Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can anyone please tell me

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:05 pm
can anyone please tell me what the correct MLA rule is ?
I wrote a rhetorical analysis on an editorial from amiLiving magazine
I use 4 quotes from the article in my essay
after each quote I put in paranthesis the page number and paragraph number.

AM I SUPPOSED TO ALSO PUT THE AUTHORS NAME AFTER EVERYTIME I QUOTE HER WHEN THE WHOLE ESSAY IS WRITTEN BASED ON ONE SAME ARTICLE THAT THIS ONE EDITOR WROTE?

if you're good at writing and or know the rules I can pm u the essay if u want to help me plz
thanks on a advance

forgetit

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:15 pm
I'm more familiar with CMOS, so please disregard if this will be confusing. I can just tell you what I know about CMOS. In CMOS there is room for flexibility for these situations. If you can get 4 paragraphs in consecutive order right next to each other you can do a complete indentation for entire quote and change color font or italics (ex of this would be Eytan Kobre).
If they aren't next to each other--which seems to be your case--I wouldn't repeat author's name, and I'm not sure I'd put page and paragraph again in parenthesis each time. Arent they all on same page? How long was that piece? I never saw that being done for a short article.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:40 am
what's cmos?
the quotes are indented. since they're all longer than 4 lines. its not literally one quote consecutive after the other. they're all sandwiched in w some of my words before n after.
the editorial is one page.
my essay is about 2 pages

forgetit

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:03 am
Did they give you specific rules to follow? I would just reference the article/author once and then use different ways of introducing quotes, such as As the author notes: "...." or in the article John Doe says: "...." or In the above referenced piece makes a claim that "...".
If you really need it to be formal and proper and it could affect your grade I'd pay a proofreader to be sure.

STR331

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:13 pm
I believe in MLA you have to use in text citations if you are quoting directly from your source even if it is one source. the authors name and page number must be present. For example.. "apples are very healthy,(Smith 26). or as the famous author John smith says, "Apples are very healthy," (26). Im pretty sure I am correct but don't rely on me if its wrong lol

STR331

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:17 pm
and you need a work cited page in the end

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:23 pm
I always used owl from Perdue. The link for a sample paper should be here:

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/res......html

Also, I used citation machine to generate references at the end.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:54 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I always used owl from Perdue. The link for a sample paper should be here:

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/res......html

Also, I used citation machine to generate references at the end.

This ^^^

Many college Professors refer to this page!

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 10:50 pm
Owl Purdue is an excellent site for help with citations

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:08 am
I don't get it, you are a writer or editor but don't know how to write?

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 2:31 pm
Another vote for Purdue.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 3:10 pm
To make things easier I would look for a second related article I could quote at least once. And, yes, make sure to have a works cited page.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics