Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Ideas for a happy and spiritual purim?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:28 pm
Just wanted to start a discussion about how we ima's can make this purim uplifting and meaningful. I have been listening to shiurim about the special holiness of Purim and celebrating the right way and that yes purim is fun and happy but so much more. Ideas? I am a youngish mommy who would love to have the focus and patience to daven and learn and delve deeply into it but it isn't easy. Inspire me please and some other ima's too. Need practical tips how to take small steps in the right direction if that makes sense.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 8:31 pm
I have always tried to work it out that I get to go daven vasikin before my kids wake up. I find it easier to have kavana when the ladies section at shul is empty and doesn't have kids in costumes walking around. It's a very special day to daven and I use this quiet time to do so before the chaos of the day starts.
It's not always possible but if I'm able to work it out with DH , it usually leaves me uplifted in a spiritual way.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:10 pm
That's a great idea, however where we live there are no shuls. There is one shul, and one shacharis megillah reading. And a later megillah reading before the purim seuda for the community. So we all go together to the shacharis megillah reading. Do you think getting up early and davening at home would have a similar effect? I could make an effort to do that.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:17 pm
Yes, it would. Halevai I get up early and daven a proper shacharis.
I feel that a big part of my avodah is remaining happy and patient even with all the hectic hullabaloo and messing up of schedules and plans.

gigi3

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I have always tried to work it out that I get to go daven vasikin before my kids wake up. I find it easier to have kavana when the ladies section at shul is empty and doesn't have kids in costumes walking around. It's a very special day to daven and I use this quiet time to do so before the chaos of the day starts.
It's not always possible but if I'm able to work it out with DH , it usually leaves me uplifted in a spiritual way.

Excellent idea. Thanks!

Optione

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
That's a great idea, however where we live there are no shuls. There is one shul, and one shacharis megillah reading. And a later megillah reading before the purim seuda for the community. So we all go together to the shacharis megillah reading. Do you think getting up early and davening at home would have a similar effect? I could make an effort to do that.

I say definitely. And if it's nice outside, there's nothing like davening with the sunrise.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
I feel that a big part of my avodah is remaining happy and patient even with all the hectic hullabaloo and messing up of schedules and plans.

This.
If you can carve out time to daven that is wonderful.
Purim is a day for tefila. Informal tefila also is effective.
A lot of our avodah during these years is producing and facilitating, with as much calm and cheer as we can. Even though the producing and facilitating is basically re the physical, the spiritual gains are immense.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 2:08 pm
Just adding a few more ideas:
Dress up. Not necessarily in costume but in Shabbos clothes, or nicer casual.
Bring cheer to others. If you know a shut in, have an elderly friend, etc., visit with your kids. If this isn't possible make phone calls. To grandparents, great uncles and aunts, grandparents' first cousins. Put the phone on speaker and have your kids sing some Purim songs for them.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 5:11 pm
Thank you Ima’s.
Jet black I think I need to do that. Thank you

SuperWify

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:

Love this!! I can’t get up early or I’ll be a grouchy mess all day. Trying to be patient is a wonderful avodah for this day.

Surrendered

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 11:43 pm
Trying to keep a happy calm relaxed mood, regardless of what happens throughout the day. It feels uplifting to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics