Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Megillah Reading Vent
Previous  1  2

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:40 pm
So sorry to hear this!

I went to two different leinings both were so quiet B"H
in one they did make an announcement prior to the leining that its so important to hear every word and also to please shut off phones

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:46 pm
I admit, I had my phone on hand during megillah this morning. On vibrate. But only because I knew my DD was giving birth this morning and I was worried and waiting for news.

B"H, she had a girl, best MM ever! And the call came right after Shoshanas Yaakov. (Yes, I stepped out of shul to answer it, even so).

I will operate under the assumption that anyone else with a phone also had a valid reason.

Freilichen Shushan Purim!

crust

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 9:34 pm
Wow imasinger! That's so exciting! Thanks for sharing.
You know? You come across so young at heart that when you post about grandchildren I have to read twice. Your kids are lucky to have such a bubby with such great advice and an overall appreciation of people and children.

Asach nachas!

Librarian

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 9:58 pm
Completely outrageous! On the other hand, I was once at a sheva brochos where a middle aged woman kept answering her cell phone during the Rabbi's speech. I was horrified but none of the other guests seemed to mind at all. Turns out this woman's husband has early onset alzheimers lo aleinu and would call her constantly. Since I was from "the other side" I had no way to know that and did not even think of being dan lkaf zchus. But unfortunately I suspect at least some of the ppl in these 2 minyonim have no excuse....

OutATowner

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 10:41 pm
Oh my that's so frustrating. I can't even comprehend how something like that exists.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 10:51 pm
The lady sitting next to me was on instagram the whole time by megillah. I felt a little sad for her, that she's a frum woman with seemingly so little connection to something that is so important and meaningful to most of us. I wonder why she didn't just stay home.

A different year the two ladies sitting next to me were talking the entire time. If there would have been any empty seats I would have moved but there weren't any.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:32 am
In all of my many years, this is the first year that I have been to megillah readings that were quiet and respectful. It's sad to say that it's an unusual event.

It might have been because of the organization on the shul. This was the first time I went there. They had first and second readings both morning and night, and I went to the second reading each time. There seemed to be fewer kids, and the ones who were there behaved very nicely.

I think that in large shuls, they arrange child care. Someone who has already heard, or is planning on hearing later, volunteers to work in the classrooms. It works out really well. I didn't hear any running around or screaming in the lobby or hallways, either. This shul is a few blocks further than the other one I've been going to, but they've won me over.

If you really want to make a difference in your shul, volunteer to watch people's kids for the first or second reading. It helps parents so much, and makes things nicer for people who want a quiet and focused reading.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics