Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Giving up Pacifier

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:22 pm
My 5 year old ds gave me his paci and said he doesnt want it. I am worried he will cry by bedtime...advice?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:24 pm
That's great! Decide together on a substitute now, so that it will be in place for bedtime. A special toy, stuffed animal, etc. And get all pacifiers out of the house so there's no going back. Is he getting a big prize for this?

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:28 pm
He has hi blanket and doll in a ddition to the pacifier. I told him he will get a big prize...what if he is really miserable and wint calm down?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:30 pm
You should encourage him. Five is quite old to still have a pacifier.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:33 pm
His older brother never had one so this one is new for me ...

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:41 pm
He made the decision, so don't try to talk him out of it! Longterm paci use means (more) orthodontia later.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:42 pm
Five is old to have a pacifier. Be happy he gave it up.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:48 pm
What if he wants to suck his thumb instead?

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:54 pm
My son also gave his paci up at 5. He was addicted! Didn’t think he’d be okay, but he was totally fine. He realized he’s way too old for it. The first night or two I sat in his room until he fell asleep. It also helped that he knew he would get a very special treat if he made it thru the first night. He did not start sucking his thumb.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 6:56 pm
Beingreal wrote:
What if he wants to suck his thumb instead?

A five year old won't start sucking his thumb unless you give him the idea to do it.

You need be confident and excited about this, and it will spill over to him. If you project doubt and concern, he'll believe he can't do it.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 7:02 pm
I am excited and confident, but he is afraid of cha0nge.. he is crying right now...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 7:14 pm
Why are you afraid of him crying? 5 is past time to give up the paci!!

Teomima

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 7:15 pm
Stay strong, OP! He might cry for a night or two but he'll adjust eventually.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 11:04 pm
Definitely stay strong. I am a speech therapist and have so many cases who's articulation, swallowing, oral musculature, and dentitia have been negatively affected by prolonged pacifier use. 3 years of age is really the latest age a pacifier should be used.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 12:08 am
Beingreal wrote:
My 5 year old ds gave me his paci and said he doesnt want it. I am worried he will cry by bedtime...advice?

My son also gave up his paci at 5. He was addicted and then one day he just took it and threw it out. Went to all the pacis in the house and got rid of them as well. He felt like a million. The second night he found one near his bed and that’s when the fun started.
He took it and didn’t wanna throw it out. He had a hard Time falling asleep the next few nights. But stay strong and support him That he did it Cuz he’s A big Boy etc etc. if he already took the first step it doesn’t pay to go back.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 12:13 am
Beingreal wrote:
I am excited and confident, but he is afraid of cha0nge.. he is crying right now...

He’s crying because he doesn’t know what’s best for him. You’re the parent and you can be confident that he doesn’t need the pacifier. Let him feel YOUR confidence to calm him down. Another SLP here who can vouch for the damage prolonged pacifier use does to the oral musculature, airway, breathing, swallowing patterns, etc.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 1:16 am
I have no qualifications but imho I feel that if he wants it back why not let him have it? He already took the first step so you can let him get to the end goal gradually

devash1

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 2:26 am
My son is 4 and 1/2 and I have been trying to get him to give it up for it quite a long time. He really wanted a bike so I told him that if he throws them all away he will get it. He threw his passys away in the morning and we went the same afternoon to get a a big boy bike. I was thinking that it was going to be very challenging since he was so old but it was totally fine.he had a little trouble falling asleep the first two nights but I stayed with him until he was sleeping and he has been fine ever since which has been about a month. He even found some in the house and then threw them away saying that they are for babies and he is a big boy! He has also been acting so much more mature since then! Stay strong you can do it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children