Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Does anyone drink the booze in the small bottles?
1  2  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:09 pm
Is the liquor like an Xmas fruitcake that gets passed aroundbut never eaten?

Anonymous because I have been wondering if anyone drinks the booze.

I have about 100 assorted mini bottles. I don't regift them. I don't throw them away. They don't bring me joy.

What do you do with yours?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:16 pm
If it's a good bourbon, DH drinks it. Otherwise, it gets added to my collection that eventually gets thrown out.

bobeli

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:17 pm
I used to do the same, but now I regift on the spot for the extra mm the ones I don't like. The good ones Like absolute vodka I use in cocktails I make sometimes or rum for rumballs.
The very bad ones like generic chocolate liquor I throw out

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:30 pm
I use vodka and amaretto for baking. The rest just sit around.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:43 pm
Once every couple of years I discover that I've accumulated enough for all my MM so I don't need to buy any. I know, they don't match, but our family doesn't have that minhag.

I wonder how many of those bottles come from similarly thrifty balabustas who collect, store, and pass them on.

They should come with expiration dates.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:49 pm
I add them to my liquor so they don't go to waste

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 10:07 pm
We're not big alcohol people, but we use them when we want a drink. The size seems to be perfect for us. Also great measurement for cocktails.

Just wondering why you don't regift them? One in each MM and before you know it they're out of the house.

Otherwise use the bourbon for meat, vodka to make a nice cocktail for the Purim table, amaretto for a good cake...

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Mar 19 2019, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 10:07 pm
DH does. He doesn't drink a lot, so one or two of those teeny bottles is perfect for a Shabbos farbrengen!

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 12:38 am
We don't usually get hard liquor but I use the small bottles of sweet wine for cooking

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 1:39 am
Yes

/Chabad

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 2:06 am
PM me for my address. I'll be happy to take them off your hands. I gotta help a fellow amother get her joy back! Very Happy

I love to cook and bake, as well as to have an occasional drink after dinner. They would never go to waste in my house.

imabima

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:07 am
We drink them!

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:10 am
Send them to me! If they’re still around, I regift. We use them when we have company as we have a few friends and relatives who enjoy imbibing. A big bottle would hang around forever. If it’s liqueur, it would end up being pure syrup, no alcohol. I have also used the small bottles in cooking and baking.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:14 am
Yes, DH drinks it. Why not? We don't buy liquor, so that's his chance to have some on Purim. We don't get a ton, like typically between 1-3 bottles.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
We're not big alcohol people, but we use them when we want a drink. The size seems to be perfect for us. Also great measurement for cocktails.

Just wondering why you don't regift them? One in each MM and before you know it they're out of the house.

Otherwise use the bourbon for meat, vodka to make a nice cocktail for the Purim table, amaretto for a good cake...

We don't regift them because DH would rather give full bottles.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:15 am
We rarely receive liquor in mm, but we're not big drinkers so if we need or want some, that's the size I would buy. If you do enjoy alcohol, why don't you use them? I don't get it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:43 am
amother wrote:
We rarely receive liquor in mm, but we're not big drinkers so if we need or want some, that's the size I would buy. If you do enjoy alcohol, why don't you use them? I don't get it.

Those that enjoy alchohol are very specific in their preferences it seems. DH knows this one likes a smokey scotch and this one likes a bourbon and this one only likes a semi-sweet and this one drinks champagne. It seems everyone only likes top shelf. (I need a roll your eyes emoticon. )

When we get the bottles, they are usually part of a theme. In all the years, DH only got one mini- bottle that was interesting to him.

The liquor store was packed last night with shopping wagons loaded up with full bottles. I didn't see anyone buying the minis.

FTR, I am not much of a drinker. I only indulge with wine or champagne and then only with guests who are also drinking a glass.

tzimip

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:52 am
I also put the vodka or rum in my amaretto cake

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:59 am
If it's good booze I don't discriminate based on the size of the container it was poured from. Send them my way, thanks. Smile

acemom

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 4:27 am
I agree with the expiration date requirement.
I never know how old the ones we receive are.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics