home, it's a race to see which comes off first, the wig or the bra.

I originally thought the wig grip would be better, because my smooth hair didn't work with the snap combs.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:26 am
I have more pain from a wig grip than I do from combs. The combs make me bald spots though. I'm never comfortable in a wig and get migraines. If I wear a grip for tichels I feel that same pain. Some people have a sensitivity to the pressure on the hairline

IMO

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:29 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have more pain from a wig grip than I do from combs. The combs make me bald spots though. I'm never comfortable in a wig and get migraines. If I wear a grip for tichels I feel that same pain. Some people have a sensitivity to the pressure on the hairline

But I find when I don’t use a grip, the wig slips backwards as I’m wearing it. Also, I wear a wig grip with my old wig, which is much less hair, and it feels fine.
Sad

suzyq

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:42 am
You can have the velvet sewn into the cap of your sheitel - it works like a wig grip but is a TON more comfortable. It's made a huge difference in my sheitel wearing.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:47 am
suzyq wrote:
You can have the velvet sewn into the cap of your sheitel - it works like a wig grip but is a TON more comfortable. It's made a huge difference in my sheitel wearing.

Brilliant idea! I'm going to cut up one of my grips and sew it in.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:50 am
When I was post partum with one of my kids, I got super bad knots in my hair and had to have it majorly thinned out to remove them. The hair stylist made a joke about how much I would like my sheital after but she was totally right! It was finally comfortable and now I wear it all the time with little discomfort. I think my hair under was just too thick.

srbmom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:08 pm
I have never been able to wear a wig grip. Tried it with 3 different wigs and a tichel and it makes me crazy. I'd rather have a bald spot than a perpetual headache

heidi

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 12:29 pm
Been wearing shaitels for almost 3 decades. They ALWAYS hurt. As do snoods or anything else on my head.
It's sooooo awful. First thing I do when I get home is whip off whatever is on my head.
No difference for me between wig grips and clips. Equally bad.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 1:37 pm
Listen, they're never fully comfortable, but what you're describing sounds extreme (being that your other wig doesn't feel like that) and you shouldn't have to pay for something like that.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 2:30 pm
OP, I may be the only one saying this but no, a shaitel should not feel uncomfortable. When I was a kallah, I bought a shaitel that felt exactly like you're describing. Not painful, but somewhat tight, slooooowly creeping back, with a very mild pressure. It felt good to remove it after wearing it for some time. The shaitel macher told me "well of course, what do you expect, its a shaitel. Shaitels are always a bit uncomfortable, as long as its not hurting you..."

NO NO NO. Fast forward to my next shaitel macher, who told me a shaitel should feel like youre wearing a hat. Maybe a bit snug, but comfortable, no pressure or tightness. It should just feel like something is sitting on your head.

None of my shaitels are high end or super expensive. They all fit me nicely and are comfortable enough to wear for hours on end. (I happen to hate the feeling of hair around my neck but the shaitel itself is super comfortable). When I remove it after a long day, I do NOT need to say "aaaaaahhh" and massage my scalp, like I did with my first wig.

Ive worn them with and without wig grips. Believe me-your shaitel should not feel uncomfortable.

kenz

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 2:37 pm
I wonder if you are all wearing wig grips that are too small. I am very prone to headaches and the Milano wig grip changed my life. Combs, clips, etc. were absolute torture before. But I once bought imitation wig grips from a hosiery store and they were much too small and a complete waste of money. If you haven’t tried the Milano version it’s definitely worth a try.

preciousmommy

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:51 pm
I have never used a wig grip. I put a metal, snapping hair clip (the kind used for yarmulkes) on the top of my head, near the hairline. It keeps my sheitel from slipping back, because the comb can’t go past it. I don’t even feel it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 5:11 am
I don't use combs and would never put a band under. I adjust the size with the ribon

thepickled

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 5:18 am
I am really sensitive to clips, combs, wig grips etc. The most comfortable and secure way of keeping my wig on has been to remove all clips and combs and have one small clip sewn about 1.5/2 inches back from the hair line. I clip it in to my hair as I put the wig on. It is vastly more comfortable for me than a wig grip, clips at the temples, or comb in the center. It also holds the sheitel very securely because it can grip on to more hair closer to the center of your head than at the hairline. I feel no pressure or pulling from any specific place.

aliavi

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 5:50 am
Clips and combs can be moved and removed and replaced. As the wig is worn, it stretches. Your cap may have space in the top, but be too tight around the outside. You may need to wear more forward or backward. You may also benefit from having wefts removed which helps with bulk and weight. Keep the extras for when the wig gets old.

I wear a wig grip cap, not just a band. The combs were enough to make me nearly hate the mitzvah. It protects my long hair and helps with a hair bulge.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 7:48 am
Was it measured for you while wearing a wear grip or without one?

nchr

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 8:07 am
Only comfortable if you shave your head or very very short or very thin hair.

IMO

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 9:12 am
suzyq wrote:

Such a good idea! I will mention it to the sheitelmacher, thanks!

IMO

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 9:37 am
little neshamala wrote:
OP, I may be the only one saying this but no, a shaitel should not feel uncomfortable. When I was a kallah, I bought a shaitel that felt exactly like you're describing. Not painful, but somewhat tight, slooooowly creeping back, with a very mild pressure. It felt good to remove it after wearing it for some time. The shaitel macher told me "well of course, what do you expect, its a shaitel. Shaitels are always a bit uncomfortable, as long as its not hurting you..."

NO NO NO. Fast forward to my next shaitel macher, who told me a shaitel should feel like youre wearing a hat. Maybe a bit snug, but comfortable, no pressure or tightness. It should just feel like something is sitting on your head.

None of my shaitels are high end or super expensive. They all fit me nicely and are comfortable enough to wear for hours on end. (I happen to hate the feeling of hair around my neck but the shaitel itself is super comfortable). When I remove it after a long day, I do NOT need to say "aaaaaahhh" and massage my scalp, like I did with my first wig.

Ive worn them with and without wig grips. Believe me-your shaitel should not feel uncomfortable.

Thank you. That was very validating. I still wonder, though, if I’m just ultra sensitive.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels