Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Will Shtisel on Netflix awaken a spark in anyone
1  2  3  4  Next

Will Shtisel on Netflix bring about Baalei Tshuva?
No, not at all, its only a show.  
 43%  [ 26 ]
People might change their opinions of religious people to a small degree, but not enough to make changes in level of religion.  
 48%  [ 29 ]
I think some people will make small changes in their level of religious practice, but nothing major.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I think some people will be affected enough to adopt a more religious lifestyle.  
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 11:29 pm
Will Shtisel on Netflix awaken a spark, the Pintele Yid, and interest some secular Jews in becoming Baalei Teshuva?

Will some non observant people be touched and influenced enough, to make them become observant?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:07 am
No. I don’t think it makes religious life appealing at all.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:11 am
I only watched the trailers so don't take it from me but I feel there's mockery in it.
Mockery doesn't inspire anyone to anything.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:12 am
It was depressing and sad. No.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:16 am
andrea levy wrote:
No. I don’t think it makes religious life appealing at all.

Thats because I assume you dont have and cant fathom children who might have a dozen degrees, but will possibly never give you grandchildren, and a long list of other reasons that irreligious people would definitely find attractive.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:24 am
? What does that even mean, Red?
In any case, why would a person find the Shtisel lifestyle appealing when most of the characters feel trapped and unhappy? I disliked the show intensely, and fastforwarded through the second season just to see if things improved for the characters at all.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:25 am
You know it was shown in Israel originally, several years ago, right?
Pretty sure no Israelis became chozrei b’tshuva because of it.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:27 am
I don't think so because it's so depressing. I didn't find it mocking at all; just depressing. I have secular relatives who actually found it super boring and also depressing. I think they didn't pick up on a lot of the nuanced humor.

But secular people procreate and have strong family ties without religion as well. I don't see what's inspiring about having depressed children and grandchildren as portrayed in the show.

I don't think I understand how this show would inspire someone to want to be religious.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:02 am
WhatFor wrote:
I don't think I understand how this show would inspire someone to want to be religious.

Really? I think people are likely amazed at the fact that no matter what challenges come their way, theres no drugs, alchohol abuse and/or talk about suicide except by Reb. Erblich because of her terminal illness, which is pretty true to life.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:39 am
theres nothing "true to life" about a frum yid choosing to end their life due to terminal illness

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
theres nothing "true to life" about a frum yid choosing to end their life due to terminal illness

I meant that I think its factual (true to life) that suicide happens way less in frum communities than not frum and non Jewish communities.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
Really? I think people are likely amazed at the fact that no matter what challenges come their way, theres no drugs, alchohol abuse and/or talk about suicide except by Reb. Erblich because of her terminal illness, which is pretty true to life.

But that in itself is very insufficient to inspire people. Just because a societal negative factor is not present in a community, that doesn't mean its an inspiration. People get pulled towards positive factors - happiness, beauty, fulfillment etc. So in order for this show to be an inspiration, it would have to at least some of that as its emphasis.

Also, plenty of irreligious people have strong family ties and beautiful families. It's not limited to our communities, and its not limited to religion. Religion does emphasize it of course, but there are other ways to go about establishing beautiful families.

Mormons & Muslims have large families too, and I think they don't have drug or alcohol issues either. (I'm not too familiar with ethnic and religious groups, so I may be wrong with the groups I selected.) Does that mean someone whose children haven't given them grandchildren, or someone with drug and alcohol issues will be inspired to drop their current lifestyle and become a Muslim or Mormon?

icebreaker

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:59 am
The show doesn’t make Chareidi life appealing at all, to be honest. I’m sure there are some who it may attract but I think to most people, Shtisel is just a tv show with no bearing on their lives.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
Thats because I assume you dont have and cant fathom children who might have a dozen degrees, but will possibly never give you grandchildren, and a long list of other reasons that irreligious people would definitely find attractive.

What? You don’t know me.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:41 am
We have a not interested in Judaism jewish friend who is watching shtisel and keeps on coming to my husband with questions like "is this really the way it is in your community? Is xxx true to v life?" (my husband says he doesn't know-never spent time in meah shearim)

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:19 am
That show was about a multi generation Yerushalmi Charedi family. You can't become a ba'al Teshuva and suddenly become a Yerushalmi Charedi person with a large family.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:23 am
amother wrote:

Lots of cigarettes = drugs.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

Many people today dont care about grandchildren. It was the previous generation who did (the ones who are grandparents). Not one of the secular people I know intimately cares about grandchildren. The pressure of reproducing is one of the most absurd frum principles and causes frum married couples struggling to conceive a ridiculous amount of pain, strain and money. Obviously many people do want children, but it should not be a societal obligation but rather a personal decision. Also, many secular people have strong family ties and still dont push grandchildren.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:50 pm
If anything it would turn them off I think. I did t come away with any positive feelings of chaveirim from meah shearim and I’m a regular Lakewooder.

QUEENY

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:47 pm
After I watched it I had a greater desire to speak Hebrew even though I don't know it javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics