Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I love Purim
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:52 am
My street is where it all happens; the music, the bochrim dancing in the street, the cutest costumes ever...
At my stage in life, I neither give nor receive lots of MM. That's fine with me because I don't need it and most of the MMs that we did receive was actually healthy food.
I am trying to get used to the traffic here but the city of Ramapo highway department made my street a one way street yesterday. That helped tremendously.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:50 am
southernbubby wrote:
My street is where it all happens; the music, the bochrim dancing in the street, the cutest costumes ever...
At my stage in life, I neither give nor receive lots of MM. That's fine with me because I don't need it and most of the MMs that we did receive was actually healthy food.
I am trying to get used to the traffic here but the city of Ramapo highway department made my street a one way street yesterday. That helped tremendously.
Wave

I couldn't get to your house yesterday. Waze was sending me on lefts that the cops blocked. Glad you had a nice time.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
Nice post to read. What do you put in your mm? You make 60 wow. Is it chocolate and a cookies? Just curious what goes into 60 mm. I made 12 and it was quite a lot of work.

2 items, different each year but similar packaging - plastic film tied with a ribbon.

This year I did (bought) cookies in a nice package and nuts. Usually we do chocolate and nuts, or some years I make challah, or homemade cookies. One year I did cheese, a tiny pack of crackers, and some cherry tomatoes.

One thing I do feel I miss out on is purim shpeilers. Growing up none would come to our house since we weren't rich enough and nor were our neighbors. None where I live now.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:47 am
It’s my favorite holiday. Writing a Purimspiel and creating a costume gives me a chance to exercise my creativity and giving MM offers me a chance to use up some of the mountain of packaging materials I salvage from one year to the next. I think this year I netted a reduction in volume, which is all to the good.

I like sending MM to nonobservant neighbors whom I’m not close friends with but say hello to in the elevator. I’m not into Kiruv so this is my little bit.

I made but didn’t get around to delivering packages to some friends who live outside my building. Purim on Thursday and working on Friday meant having to do Shabbos prep on Thursday, cutting into my time available for MM delivery. Maybe next time I’ll find some kids to hire to deliver for me.

Excess super-junk like pure-sugar jellybeans, gooey baked goods and other reject MM go to work with me the next day and are put out for the masses. A strong bal tashchis ethic won’t allow me to dump it in the trash but I don’t want it in my house, either. This is the perfect solution. In fact I may have to continue working for the rest of my life instead of retiring, just so I have somewhere to bring this stuff. I don’t think it’s right to give it to a school. Even though they give out junk for Shabbos party and whatnot, I don’t have to be complicit.

My thanks to anyone who gave me KLP chocolate for MM!

mig100

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:56 pm
I looove it too!! Im still on a high!!

Thank s op for starting this thread! We need some positivity on imamother!

shanie5

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:40 pm
We love Purim too. The planning, baking, writing, megillah.
We do most as a family and it's great!

OutATowner

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:56 pm
I love Purim too. Can't write too much now, but I love my community, the planning, the kids' joy... good shabbos all!

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:20 pm
I have noticed one thing. I think the more time one spends in a car (or other small space with immediate family?) on Purim, the crabbier they are about it.

In my neighborhood everyone walks from one to another on Purim (it helps that the frum community is concentrated in one area) and there's a lot of interaction, and a lot of just seeing other people's contagious fun. Later in the day I visit people in another neighborhood and I see a lot of burnout from having spent a lot of time in a car, with just your own cranky kids, stuck in traffic, going from one place to another to drop off MM with little interaction. And then if you're lucky you have a nice seuda to go to but that's hardly a given.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:24 pm
I don’t love or hate it. There are parts I enjoy and other parts I find harder. I enjoyed it more this year as our first year as parents.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics